Yamaha RX-A3080 Owners Thread

The 3080s only weakness is it’s bass eq which I’ve solved with a Dspeaker Antimode box and mic.
I've just put a Dspeaker antimode on my sub. Definitely less boomy and tighter. Well worth the money.

Good afternoon all,

I hope you are all well. My A3080 arrives tomorrow, can not wait. I previously had the A3070 which is hands down the best receiver I have ever owned. I had sold it and was without an AVR for some months. I then tried the Arcam AVR550 and gave it all I had but am just not happy with the sound overall, even if it is a truer and more accurate sound. It never made me smile, excite me, immerse me or fill me with emotion like the A3070 did. Unfortunately, I had to opt for spending more for the A3080 this time.

I am worried that Yamaha might have tweaked the sound from the A3070, like I read they did with the A3060 to A3070. The A3070 sounded perfect to me. I think the DACs were upgraded from the A3060 but they remain the same - just higher bit rate but not useful for listening purposes - in the A3070 and A3080. Does anyone know if the A3080 house sound is exactly the same as the A3070? And does anyone's units have any fizz/ electrical fizz/ noise from the unit when in standby? My A3070 had this and it was quite annoying.

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

Glad to read of peoples success integrating the Anti-Mode with their A3080s. I will be very happy for the time being with my A3080 as it is, having owned the A3070 before. But am interested in integrating an Anti-Mode to improve my bass and using REW if possible in the near future.

Can someone please explain how the DSpeaker Anti-Mode works and how I would connect it in my chain? I have my UMIK-1 left over from my AVR550, which I assume I can use with the Anti-Mode to get excellent results. Is it relatively easy to use? I gained some experience and knowledge having learnt Dirac to a fair extent and I used REW once to do a manual calibration with my AVR550. And on that note, I read that REW can be used to improve upon YPAO. Has anyone done this? If so, how do you do it?

I explained why I did not like the Arcam above, @Topmetom 2. But if you want more detail I will say this: The Arcam strikes me as an 'audiophile' piece of equipment geared towards accuracy, and the Yamaha, as Dante noted the other day on the A3070 owner's thread, an enthusiasts.

The results I gained with Dirac were evidently a very accurate soundfield. But in summary, with the AVR550 I never felt like I was in the cinema, like I do feel with the A3070. The soundstage is greater, expansive with the A3070. I think the DACs and overall sound quality is better with the A3070 and produces a more natural, cleaner sound. I have still to this day not had scenes immerse me in the way the A3070 does - and this is another important factor, immersion, the 550 failed to do this for me in the way the A3070 does. Take for example the reproduction of water sounds in Interstellar (did not test with 550, mind) or the final showdown and fight in Blade Runner 2049. They Yamaha's processing of the highs and water sounds are so life-like and natural. I really felt like I was in the middle of the violence in this 2049 scene, as the waves crash and splurge in all manners, panning across all the channels in my 7.1. I find this scene is more tame with the 550, as is the sound in general, and the sound just sounds a little compressed, dampened and processed. Again, I just think the A3070 reproduces audio better.

One must also draw lines between what one perceives as subjectively better to what is in fact scientifically better to ensure one sees the benefits and truth of the matter. And also be careful to not necessarily equate for example, tame or dampened with poorer - and of course, it is all subjective. But I say this, because when you do look at it objectively again, you really do see the benefits of Dirac, too and you will come to accept what it has done to your sound for the better sake of accuracy, perhaps - even if it is not my preference. But this took a fair bit of critical listening with my hands tied behind my back. Such is the habit and affect of conditioning. For example, the Dirac sound is certainly more held back but also flatter or dampened, which we can equate to Dirac having done a better job in my room, equalising out problem room frequencies. I did find I was able to listen louder with perhaps less ear fatigue than my A3070 and it did feel like my room had been physically treated when listening with Dirac. This result would be true if one's room were treated. That is very impressive. But do I prefer it? No.

And being subjective again, I say no, probably because I just do not like the Arcam/ Dirac house sound. I also far prefer the steering of sound the A3070 achieves in my system - I never ever had one moment of putting on a film or testing a scene where I was not appreciative, made to feel something or awed by the sound. The 550 feels like the sound exists with you and you are not in the 'bubble' so to speak, which some may prefer the effect of. The A3070 puts me in the 'bubble', even without with Atmos (I did not get to test Atmos with the 550), and I love this effect and feeling. I break down in depth some of my favourite test scenes and points of reference for multi channel audio in film, in the same Arcam and Dirac Live thread.

It was a good experience in all, and I learned a lot and gained experience with Arcam, Dirac and REW but it was more a stress than joy, and AV is about the enjoyment of sound. I was tweaking non stop - I gave it my all, at least. And I did make improvements to the sound, but soon after that hit a halt and it just dawned on me that the Arcam is not my cup of tea.

In this, I have found what we all tend to at some point, that one person's pleasure is another person's pain. And that is fine. I love that the sound in home cinema I love, exists in the Yamaha A3070/ A3080. I still remember the first sound I heard from my A3070, my XB1S start up logo screen, it filled the room with an energy and clarity that gave me goosebumps. I knew from then it would be my receiver of choice. I would not know what I would use otherwise - I am intrigued by Anthem but this experience has taught me that you just never know, as above. More than happy with Yamaha at the moment.

@Topmetom 2, what receiver do you use?

PS. I forgot to mention stereo music but in summary, it is a similar thing, the A3070 just fills my room better. I feel like I am producing music again with the 550 - it harks back to my time listening critically with studio monitors - which I appreciate, but I do not want that feeling when I am trying to enjoy a song or album. In this, I also do find the Arcam sounds like it is doing justice to the accuracy of my XTZ M6, which were produced towards being as flat response - if that even is a possibility - or at least accurate as possible. And at the same time I feel like the Arcam is serving just some of the dish. The A3070 serves it in a full plate. Yum yum.

Last edited:
Glad to read of peoples success integrating the Anti-Mode with their A3080s. I will be very happy for the time being with my A3080 as it is, having owned the A3070 before. But am interested in integrating an Anti-Mode to improve my bass and using REW if possible in the near future.

Can someone please explain how the DSpeaker Anti-Mode works and how I would connect it in my chain? I have my UMIK-1 left over from my AVR550, which I assume I can use with the Anti-Mode to get excellent results. Is it relatively easy to use? I gained some experience and knowledge having learnt Dirac to a fair extent and I used REW once to do a manual calibration with my AVR550. And on that note, I read that REW can be used to improve upon YPAO. Has anyone done this? If so, how do you do it?
Just Google DSpeaker Antimode and you will find the documentation.

I’m very surprised that you didn’t like the Arcam!

I explained why I did not like the Arcam above, @Topmetom 2. But if you want more detail I will say this: The Arcam strikes me as an 'audiophile' piece of equipment geared towards accuracy, and the Yamaha, as Dante noted the other day on the A3070 owner's thread, an enthusiasts.

The results I gained with Dirac were evidently a very accurate soundfield. But in summary, with the AVR550 I never felt like I was in the cinema, like I do feel with the A3070. The soundstage is greater, expansive with the A3070. I think the DACs and overall sound quality is better with the A3070 and produces a more natural, cleaner sound. I have still to this day not had scenes immerse me in the way the A3070 does - and this is another important factor, immersion, the 550 failed to do this for me in the way the A3070 does. Take for example the reproduction of water sounds in Interstellar (did not test with 550, mind) or the final showdown and fight in Blade Runner 2049. They Yamaha's processing of the highs and water sounds are so life-like and natural. I really felt like I was in the middle of the violence in this 2049 scene, as the waves crash and splurge in all manners, panning across all the channels in my 7.1. I find this scene is more tame with the 550, as is the sound in general, and the sound just sounds a little compressed, dampened and processed. Again, I just think the A3070 reproduces audio better.

One must also draw lines between what one perceives as subjectively better to what is in fact scientifically better to ensure one sees the benefits and truth of the matter. And also be careful to not necessarily equate for example, tame or dampened with poorer - and of course, it is all subjective. But I say this, because when you do look at it objectively again, you really do see the benefits of Dirac, too and you will come to accept what it has done to your sound for the better sake of accuracy, perhaps - even if it is not my preference. But this took a fair bit of critical listening with my hands tied behind my back. Such is the habit and affect of conditioning. For example, the Dirac sound is certainly more held back but also flatter or dampened, which we can equate to Dirac having done a better job in my room, equalising out problem room frequencies. I did find I was able to listen louder with perhaps less ear fatigue than my A3070 and it did feel like my room had been physically treated when listening with Dirac. This result would be true if one's room were treated. That is very impressive. But do I prefer it? No.

And being subjective again, I say no, probably because I just do not like the Arcam/ Dirac house sound. I also far prefer the steering of sound the A3070 achieves in my system - I never ever had one moment of putting on a film or testing a scene where I was not appreciative, made to feel something or awed by the sound. The 550 feels like the sound exists with you and you are not in the 'bubble' so to speak, which some may prefer the effect of. The A3070 puts me in the 'bubble', even without with Atmos (I did not get to test Atmos with the 550), and I love this effect and feeling. I break down in depth some of my favourite test scenes and points of reference for multi channel audio in film, in the same Arcam and Dirac Live thread.

It was a good experience in all, and I learned a lot and gained experience with Arcam, Dirac and REW but it was more a stress than joy, and AV is about the enjoyment of sound. I was tweaking non stop - I gave it my all, at least. And I did make improvements to the sound, but soon after that hit a halt and it just dawned on me that the Arcam is not my cup of tea.

In this, I have found what we all tend to at some point, that one person's pleasure is another person's pain. And that is fine. I love that the sound in home cinema I love, exists in the Yamaha A3070/ A3080. I still remember the first sound I heard from my A3070, my XB1S start up logo screen, it filled the room with an energy and clarity that gave me goosebumps. I knew from then it would be my receiver of choice. I would not know what I would use otherwise - I am intrigued by Anthem but this experience has taught me that you just never know, as above. More than happy with Yamaha at the moment.

@Topmetom 2, what receiver do you use?

PS. I forgot to mention stereo music but in summary, it is a similar thing, the A3070 just fills my room better. I feel like I am producing music again with the 550 - it harks back to my time listening critically with studio monitors - which I appreciate, but I do not want that feeling when I am trying to enjoy a song or album. In this, I also do find the Arcam sounds like it is doing justice to the accuracy of my XTZ M6, which were produced towards being as flat response - if that even is a possibility - or at least accurate as possible. And at the same time I feel like the Arcam is serving just some of the dish. The A3070 serves it in a full plate. Yum yum.
Did you not fancy the yamaha processor? We spoke before and i said go for the new yamaha as you liked the sound? I have a nad, but i went on the facebook page for Dali speakers asked about amps etc...got put in touch with Andy Moore, id never heard of him, but he is well respected everywhere with regards to dirac. So a couple of hundred quid or 3k? Andy is coming to mine to play with dirac

Edit, this is my very last throw of the dice with Dirac, if Andy cant fix it , to my ears, ill move on. Hence why i took my nad off of sale.

Last edited:
Just Google DSpeaker Antimode and you will find the documentation.

I’m very surprised that you didn’t like the Arcam!

Cheers. I understand but really no need for alarm, it is all subjective isn't it? What works for one does not for another. That is AV. I went in blind thinking it was the be all and end all - before something like a Trinnov or similar - as most have 'upgraded' from Yamaha, Denon or Marantz to Arcam. But for me it was a side step or downgrade even for me.

My A3080 arrives tomorrow so that will conclude things and I will know for sure (memory is not always the best judgement) if I still prefer Yamaha. Pretty sure I have a sound general recollection at minimum of what about and why I prerefer Yamaha, though.

Cheers. I understand but really no need for alarm, it is all subjective isn't it? What works for one does not for another. That is AV. I went in blind thinking it was the be all and end all - before something like a Trinnov or similar - as most have 'upgraded' from Yamaha, Denon or Marantz to Arcam. But for me it was a side step or downgrade even for me.

My A3080 arrives tomorrow so that will conclude things and I will know for sure (memory is not always the best judgement) if I still prefer Yamaha. Pretty sure I have a sound general recollection at minimum of what about and why I prerefer Yamaha, though.
Well, perhaps you’re more of a DSP guy then. But I don’t want to see you here in a year dissing the Trinnov :) !

Well, perhaps you’re more of a DSP guy then.

Are those the post processing modes on the Yamaha? I dislike using them and the notion of them. I prefer to hear things as intended. And I heard many inaccuracies and negatives when I tested the upmixers. Again, I think the Yamaha reproduces audio better.

I think I will be absolutely fine with my A3080 :smashin:.

Last edited:
Are those the post processing modes on the Yamaha? I dislike using them and the notion of them. I prefer to hear things as intended. And I heard many inaccuracies and negatives when I tested the upmixers.

I think I will be absolutely fine with my A3080 :smashin:.
Yes, but as long as you’re happy mate :) !

Did you not fancy the yamaha processor?

Sorry, I do not understand, what processor?

We spoke before and i said go for the new yamaha as you liked the sound?

Sorry, I forget. And which new Yamaha? My A3080 arrives tomorrow. I would have loved to have tried the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 but beyond my current budget.

So, you have a NAD - 777 or 758? And you have not had success with Dirac? I think I achieved excellent results from Dirac with what I learned, courtesy of the amazing AVF community and Arcam and Dirac thread. It is just that it would appear that I do not like Dirac! Again, tomorrow will conclude things for certain and affirm whether I do in fact prefer Yamaha. As, never say never. Though, I am quite positive once I hear the Yamaha again, it will be staying plugged in.

I tried a NAD T758 prior to my AVR550 but it and the store unit (upon testing after the fact) both suffered the exact same, constant high pitched whine. It caused me great distress and pain to my ears. I have very good hearing and sensitive ears plus the mildest occasional tinnitus so these sounds are very dangerous and can trigger tinnitus. I did not get a chance to play with the NAD or it's implementation of Dirac, though I read it is supposed to be a better implementation of it than with Arcam. I read that most folks switched to NADs from their Arcams and they say their NAD sounds the same as an Arcam or better with Dirac on. The 777 may not have the whine and I think uses a torordial transformer as opposed to the other type in the 758. But based on owner's impressions I would not like the sound of the NAD either. So, feel like I have a good peace of mind where I am at at this stage and it feels great to almost settled again and not stressing and unhappy with my sound.

Last edited:

The anti mode is absolutely easy to use. Just plug the cables in, attach the included mic and run the sweeps. Takes about 20 minutes. Only downside is there is no connection to your pc to see the results. However the improvement over what YPAO does will be very obvious to your ears.

The anti mode is absolutely easy to use. Just plug the cables in, attach the included mic and run the sweeps. Takes about 20 minutes. Only downside is there is no connection to your pc to see the results. However the improvement over what YPAO does will be very obvious to your ears.

Where does the anti mode plug into? And would I leave it plugged in all the time? I assume so.

Do you have any experience using REW and a UMIK-1 with a Yamaha? I read that this can be done to also improve upon YPAO.

Where does the anti mode plug into? And would I leave it plugged in all the time? I assume so.

Do you have any experience using REW and a UMIK-1 with a Yamaha? I read that this can be done to also improve upon YPAO.
You run a sub cable from the sub port on your AVR into the unit. Then another cable from the unit into your sub, so it essentially sits in between. You can use two subs if you have a Y splitter. The unit has to be plugged into the mains and yes it has to be present and on to work. You can switch it off and the EQ remains in the ROM. I have no experience with Rew.

Following on from what mtenga said, you also have different settings on the antimode if you wish to use them . Have you not got the manual

Following on from what mtenga said, you also have different settings on the antimode if you wish to use them . Have you not got the manual

Good morning stew, hope you are well, not purchased the Antimode yet. Will most likely do so in the near future.

Good morning stew, hope you are well, not purchased the Antimode yet. Will most likely do so in the near future.
Right, well all details are in the box. You will be like how it controls your sub performance. I got mine from BK electrics.

Cheers, is the 2.0 version the newest and best?

Are we talking antimode, if so go on BK electrics website it gives you all models. If not sure give Tom a ring on Tuesday.

Thank you, yes, Antimode. I think I dealt with Tom when I had purchased a BK from them.

I bought my latest one from Allan at Ideal AV, he was middleman and BK Elec sent it out.

The 2.0 version is the latest. There are two versions of the 8033 but the base version, which is significantly cheaper, has always suited me in the past.

Great, I was seeing prices of around £700 for the 2.0 thinking that was the newest and best version. Did not realise that is the stereo version.

I see there is also the Antimode 8033 Cinema, I assume this is the new model.

I was selling my UMIK-1 to recoup some funds for the time being but knowing the price is only around £225, I might just keep it for when I get the Antimode, since they are like hens teeth in the UK and you usually have to import them if you want them brand new.

Great, I was seeing prices of around £700 for the 2.0 thinking that was the newest and best version. Did not realise that is the stereo version.

I see there is also the Antimode 8033 Cinema, I assume this is the new model.

I was selling my UMIK-1 to recoup some funds for the time being but knowing the price is only around £225, I might just keep it for when I get the Antimode, since they are like hens teeth in the UK and you usually have to import them if you want them brand new.
Yes you want the 8033, theres one on ebay. Id keep the umik for now as well

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom