Question Yamaha RX-A3080 5.1.4 ATMOS setup

ATMOS7

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to ATMOS and will be getting my first ATMOS AVR next week. I am getting a Yamaha RX-A3080 9.2 channel receiver with additional rear presence channel that requires external amp. I have been reviewing the user manual and it appears that in order to do a 5.1.4 ATMOS setup, you have to use the rear presence channel with an external amp. Else it looks like you can do 7.1.2 without the external amp and not 5.1.4. The user manual is little confusing and shows the same description for sound for 7.1.2 and 5.1.4. Any help is appreciated.

If its a 9 channel reciever with built in 9 channels of amplification, you will be good to go for either configuration mate. 5.1.4 or 7.1.2.

I am a newbie to ATMOS and will be getting my first ATMOS AVR next week. I am getting a Yamaha RX-A3080 9.2 channel receiver with additional rear presence channel that requires external amp. I have been reviewing the user manual and it appears that in order to do a 5.1.4 ATMOS setup, you have to use the rear presence channel with an external amp. Else it looks like you can do 7.1.2 without the external amp and not 5.1.4. The user manual is little confusing and shows the same description for sound for 7.1.2 and 5.1.4. Any help is appreciated.
yea 9 channel amp will do 5 1 4 out of the box,owners thread here Yamaha RX-A3080 Owners Thread

Those who've not actually got this receiver or haven't actually configured one within a 5.1.4 setup should avoid ensuring others that it is actually possible to have a 5.1.4 setup withput using an external 2 channel amp. THe manual suggests that you can have a 9 channel 7.1.2 setup without an external amp, but does suggest that such an amp is needed to power rear presence speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.

Whether the manual is incorrect or whether Yamaha have made a mistake with their literature is the issue at hand? If not then the A3080 will not fascilitate a 5.1.4 setup without using an external 2 channel amp to power the associated rear presence speakers?

Also note that if Yamaha's own literature is to be believed then the same is also true of the 9 channel RXA2080.

I've just checked my 3080 and 5.1.4 can only be set up using an external amp for the rear presence speakers. 7.1.4 can use either the front L/R or rear presence with an external amp.

Have the RX-A3070 that does 5.1.4 without an external amp,would be surprised if the 3080 doesnt as well.
You would only need an external amp if you wanted 7.1.4.

Martin

I’m running 5.1.4 here with no external amplification on a 3080

367D357F-3C1E-4D62-A305-E7F4831D2A1F.jpeg
AA067A46-8A14-43F7-AB62-7D2968D8907A.jpeg
:

Have the RX-A3070 that does 5.1.4 without an external amp,would be surprised if the 3080 doesnt as well.
You would only need an external amp if you wanted 7.1.4.

Martin

In alignmnt with what you are saying, the manual for the A3050 also clearly depicts a 5.1.4 setup without need or use of external amplification:

snapshot003.jpg

But thinings are not the same when it comes to the manual for the A3080. There are several instances of 5.2.4 being mentioned, but each entry implies that an additional external amp is requierd to poser the rear presence speakers with.

This could of cause be a mistake on the part of Yamaha, but the A3080's manual gives n guidance on configuring the receiver for 5.2.4 without using an external 2 channel amp. I'd suggest someone contact Yamaha to ask direcly, unless there's an A3080 owner out there actually running a 5.1.4 setup without need of any additional amplification who can confirm that this is possible?

Last edited:
I finally got my 3080 set up in 5.1.4 configuration. Got Apple TV 4K and enabled Netflix on it. Tried some Atmos movies on Netflix, WOW what a difference. It is like sitting in cinema theater. However, the 3080 does not display the Dolby ATMOS icon anywhere. Does the 3080 display ATMOS symbol when playing ATMOS sound? I want to make sure I am getting true ATMOS and not just 7.1.

Also I was not able to play the Dolby ATMOS trailers. I downloaded the trailers (.mp4) on a USB stick and plugged it into the 3080. The USB was recognized and both the trailers showed up on the TV screen. Selecting either one opened the file as if starting to play but nothing happened. The time remained at 0. I tried playing .wav music from the same USP and it played fine.

Also for some reason I an unable to start a new thread in this 3080 subforum. I can only start a new thread in the top AV forum.

None of the Yamaha models have an Atmos symbol. It would just say Atmos on the display. I'd suggest the same is true of other manufacturer's and they are the same. There's only the double D Dolby logo and not a specific Atmos logo.

You cannot play the trailers because the AV receiver cannot play video files. The USB input would also be limited to stereo audio source and you cannot play multichannel audio via the USB input or the AV receiver's networking abilities. You'd need an external media player to play video files. Again, this is true of all receivers and not something that is specific to Yamaha models.

You cannot start a thread within a thread. The thread is located in a forum dedicated to AV receivers and amplifiers.

Last edited:
Ive got a 3070 and 5.1.4 works fine with the internal amplification so I would imagine a 3080 would.

None of the Yamaha models have an Atmos symbol. It would just say Atmos on the display. I'd suggest the same is true of other manufacturer's and they are the same. There's only the double D Dolby logo and not a specific Atmos logo.

You cannot play the trailers because the AV receiver cannot play video files. The USB input would also be limited to stereo audio source and you cannot play multichannel audio via the USB input or the AV receiver's networking abilities. You'd need an external media player to play video files. Again, this is true of all receivers and not something that is specific to Yamaha models.

You cannot start a thread within a thread. The thread is located in a forum dedicated to AV receivers and amplifiers.

I am not getting indication from the receiver that it is playing in Atmos. It says CinemaDSPHD3 on the dispaly. No double DD, or the word Atmos in the display.

If you cannot play the Dolby trailers from the USB on the AV receiver, is there any other way to test it on the receiver?

Thanks for your help

To begin with, press the STRAIGHT mode button and put the receiver into STRAIGH mode. THis will ensure that other processing isn't preventing the receiver from using any Atmos metadata the receiver is receiving.

SEcondly, press the INFO button until the receiver's display indicates the audio format the receiver is receiving. This button alters the kind of information the display shows.

What kmake and model of TV do you have? If an LG model such as one of last years models then there's actually a Dolby app on them and you'd be able to stream Atmos via ARC to the AV receiver. Other apps such as Netflix will also include access to Atmos audio. Other than this, you'd need an external source connected to the AV receiver via HDMI.

I have an older model LG that does not have atmos. It has ARC but not eARC. So I am using Apple TV 4K, which is connected to HDMI AV1 on the 3080 and HDMI ARC out of 3080 to the LG HDMI ARC. On the Apple TV the ATMOS is enabled. I did not try the INFO button. However, on the 3080 display I do see the 9.1 speaker configuration on the right corner.

eARC isn't required if wanting to convey Atmos as associated with most streaming services. THese services use DD+ to package the Atmos metadata with and this can be conveyed via conventional ARC. What model LG YV do you have?

Use the INFO button to change what is being displayed or go into the INFORMATION section of the receiver's settings where you'll see an AUDIO section. THis will indicate both the audio coming into the receiver as well as what is then being output.

Dante, thanks for the great info. I was not aware of the INFO button. Yes I am getting ATMOS/PCM. However, when I press STRAIGHT, it says not available.
Going back to the USB not playing videos, how does one play the Dolby ATMOS trailers on 3080?

You'd need an external media player. Such a player will both need the ability to play the file as well as being able to bitstream the associated audio. You'd want a player that can bitstream both DD+ and TrueHD given that these are the 2 formats used by Dolby to package Atmos metadata in. The media player would be connected to one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs.

Something like the Nvidia Shield would suffice, but you'd need to install the appropriate media player and condigure it with the appropriate configurations in order to play files and then bitstream Atmos to the AV receiver.

I personally use an Mede8er media player, but this is limited to HD 1080p. It will however bitstream Atmos despite its age. I use this media player to access and play files I store on a NAS. A NAS is a hard drive you access over a network.

Thanks for the information. You must be a pro. You have so much knowledge

Those who've not actually got this receiver or haven't actually configured one within a 5.1.4 setup should avoid ensuring others that it is actually possible to have a 5.1.4 setup withput using an external 2 channel amp. THe manual suggests that you can have a 9 channel 7.1.2 setup without an external amp, but does suggest that such an amp is needed to power rear presence speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.

Whether the manual is incorrect or whether Yamaha have made a mistake with their literature is the issue at hand? If not then the A3080 will not fascilitate a 5.1.4 setup without using an external 2 channel amp to power the associated rear presence speakers?

Also note that if Yamaha's own literature is to be believed then the same is also true of the 9 channel RXA2080.
My setup is 5*2*4 biAmp.
I'm using ext ATI 1807 to drive FL/FR, C,RL/RR, fronyPL/R.
Internal amps for rearP2L/R, biAmp frontL/R with frontP1s.

I have a 5.2.4 setup without any external amps. I am using the Front Presence and Rear Presence for the 4 Atmos speakers installed in the ceiling above. Use the Basic setup and manually assign the speakers. It is working great :)

Yes, 3080 can set to 5.2.4 without external power amp. If you connect surroud back speakers too, the unit switches automatically to use SBs or Rear Presences depend on source you play. If you select "AI" the unit force to use Front Presences and Rear Presences even your playing source is not atmos.

In my 5.2.4 I don't have SBs. But I have noticed when turning on AI the level of Surround and I think both presence goes down. It is not as immersive as when AI is off. I have not figured out what AI does.

In my 5.4.2 setup, I set all my speakers to "SMALL" and 80Hz. But after I run YPAO, all my speakers except the Center are set to LARGE and 40Hz. I tried setting my four presence to SMALL 60Hz and also tried LARGE 60Hz, it did not work. YPAO resets them to LARGE 40 Hz. Is there any way I can use the YPAO settings and change the presence to SMALL 60 Hz and save the results?

In my 5.4.2 setup, I set all my speakers to "SMALL" and 80Hz. But after I run YPAO, all my speakers except the Center are set to LARGE and 40Hz. I tried setting my four presence to SMALL 60Hz and also tried LARGE 60Hz, it did not work. YPAO resets them to LARGE 40 Hz. Is there any way I can use the YPAO settings and change the presence to SMALL 60 Hz and save the results?
You need to run YPAO first then go to manual setup and change speakers to small and set crossovers for speakers.
I would set the atmos/presence speakers to 150hz.

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom