Yamaha Receiver RX V685 shows only STRAIGHT mode

housebird29

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My 3 months old Yamaha receiver suddenly started showing only STRAIGHT mode on display from previous setting of DD atmos.
Program and Straight button on remote and on panel doesn’t seem to change anything. In pressing pure direct, display off and reverts back to Straight. Another thing I noticed is - upon start up it will show a random DSP mode name for few seconds before changing back to STRAIGHT. Checked the only input I have and it’s setting and it looks fine. Any idea what could be the reason ?? Thanks

I'd suggest a fault. I'd also suggest you try a factory reset prior to then contacting the retailer you purchased the receer from. If the reset doesn't rectify the issue then you should persue returning the unit for repair or a replacement.

There's no reason why the STRAIGHT mode would or should persistently be invoking itself in the manner you describe. The receiver should ordinarilly revert to the mode it was previously set to after pressing the STRAIGHT mode button while the STRAIGHT mode is engaged. Pressing SUR. DECODER would also ordinarilly dismiss the STRAIGHT mode and invoke a SUR. DECODER mode. The same goes for the DSP Programs.

Thank you for your reply. I’m little hesitant to do factory reset right away, as receiver is professionally calibrated and I’ll loose all settings.
I read it another thread that swirling of DSP programs might help. But I’m not sure how to do that...

The only scenario I know of that would result in the receiver switching itself into its STRAIGHT mode would be if the receiver were set to its DOLBY SURROUND upmixing mode and if the incoming signal wre inclusive of Atmos metadata. The same would be true of the Neural:X mode when the incoming audio signal contains DTS:X metadata, but in each instance, you'd still be able to dismiss the STRAIGHT mode and select other SUR. DECODER modes or DSP PROGRAMS which would then be applied to the base audio elements of the incoming signals.

You can backup and restore all your current setings and configurations using the receivers ADVANCED SETUP (BKUP/RSTR) feature. See page 136 and 139 of the user manual for further guidance on how to access and use this feature.

I read it another thread that swirling of DSP programs might help. But I’m not sure how to do that...

????

The backup idea is spot on - you can do it by entering the units IP address into a laptop and downloading the file to a PC, or via the front panel 'Advanced Settings' menu.
At the same time - have you updated your AVR recently?
There was a new update for RXV685's within the last week - did you update your amp?

Just to confirm before I reset- backup will save all current calibrations of speakers I have right ?

Just to confirm before I reset- backup will save all current calibrations of speakers I have right ?

Yes, a backup will store a mirror image of your setup exactly as it is at the time of making the backup. This includes all the PEQ measurements obtained during calibration and any manual modifications made to those settings.

So, I did back up on usb drive and did factory reset after that. Restored the system and on turning it on, it still shows STRAIGHT mode. I might have to take to service center. Firmware is updated as well..

So if you press the info button on the front of the AVR, what shows up then?

On pressing Info button on front panel it shows DD Atmos/PCM and it stays same but once you come out of info it It reverts back to STRAIGHT.
new thing I noticed today is, after pressing info and keeping it on DD Atmos/PCM which it showed, I turned if receiver and now when I start it it stays same. but if you press straight one time, you cannot go back or change to other modes.

What is the source, an Apple TV? Have you tried disengaging the STRAIGHT mode in association with a different source?

housebird29 - one question you have not answered... is have you run a firmware update on your receiver at all?
In fact - is it connected to the internet and asking you to run an update?

Please post the firmware version as this will help us ascertain a potential solution.

Yes. Receiver has most recent firmware version 1.80. My wild guess is, it might have started after that update.

I did take a back on usb, reset all settings to factory default and restored it again from usb. Unfortunately, it didn’t solve problem.

coming to my Only input Xbox one, I didn’t make any changes there. What puzzles me is, receiver has this feature if altering/enhancing incoming audio signals. So no matter what is coming from my Xbox, I should be able to change it with all presets on receiver , right ??

What is the source, an Apple TV? Have you tried disengaging the STRAIGHT mode in association with a different source?

how can I do that ? I might as well try that also

how can I do that ? I might as well try that also...

Right - time to roll back to the old firmware as it sounds as if your most recent update has had an issue... either with the update itself (unlikely as I haven't seen anyone else having this issue) or the way in which your particular handled the update.
RXV685 version 1.72
Download the file from this link, save the .bin file to the root directory of a completely blank USB stick then run the USB update from the advanced menu of your RXV685.
Then test to see if the issue persists.
If it has gone away, update again to 1.80 and see if it is still gone / is back.

I’ll give it a try as well. Thanks
My situation is exactly similar to somebody who posted about it in this forum. I’m not sure how he fixed it..

I know it could be a silly answer but pure direct isn't on is it

Pure direct was off. I have exactly same situation as this previous user who posted here.. ‘info’ button corrects it

I took my receiver for servicing and they couldn’t find any fault there. Tech was able to change all modes with their blue ray player connected. I strongly believe it is setting in Xbox that is not letting change modes. Also, ‘info’ button shows dd atmos/PCM, exactly how it was before. But once I press straight then it won’t let me change anything.
this is exactly similar to previous user on this forum..

Right - time to roll back to the old firmware as it sounds as if your most recent update has had an issue... either with the update itself (unlikely as I haven't seen anyone else having this issue) or the way in which your particular handled the update.
RXV685 version 1.72
Download the file from this link, save the .bin file to the root directory of a completely blank USB stick then run the USB update from the advanced menu of your RXV685.
Then test to see if the issue persists.
If it has gone away, update again to 1.80 and see if it is still gone / is back.

I took my receiver for servicing and they couldn’t find any fault there. Tech was able to change all modes with their blue ray player connected. I strongly believe it is setting in Xbox that is not letting change modes. Also, ‘info’ button shows dd atmos/PCM, exactly how it was before. But once I press straight then it won’t let me change anything.
this is exactly similar to previous user on this forum..

What are the audio settings on your source equipment?
Is it an XBox One?
XBox OneS?
XBox OneX?

What is HDMI audio set to?
What is optical audio set to?
What is Bitstream format set to?

Do you have the Dolby Access app installed? Or has it been uninstalled?
Is the Blu-ray app installed?

Hey I think it may very well be an Xbox Setting because on my ARCAM AVR450 I am unable to change Surround modes when the Xbox (One S) is for instance, playing music i.e. if I want Stereo music to play in 5-channel surround, or other Surround modes with the ‘MODE’ button it will not budge... Firestick is fine to move around the Modes

When you did a factory reset did you try it before you applied your backed up settings?

Try selecting a different source, e.g. bluetooth and see if it lets you change modes, perhaps try unplugging your xbox from the amp as well when you try the different source.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom