Yamaha RX-A3080 Owners Thread

The behaviour is what you'd expect from any device relative to Airplay and isn't a fault with the receiver. The issue arises due to your own limited knowledge regarding the use of Airplay and how Airplay works.

Airplay uses conventional networking and wifi. You can turn off your AV receiver's access to the internet and your home network. Bluetooth doesn't use your home network to convey data and is independent of your home network. Bluetooth is point to point while Airplay isn't.

Airplay isn't an alternative to Bluetooth and is dependant on your home network.

But you can turn off streaming services like Tidal and Amazon Music which are provided over the network. You can defeat Internet music as well. You can defeat MusicCast too.

The only network functionality that one doesn't seem to be able to defeat is airplay, other than by disabling the entire network functionality on the device?

Am I the only one here who thinks that is fundamentally flawed?

Airplay isn't a streaming service. Airplay is basically a set of protocols that can use your home network (or WiFi Direct since iOS 8) to fascilitate Airplay enabled devices (senders) to send data to Airplay enabled receivers. It is just a proprietary (Apple) networking protocol.

No, Apple and Yamaha are not in cohoots. The same behaviour is apparent irrespective of whoever implements Airplay in their devices. Yes, it is licensed from Apple and Apple do restrict how it is implemented and used on any and every device. Yamaha haver no say in the matter.

Defeated? You are the one sending data to the AV receiver via Airplay. The receiver is simply doing what would be expected. The only person at fault is you. Stop sending the audio to the receiver via the sender (your iMac)!

Your AV receiver doesn't go out looking for Airplay streams and the service is basically push based. The only way to engage it on the receiver would be for you to push the signal from a sender to a specific device you've chosen on the sender device.

Last edited:
Yep, I know but thanks for explaining.

Just to be clear, I am watching a TV program via a satellite-delivered signal from a Set Top Box on a specific Yamaha input which has nothing to do with anything "network" and all of a sudden a network protocol completely override this viewing and takes precedence. And no-one seems to think that I should be able to choose to allow this behaviour or disallow it.

That is just plainly nonsensical. That's like driving along an interstate in my car going in one direction and suddenly an exit becomes available that goes in a completely unwanted direction, so the car decides to take the offramp all by itself. Irrespective of what I might want.

I'm new to this 3080. My previous (Pioneer) receiver would never have forced this on the user. In "upgrading" to a Yamaha, I chose badly.

No, the receiver switvches from the source associated with your STB to that assocuated with Airplay. THe switch is instigated by the sender device which you set the AV receiver as being the receiver device via either the devices Airplay setting or via an in application Airplay setting.

It is your setting on the sender device that instigates this and it is within your control to stiop it by changing the associated Airplay setting on the sender device.

All Airplay receiver devices react in exactlt the same way as your current Z3080. THis isn't specific to your AV receiver and has always been the case with all Aurplay enabled AV receivers or devices enabled to act as Airplay receiving devices. It is neither anything new or anything specific to Yamaha or your receiver. It is normal and how Airplay is designed to function.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I didn't set the Yamaha to be a receiving device. It seems I have no choice. I actually want to do the exact opposite - to set the receiver to not be an Airplay receiver device. But without having to turn off all the network connectivity.

Is that too much to ask?

Whether I want this to happen or not...

AGAIN!

You have unter and total control over it. It is simply your refusal to use Airplay as it was designed to be used that is causing the issue.

DESELECT YOUR RECEIVER WITHIN THE APPLICATION'S AIRPLAY SETTING ON YOUR iMAC!

You are suggesting all my kids to adopt a certain behaviour when all that should be required is to turn airplay OFF in the yamaha (without having to disable the entire network capability to do it).

Did you design this thing?

I;d suggest you go reread what I've previously posted. I'd also suggest you go post in the forum related to Apple products and or Airplay. The issue has sod all to do with the AV receiver and is as a result of your own actions.

Ok simple Question dante01...

How do I turn Airplay capability off on this receiver without having to disable all the network connectivity.

Is this possible or not?

Please refrain from repeatedly asking the same questions over and over again. I've already addressed your question in a previous post.

NO, you cannot deny the AVR access to Airplay. You have to deselect the AV receiver as being a receiver of Airplay on the device pushing the service onto the AV receiver!

Last edited:
The inability to turn airplay off on this receiver and having to do it instead on all the "senders" instead has everything to do with the receiver, IMHO.

So just to be clear, the yamaha can't do this... Ok, I get it. It's an obvious flaw that I and my family will have to accommodate. I and my partner will become accustomed to txting the kids on the lower floor to stop casting to the yamaha and interrupting our television viewing. They'll love that. My wife will too.

You are incorrect then because no device includes any ability to turn Airplay off irrespective of who made it. This has never been a feature of Airplay on any device and Apple have never made it an option for third party implementers to facilitate. Your previous Airplay enabled device or devices never had such an option and functioned exactly as your cirrent AV receiver functions relative to Airplay.

No, you are wrong there, sorry.

I have a brand new Sony TV (bought the same day as the yamaha) that has inbuilt Airplay capability that I have turned off in the TV menus. Easy as pie.

The Sony TV still shows in the airplay list on the sending device (e.g. MacBook Pro) but if you attempt to cast to it, nothing happens on the TV.

It seems like Sony know what they are doing. Perhaps Yamaha should make a Sony engineer an offer they can't refuse.

Come to think of it, when I defeated AirPlay on the Sony TV, it may have disappeared completely from the list of available AirPlay receivers which is equally as effective. And yet all the TV's other network functionality like netflix, mobile app TV control, media server discovery, streaming etc. etc. all work perfectly, as before.

Only Airplay is defeated. So it IS possible to defeat Airplay without having to adjust all the senders. Just not on the receiver.

Again, you are the one who has selected the AV receiver as the device the iMac should be sending audio to via Airplay. Simply deselect the AV receiver from the application Airplay setting and that is all that needs to be done. You'd then simply need to select it again from that same menu the next time you intentional want to send audio to the AV receiver via Airplay.

What is so damned difficult about this?

I give up. Suit yourself as to what you do.

Dante, it may not be me doing it! Any of my kids could be doing this, accidentally or purposefully (likely the former) from one their devices. And every time they do it accidentally, from downstairs, the movie I and my wife is watching barfs and I have to find the remote, reselect the input, rewind to see what was missed.

I'm not being difficult, I'm being practical. I know you can't change this behaviour of the receiver but I am not sure why you are so vigorously defending it when it simply isn't necessary.

Surely you can at least accept that a simple "turn airplay off" option in the yamaha's menus (like in the sonytv) is all that is required. Problem solved!

You've attempted to blame anyone and everyone apart from who is actually causing the problem. You yourself and or your children are at fault, not Yamaha or Apple. Your AV receiver and Airplay are functioning exactly as intended. Why on earth should Apple rethink Airplay to excuse you inability to use Airplay as it was designed to be used or to fascilitate your children doing as they please? If your kids were caufgt shoplifting, rould it be the fault of the person who caught them and would you be insu=isting that the person in question not catch them again?

Adding the ability to turn off Airplay on the AV receiver only serves to excuse you and yopur children. It would also then result in you no longer being able to utilise Airplay when intensionally wanting to do so. I'm assuming that you do sometimes actually want this ability given the fact that you had Music on your iMac set to output audio to the AV receiver via Airplay. Turn Airplay off on the AVR anf you'd lose the ability to use Airplay to send audio to the AV receiver via Airplay.

I've iOS devices and severaliMaxs and cannot say I've ever accidently involed Airplay and or select any of my AV receivers as a destination by accident. If your kids are at fault then I'd suggest that they are purposefully doing it. Maybe ak Apple if they can develop a electric shock featyre into their device that will be invoked everytime your kids attempt to mess with Airplay?

No objection to adding an off feature to Yamaha's implimentation of Airplay, but also no objection to preventing your kids from causing the issue to begin with either. The absence of one doesn't excuse the other.

Dante, I appreciate your attack on my kids and their motivation. Seriously, thanks for that.

The way I discovered this "feature" was that last weekend one of my daughters, via her MacBookPro, interrupted our viewing upstairs and she wasn't even aware she was doing it. She was happily listening to music via itunes and ALSO airplaying to the A3080. Itunes lets you listen locally and airplay to something at the same time. And even when I reselected the movie input, whenever she paused and restarted her music, the A3080 switched again.

I had to find which of my 4 kids was doing this and you are way out of line suggesting this was done on purpose by my daughter. Again, thanks!

To answer your Q about how would I airplay to the AVR if I could and did turn airplay off, it is easy! Just turn the "feature" back on again when I want to do it!

Please don't attack my children again. Stick to the issue at hand - the fact that you can't have the receiver stop airplay from interrupting other viewing, even if you want to.

And without attacking you or your offspring, that inability is extraordinarily stupid. And other manufacturers seem to have realised that and taken measures to rectify it. For such a prestigious device like the A3080, the omission to allow control over it is surprising and is unquestionably a deficiency in capability.

Please calm down and stop your attacks on my children.

I could desist from blaming your children, but this would then mean I'd have to imply that you are stupid.

Either you and or your children are the ones setting their devices to stream audio to the AV receiver via Airplay and the solution has already repetedly been given. Simply deselect the AV receiver as being the device Airplay would be sending the audio to via Airplay. No iPhone, iPad or Apple computer automatically selects devices at random and only those using the devices are able to select which device audio is sent to via Airplay.

You and or your children are setting their iOS or OS X devices to stream audio to the AV receiver via Airplay. The devices themselves are not automatically setting themselves to do this and have no ability to automatically do so.

I'd normally suggest there to be no such thing as stupidity, just the handicap of lacking the knowledge needed to understand something, but you've now been repeatedly informed of the knowledge required. What conclusion should I therefore now arrive at?

Last edited:
Dante have it your way. There should be no option to defeat Airplay on the AVR. People never make mistakes. Selecting the option to listen to music via your laptop in itunes when the AVR is already selected (and thus playing on both) should never, ever happen. And when it happens, I will be sure to let my daughters know that you think they and/or I are stupid.

I will also be sure to heed your advice should they have turn to shoplifting.

There are may conclusions you should arrive at, Dante, about yourself, your invective language and your behaviour. Aren't you supposed to be a Distinguished Member?

@RobinWNZ Can you stick to posting your questions to this thread only please. Little point in asking exactly the same in two different threads. This is the owners' thread and the correct place. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom