Yamaha RX-A1070/2070/3070 Owners thread

THe requirements and ability to access DSD files are the same for both the receiver's USB input and via its DLNA networking abilities:

snapshot001.jpg

You cannot however play DSD via Airplay or if using MusicCast.

Again thank you so much. But could you answer my specific questions please?

Again thank you so much. But could you answer my specific questions please?

I cannot answer you in any other way other than how I've answered you. The issue isn't with the receiver. You should be able to access the same files via DLNA that you had access to via the USB input. If they are not shower up then I'd look at the NAS and or DLNAserver for answers?

This may be the reason why:
Readynas support for DSD audio files? - NETGEAR Communities

I've no issue playing .dsf files stored on a QNAP NAS using Serviio as the DLNA uPnP server:

snapshot002.jpg

snapshot001.jpg

I cannot answer you in any other way other than how I've answered you. The issue isn't with the receiver. You should be able to access the same files via DLNA that you had access to via the USB input. If they are not shower up then I'd look at the NAS and or DLNAserver for answers?

This may be the reason why:
Readynas support for DSD audio files? - NETGEAR Communities

Thank you @dante01 , again most helpful. I'm sorry for keep coming back but my primary question did not relate to what the A1070 can and cannot play and certainly I'm not criticising it's capabilities. However when a file doesn't play, for whatever reason, you normally "see it" in the folder in which it resides. I don't use Airplay (totally Android here) and haven't got into Musicast yet as I don't understand that fully and only play my music in one room (Zone 1). When I described my "Server" useage earlier, I use the Yamaha "AV Contoller" App on my tablet. I select "Server" as the input and it sees all my Music folders on my ReadyNas Duo's NAS. (I'll come back to this, please bear with me).

A couple of matters, which I'd appreciate you giving me some more understanding please: -

A. OK so when I look for my "SACD Stuff", these are either 1. contained in a dedicated folder on my ReadyNAS or 2. on a dedicated folder on my USB Memory Stick. When trying to access them, the folders (or their contents) using method 2. are simply not visible. It is this behaviour only that I'm querying as I would have expected the folders to show with their contents but with the files not playing. Please comment.

B. Coming back to my method of accessing my files through the "Server" input, directly to my Nas, you earlier indicated that the A1070 could play Multi-Channel DSD files via HDMI. So is this not what I'm doing? I appreciate that my Nas doesn't support DSD files but isn't it the A1070's DAC that is doing the work here rather than the Nas itself, which is merely acting as a storage facility? I don't understand where or what is the DNLA server, unless in this method of playback, the NAS is acting as a DNLA server?

I just want to understand more - you have been terrific with the support you have given me, since I bought this receiver and hope you don't mind going a further extra mile here for me please.

roz

I'd again suggest it to be an issue with you NAS and server as opposed to it being an issue with your AV receiver. I have no issues seeing the files using a QNAP NAS and Serviio.

A NAS is a network hard drive you access via the AV receiver's networking capabilities and wouldn't be connected to the AV receiver via HDMI. It is online storage and not a media player. THe receiver would be the device playing the files you access over a network using the AV receiver's own inbuilt audio media player. If the server software on the NAS cannot or hasn't the ability to see a particular file format then files formatted using that format will not appear on the AV receiver. There is server sftwre running on your NAS that makes the files stored on the NAS available to other devices that have access to your home network.

If wanting to play multichannel (5.1) DSD files then you'd need to use an external media player connected to the AV receiver via HDMI. THe player would play the files and then stream the multichannel audio to the AV receiver via HDMI. THe device being used to play the DSD files would also obviously need the ability to play the files in question.

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks, got it now :)

Ahh, thanks, got it now :)
Also remember the receiver will only show files it can understand/ play back so it’s no surprise that when you browse the folders either on the usb device or over the network it’s showing nothing. I suspect if you added son 2 channel dsd files into a folder along with the multi channel ones you would see them and be able to play them

Also remember the receiver will only show files it can understand/ play back so it’s no surprise that when you browse the folders either on the usb device or over the network it’s showing nothing. I suspect if you added son 2 channel dsd files into a folder along with the multi channel ones you would see them and be able to play them

It is the server at fault and not the receiver. He has tested the same files via a USB drive and the receiver both sees them and plays them. It is only when attempting to find them on his NAS while using the receiver's DLNA abilities that he has issues. This is simply an indication that the issue is more than likely one associated with the NAS and the DLNA uPnP server software running on that NAS rather than it being an inability of the receiver to recognise and or play the files.

You cannot play any file consisting of more than just 2 channels via either the receiver's USB input or via its networking capabilities irrespective of the file format.

Not if you read his original post he specifically mentions multi channel dsd files which as you kindly pointed out the receiver cannot play either via usb or via a network server. If on my 1070 I browse to a network folder containing files it cannot play it refuses to display any content in the folder. As you say this isn’t a fault the receiver just cannot play multi channel dsd files and from my experience it doesn’t show stuff it can’t play. I would expect that to be the case with usb as well but given that the way the receiver enumerates the content is entirely different to how it does a network share it my well be that it will display files even if it’s not capable of playing them

Not if you read his original post he specifically mentions multi channel dsd files which as you kindly pointed out the receiver cannot play either via usb or via a network server. If on my 1070 I browse to a network folder containing files it cannot play it refuses to display any content in the folder. As you say this isn’t a fault the receiver just cannot play multi channel dsd files and from my experience it doesn’t show stuff it can’t play. I would expect that to be the case with usb as well but given that the way the receiver enumerates the content is entirely different to how it does a network share it my well be that it will display files even if it’s not capable of playing them

He later plays 2 channel DSD files via the receiver using the USB input and then states he cannot see the folder these same files are stored in on his NAS. He played the files via USB so the receiver can therefore play those files using its inbuilt media player.

The only difference is that the content is on a NAS and a DLNA uPNP server is serving the files. I'd therefore suggest the NAS to be at fault because this is the only differentiating factor.

Last edited:
I've noticed a very strange problem with my 3070. I'm getting a loud hiss from the centre channel. I've only noticed it the last couple of days and I've been playing two channel music. It's not all the time. Today I'd played for perhaps 20 minutes and then for no reason centre channel hiss. Unplug the centre speaker and plug it in and it's still there. Turn the amp off and on again and it goes away. This isn't background hiss either it's very audible. Anyone have any ideas? If I switch the amp inputs to any analog channel the hiss doesn't go away, switch it a HDMI input where there is no decoder present at the time and I get no hiss. The input I was using at the time was optical. Both the amp and centre speaker are quite new. I'm thinking though this is an amp problem and not a speaker problem. At the time it occurs the amp is only showing left, right and sub as active.

You could try swapping the cable from the centre to either L/R and connect the L/R cable to the centre to rule out speaker problem?

Martin

Does anyone know how to permanently disable the 'Compressed Music Enhancer' function on a Yamaha A3070? When listening to Internet radio it seems to switch on by default.

You could try swapping the cable from the centre to either L/R and connect the L/R cable to the centre to rule out speaker problem?

Martin
Not a bad idea - I'll give that a try when it happens again - thanks :)

Guys, I have a quick 3070 question please.
Tonight I have played a Dolby Atmos Blu ray disc through the receiver. When I click information its says the input is DD 5.1 and the output 5.1.0.
So, the question, is this correct please as I was expecting the input to be Dolby Atmos?
Thanks in anticipation, Dave

Tonight I have played a Dolby Atmos Blu ray disc through the receiver. When I click information its says the input is DD 5.1 and the output 5.1.0.
So, the question, is this correct please as I was expecting the input to be Dolby Atmos?

Having given this a little more thought, the player I was playing the Atmos disc on was only a Blu ray HD player and not a 4k player. Would that be the reason why?

Can you check the audio track in the disc, some discs don’t load truehd by default, I’ve had a few recently and had to cycle the audio track.

No, you are not receiving Atmos from the source and are only getting Dolby Digital 5.1. Dolby Digital cannot even convey Atmos metadata and most Blu-ray and UHD disc encoded with it will use TRueHD to convey the Atmos metafata to the AV receiver. Ensure that you select the Atmos encoded soundtrack via the disc menu's audio options. Also make sure that the players HDMI aufio output option is set to Bitstream the audio. Note that you'd only be able to convey TRueHD and Atmos via HDMI.

Also note that you'd need at least a 5.1.2 speaker configuration in order for the eceiver to acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata and for your to be able to portray the Atmos soundtrack. It should also be mentioned that the receiver should either be set to its STRAIGHT, PURE DIRECT or DOLBY SURROUND mode in order for you to get Atmos.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys, really appreciated. I understand most of what you have said, but, to answer the questions:

On the panasonic blu ray player, when the disc was starting, I went into audio and selected Atmos. There were no error messages at that point and the movie started.

On the receiver I have it permanently in "surround decoder" setting.

I have not looked at the settings on the dvd player yet.

I then googled which films in netflix are Atmos, then went into netflix on the sky box, selected the film and played it. Then I looked at information again and it was showing DD+ this time.

So, I will check the dvd player settings as suggested, but, if the receiver was receiving Atmos, would the information screen say "Atmos"

Thanks Guys, I am still learning and appreciate your help. Dave

Just running through the sound settings on the BD player. All outputs are set to Bitstream, but, there is a box at the bottom of that screen saying "if you wish to hear the original audio, please set BD-Video Secondary Audio to Off" It was set to ON.

Just running through the sound settings on the BD player. All outputs are set to Bitstream, but, there is a box at the bottom of that screen saying "if you wish to hear the original audio, please set BD-Video Secondary Audio to Off" It was set to ON.
Turn that off and then you will get Atmos most players I’ve come across seem to have this setting to on for some reason

Thanks, will give that a go. I have never managed to get the 3070 to say "Atmos" in the information screen, so, I guess if it sees it, it will say so, or, will the 3070 call it something different please?

Hi in my experience whenever the 1070 sees Atmos from my sources Apple TV Sky Q fire tv 4K or Sony X 800 it will display it on screen or on the display it even differentiates between the different format that conveys the Atmos data I.e. Apple TV shows PCM/Atmos X800 shows Dolby HD / Atmos Fire TV Dolby Digital + /Atmos

A bit of information on 'scenes' please. I'm guessing according to the manual I can set a scene for music listening and a different one for movie watching with different configurations on each. Will changing scene change the settings of the actual speaker configurations? For example I watch movies with a sub but for music I'd just like to use my main front speakers and have a different crossover so I don't need to use the sub. Is that possible?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom