Yamaha RX-V2067 - No Sound After Power On, Unless Power Cycled

EvertonMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After years of use without any problems, over the last few weeks my 6 year old Yamaha RX-V2067 receiver has started exhibiting some sound issue when its initially turned on.

So basically when its turned on first thing in the morning, there is either no sound or short burst of sound then silence. More recently sometimes it pops or loud continuous buzz like static. If I turn it off (sometimes a couple of power cycles needed) and back on it usually starts to work again and once its on its fine, but its as if its struggling to pick up the sound / decode the audio. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this but it also seems like the sound is a little quieter on the normal listening volume

All devices are connected by HDMI and all inputs have the same issue, so its not just one input.

I've been reading online and some of the evidence point towards a capacitor on the way out, but I'm not totally sure or how to test. Anyone had any problems like this in the past or any ideas what it could be / how to fix ?

Any help appreciated :)

Last edited:
Anyone any ideas at all ?

Could be the capacitor (C4) I think on the PSU board. If you get one and try and replace it yourself and it works then 'bobs your uncle' if not then it's probably best to have someone with a bit of expertise take a look. However you would have to be pretty desperate to keep this amp if you go down that route as it's usually more economically viable to just get a new one rather than pay nearly the same or sometimes more to have your existing one repaired!

Thanks @Arcam_boy,

Yeah if its going to be an expensive repair then I would need to look for a new one as I wouldn't want to pay much to get it fixed, but if its a capacitor are you saying that would be expensive to fix ? I dont think I would be able to do it myself so would need to get a repairer to do it.

Do you think the symptoms sound like a capacitor ?

If you know what your doing with a soldering iron then replacing the C4 capacitor isn't too hard but to be honest I thought the capacitor issue was with the older amps but I maybe wrong the symptoms certainly sound similar though!

The trouble is if you have any sort of repair shop/company even look at the amp they'll want £50 before even touching the amp! I was in a similar predicament recently and in the end it was cheaper and easier just to buy a new amp. For around £200 you could probably get a much newer amp with warranty. You may end up spending £100+ just to get this one working again.

Only problem with that is for £200 I'm not getting a receiver anywhere near as good as the one I've got :-(

To be honest I think I'll just have to live with it, as once its on and working it seems totally fine. Strangely I've noticed a few other threads popping up about sound on av receivers needed turned off and on again to fix, and I noticed that there was a sky HD update around 17th March which was around the same time this problem started happening. Maybe it's a coincidence or maybe thats caused an issue, I'll keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't get worse.

Bit of an update on this in case it helps anyone else down the line.

Think the sky HD update was probably just a coincidence. I've performed a full factory reset on the receiver (after taking photos of the settings/levels etc) and still no joy.

I also noticed that when initially powered on and there is no sound that there is also no sound coming from the built-in test tone which suggests it's not HDMI or source related.

I'm now convinced its a bad solder or loose component inside that once warmed up, makes a connection and allows the sound to work correctly <sigh>.

So I'm going to my local store tomorrow and the engineer is going to have a look and see if it's worth fixing/an easy fix and also to have a look at the new Denon AVR-X3300W as a replacement. It's on sale from at £529 from £799 and seems to have some decent reviews and looks to be as close to my Yamaha as possible for the price.

Again another update in case this helps anyone else in the future.

So receiver has been in for repair and is working perfectly again. Turns out it was some capacitors on the power supply that were faulty.

Anyway now I've got the Denon AVR-X3300W as a replacement and the other half has got used to using this one I think I'll try and sell the Yamaha in the classified section of this forum, so if anyone is interested then take a look on there :)

Thanks for all that helped on this and hopefully this can help anyone in the future who has a similar issue.

Hi, do you know which capacitors on the power supply they replaced?. I also have a rx-v2067 with the same symptoms. I have visually checked the power supply and other cards for bad caps but no one looks bad. I don't have the skills or tool to measure for bad caps :/

Sorry mate I've no idea I just passing on what the repair centre told me. I was just happy to get it back working.

I've got some similar problem with my RX-V2067. I've owned the unit since new without a hitch until yesterday. No sound what so ever, not radio, not analog, not HDMI, not even the built in test tone. I'm also noticing that the loudspeaker symbols that are supposed to light up and show what speaker is active or not (FR, FL, C, RR, RL...) is all black. They will light up when I try to play the test sound, otherwise not. To me it feels like some setting is wrong, but I haven't changed anything. I have restored the factory settings but still same problem. I have also looked through the self diagnostic function without any luck. I've also disassembled the whole unit without finding a trace of a component that has let the smoke out. Measured 5.4V on the 5.5V rail and 3.3 on the 3.3 rail. Seems legit. I'm sort of out of ideas for further investigation. If you've got a idea, throw it at me!

I've got some similar problem with my RX-V2067. I've owned the unit since new without a hitch until yesterday. No sound what so ever, not radio, not analog, not HDMI, not even the built in test tone. I'm also noticing that the loudspeaker symbols that are supposed to light up and show what speaker is active or not (FR, FL, C, RR, RL...) is all black. They will light up when I try to play the test sound, otherwise not. To me it feels like some setting is wrong, but I haven't changed anything. I have restored the factory settings but still same problem. I have also looked through the self diagnostic function without any luck. I've also disassembled the whole unit without finding a trace of a component that has let the smoke out. Measured 5.4V on the 5.5V rail and 3.3 on the 3.3 rail. Seems legit. I'm sort of out of ideas for further investigation. If you've got a idea, throw it at me!

As per my previous post I'm not sure it was repaired by a professional repair shop as I was totally out of ideas. Seem as though you've done more testing on the voltages than my limited skills would have so I can only suggest you get it looked at by a professional.

Since a few days I have exactly the same problem with my Yamaha RX-A2010 as described before: No sound for a few minutes, flickering of the decoder in the display, no speakers displayed. Once the device is up and running, everything is OK. It seems that this error description gradually accumulates on the Internet.
This annoying "power-on procedure" is getting worse every day.
This looks pretty much like an aged capacitor (on the power supply board) to me. Now there are quite a few electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board... Does anyone have a tip for this? (Which capacitors...)
I would be very grateful for your hints!

Has anyone managed to diagnose the problem? I've owned my 2067 from new and these last couple of weeks, it's started to develop the same audio fault as above posters have experienced.

After ten or so minutes, the amp warms up and the sound comes back.

Has anyone managed to diagnose the problem? I've owned my 2067 from new and these last couple of weeks, it's started to develop the same audio fault as above posters have experienced.

After ten or so minutes, the amp warms

I have just repaired my Rx-v2067, got it for $30AUD with the said fault and in excellent condition.

Yes it is the C4 capacitors located on the power switching board. There are two of them on the board, just replace them both as they cost only 80 cents each at local store.

They are 22uf, 630V capacitors, you will find them on my attached photos.
20201107_150945.jpg

20201107_152041.jpg

It should be back to life once the c4 capacitors are replaced.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks all for your input, but I still haven't managed to locate my problem.
What capacitor/capacitors on the Power PCB, on a Yamaha RX-V2071 or RX-A2010, would cause the same kind of problem?

Thanks all for your input, but I still haven't managed to locate my problem.
What capacitor/capacitors on the Power PCB, on a Yamaha RX-V2071 or RX-A2010, would cause the same kind of problem?

I've located the corresponding capacitors on RX-A2010/RX-V2071. They are moved to AMPPOWER 1 Board and their ID are C1839 and C1841. I will try to change these and come back with the outcome and photos.
IMG_3198.jpg

Last edited:
I've located the corresponding capacitors on RX-A2010/RX-V2071. They are moved to AMPPOWER 1 Board and their ID are C1839 and C1841. I will try to change these and come back with the outcome and photos.

I own an RX-A2010 (a BG model) that is having this problem and I sent it to a friend who is an expert in creating switching power supplies for high-end amps (which is hard, due to the potential for noise). According to him, my AMPPOWER (1) board is fine, outputting the correct +/- 12V, 7V, 5V, etc voltages and he claims that these caps aren't all that important to the correct functioning of the power supply.

Clearly, you had good results replacing those caps. Either my friend got this wrong, or I'm having a different problem.
Could you elaborate what problem you found with these capacitors? Does it cause a problem for the digital domain (for example a voltage that's in the grey area between '0' and '1')?

While not many people can beat my friend's analog expertise, he is not too keen on digital electronics, which could be why he didn't catch the problem you discovered.

For completeness sake: I ran the self-tests of the receiver, but never got a result from the DIGITAL (2) board's self-test (C2-1); it kept saying '--' for half an hour or so (I didn't time it), instead of giving either an 'OK' or 'NG' result. Unfortunately, the documentation gives no indication for how long the tests might take. All of the other tests gave a (passing) result within seconds though, so this one is suspect.

Hello,
I am writing to share my experience with the Yamaha RX-V 1067.
The sound disappeared and came back from time to time, sometimes there were scratching noises from the speakers. When there was no sound and the volume was touched, the sound returned.

I started like everyone else by re-soldering the DSP chip but there was no change.
Then I decided to check if there is sound after the digital part (after DACs) and I was very surprised that all the channels work normally but there is no signal at the input of the power amplifiers.
This can be easily checked with ordinary headphones at the connectors between "Function (3) PCB" and "Function (1) PCB".

Function (1) pcb is between the digital part and the power amplifiers, and it has several operational amplifiers for each of the channels and two identical integrated circuits for volume and tone control.

This board is powered by - / + 12v and then there are voltage regulators that lower to - / + 7v.
The positive + 7v was 3v and floated up and down. A stupid resistor on the base of the regulating transistor had interrupted. The bad thing is that the check of these +/- 7v cannot be done while the board is in the amplifier, it must be removed and powered with +/- 12v from an external power supply.
So the whole problem was a 5 cent resistor. The amplifier has been working normally for a week now.

I've located the corresponding capacitors on RX-A2010/RX-V2071. They are moved to AMPPOWER 1 Board and their ID are C1839 and C1841. I will try to change these and come back with the outcome and photos.View attachment 1419348
Did you manage to replace these and get your amp working again? I have an RX-A2010 and have just started having this problem. It started with a pop on a power up (like an internal fuse blowing) but then it worked ok for a couple of days. After that it would power up producing a gradually increasing by buzzing or nothing at all. Power cycle it and it is fine.

If this was the solution, and hints on the capacitor specs? Are they the ones mentioned upthread?

Did you manage to replace these and get your amp working again? I have an RX-A2010 and have just started having this problem. It started with a pop on a power up (like an internal fuse blowing) but then it worked ok for a couple of days. After that it would power up producing a gradually increasing by buzzing or nothing at all. Power cycle it and it is fine.

If this was the solution, and hints on the capacitor specs? Are they the ones mentioned upthread?
I have just replaced them but unfortunately something else has happened. Either during repair or reassembly. Picture but no sound....not even test sound. Will continue to investigate.

capacitor specs: 0,022uF 630V on European version, 0,047uF 630V on US version

Hello,
I am writing to share my experience with the Yamaha RX-V 1067.
The sound disappeared and came back from time to time, sometimes there were scratching noises from the speakers. When there was no sound and the volume was touched, the sound returned.

I started like everyone else by re-soldering the DSP chip but there was no change.
Then I decided to check if there is sound after the digital part (after DACs) and I was very surprised that all the channels work normally but there is no signal at the input of the power amplifiers.
This can be easily checked with ordinary headphones at the connectors between "Function (3) PCB" and "Function (1) PCB".

Function (1) pcb is between the digital part and the power amplifiers, and it has several operational amplifiers for each of the channels and two identical integrated circuits for volume and tone control.

This board is powered by - / + 12v and then there are voltage regulators that lower to - / + 7v.
The positive + 7v was 3v and floated up and down. A stupid resistor on the base of the regulating transistor had interrupted. The bad thing is that the check of these +/- 7v cannot be done while the board is in the amplifier, it must be removed and powered with +/- 12v from an external power supply.
So the whole problem was a 5 cent resistor. The amplifier has been working normally for a week now.
Which resistor was it?

I have just replaced them but unfortunately something else has happened. Either during repair or reassembly. Picture but no sound....not even test sound. Will continue to investigate.

capacitor specs: 0,022uF 630V on European version, 0,047uF 630V on US version

Thanks. Continuing to follow this with interest. My A2010 is dying rapidly: turn on and no sound. Power cycle a few times and you'll get sound coming in and dropping out. Keep power cycling and then the buzz will come, which starts quietly then increases and plateaus. Eventually it will settle down and produce unbroken sound, but it is getting harder to get to that point.

I have a pair of those capacitors and have located where C1839 and C1841 are. Once I have a replacement amp running and am not dependent on the A2010 I'd be prepared to spend some time trying to fix it, though if there's more to it than swapping these two components, and it becomes a detective hunt/goose case, I may be less keen...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom