Question Yamaha rx-a3010 doesn't always play sound. Please Help!

kyled9699

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Brand new to the forum so I hope I'm putting this post in the correct place. I recently purchased an rx-a3010 second hand and I am having some issues. When I first got it home I hooked my speakers up and proceeded to try and play some music using my Ipad hooked up via usb. The receiver detected the Ipad and displayed all the info, song, artist etc. but there was no sound coming from the speakers. I played with the settings for about an hour and a half with no luck. I happen to turn the receiver off and back on again and ta-da it was working. Fast forward to the next day and I go to play music again the same way and nothing. I turned off and on multiple times and finally, it started to work again. The next day I faced the same problem but this time no luck with turning it off and one again. even tried unplugging it from my power conditioner and still nothing. I am currently in the process of trying to update the firmware to see if the fixes it, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any ideas of what's going wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

update...

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​
The firmware update has finished and it didn't fix anything. Starting to think it may be a loose connection somewhere because I accidentally bumped it and it played for a second and stopped.

Update 2...
Its almost as if the receiver has to "warm up" in order to work to start playing sound. If I turn it on and let it sit with a source running through it for 10 to 15 minutes and then turn it off and turn it back on again it plays perfectly fine. Then if it sits long enough turned off I have to go through the process all over again.

Last edited:
It could be a setting. Possibly if you turn it on with a live source, it auto switches to that source.

Are you confident that you have all of the settings and connections configured correctly?

If not, you could post photos of all of the settings screens, and on where you have everything plugged in and we can help to check all is well.

What do you have connected to the AVR?

So as far as connections go I have my Ipad plugged into the front of the receiver via usb for music and an lg tv plugged in via hdmi arc. As for speakers I have 2 monitor audio tower speakers, a center channel, and surrounds. Once it starts working everything functions properly. I do have the receiver plugged into a belkin power conditioner.

Is it just with the iPad plugged in to the front USB that the fault is present, or is it present on other inputs as well?

It is present on all inputs. I also have an aux cable I have used that is aux to rca that I have tried on most of the rca audio in inputs. The hdmi arc also doesn't work for audio on the TV when the problem is occurring. Once the problem goes away everything works perfectly fine.

I just set the receiver back to factory settings and I am doing the firmware update again to see if there was a setting somewhere I missed. Is it possible the setting I am missing is in the advanced setup menu?

So I just finished the factory reset and firmware update with no luck. Still having the same issue

Sorry to hear. It sounds like it may be a faulty receiver, can you return to seller?

Before that, is there any change if you plug it into a wall socket rather than your power conditioner?

One more idea, could there be a loose wire that is causing a cut out, such as a speaker wire? Try unplugging all but one speaker, double check that one speaker is wired in correctly, see if the fault is still present.

got exactly the same issue w same a3010 from a used one from craigslist, Kyle did you find any solution for it yet? Thanks

The same thing happens with My Yamaha TSR 6750WA. I have narrowed it down to you when I have HMDI control on “ARC” and or when I have Wi-Fi connectivity issues As I have a separate Wi-Fi dongle that provides my Network connect.

Hello, do you have any news? I have the same problem on my yamaha RX-V1073. When I turn on the amp and it's cold, I have no sound for several minutes. Then the sound comes back, but it cuts by period. When the amp is hot, the sound no longer cuts.

I think it's a issue with the Yamaha receivers. I have a RX-A3010 and having the same issues all the guy are having! It plays when it wants to play.

I have Yamaha RX-A3010 that powered on ok. I thought that would mean everything would work ok. I can't get sound out of it. I plugged in a tv to the HDMI out and I get a picture. I tried using the optical inputs but to no avail. I have all my speakers hooked up correctly. and front panel not showing up Speaker Icon. but then powered on (main Zone) 15-20 minute again off and on when show front panel speaker Icon and sound ok and working fine .
Please advise this problem .
I am waiting ur advise
regards
Idrees

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom