Question Yamaha RX-V473 4K passthrough

dansim

Novice Member
Could anyone tell me if I need to upgrade my rx473 if i were to upgrade my projector to 4K? I know it is capable of 4K passthrough, but that was many years ago and i'm not sure if things have changed since then or even how that works! I won't upgrade my projector until I know if my av amp is compatible or else it's not really upgrading. If not can anyone recommend a good budget av receiver to go alongside a 4k projector? I really don't mind how old as long as it compares to the yam 473 I already have. Only a small room running Q acoustics 3010s, Q acoustic rear surrounds and yamaha sub. AV needs min 4 hdmi outputs.
Thanks.
Dan.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The receiver's actual 4K capabilities are limited and the receiver was introduced prior to HDCP 2.2 or higher compliance being intrdoduced.

The V473 isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant so will not fascilitate you passing connercial 4K UHD video sources through it.

If wanting to use 4K UHD sources in conjunction with and wanting to pass the associated video through the receiver then yes, you'd need an HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver.

You can still use a UHD disc player if the player has dual HDMI outputs. You'd connect the video HDMI output directly to the UHD display or PJ while using the second HDMI output to convey HD audio to older, non HDCP 2.2 compliant AV receivers. This would obviously become problematic if wanting to convey several sources to the PJ though.

Any current AV receiver would give you the abilities you are looking for.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom