Yamaha RX-V673 owners thread ...Pt 2.

Sounds like it's had it then. You may find if you take the lid off that a capacitor has blown or something.

Yeah, gutted.

Must have been a combination of heat and heavy use. We were on a 6 episode marathon of The Expanse, which was pushing out a lot of action scenes.

It all sounded amazing too. Always loved the sound from this unit.

Guess, I'll be going for a replacement.

I would look up the codes and just repair it. Probably not difficult and might be a replacement power board. I had a Samsung TV do something similar recently and my first thought was to replace it but I looked into it and ended up costing me about £15 to repair it.

Hi Savor Muck Fuss
I also have a 673 which has the hdmi out socket damaged so I am looking to replace the whole hdmi board .
If you can't fix it I may be interested in it and see if I can repair mine .

I would look up the codes and just repair it. Probably not difficult and might be a replacement power board. I had a Samsung TV do something similar recently and my first thought was to replace it but I looked into it and ended up costing me about £15 to repair it.

I can't seem to find the codes anywhere. Googled, looked in manual...can't find them. :(

You think it would be as little as £15? I assumed a lot more, with it being prohibitive compared to buying something new.

Hi Savor Muck Fuss
I also have a 673 which has the hdmi out socket damaged so I am looking to replace the whole hdmi board .
If you can't fix it I may be interested in it and see if I can repair mine .

Will let you know. :thumbsup:

I don't know if it would be £15, was just using that an example. My point was that a repair could potentially be significantly cheaper than just buying a new receiver.

Hi Guys

Similar story to Savor Muck Fuss, the v673 that i bought from here a few months back has gone through the same thing.

Seems the protection history tells me ps1 is 138 which is outside of operating norms

I see a link to IC78 which i assume is on the board somewhere.

Anyone had similar issues and managed to resolve?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sold mine (as non working).

Replaced with a Denon AVR-X2500H.

It's light years ahead in my opinion. A blessing in disguise.

Hey all. Newby here. I've got a 773 that was a hand me down from my in-laws for a while now, and I wanna play around with how it's setup. I know it's HDMI is a bit older these days, so maybe that a factor in how I use it.
My system at home is the 773, an lg 65uf850t tv, a media centre PC with Plex and Blu-ray drive for disk's, and a Chromecast. I'm using LG Champagne speakers from a htib for fronts and centre, in ceilings for 2 rears and a home made sub.
Currently I'm taking the tv and media PC audio to the amp via optical cables, and have the video from the PC going directly into the tv via HDMI, and the Chromecast directly into the tv. I've never really experimented with HDMI arc, so I'm wondering if it's worth hooking the media PC directly into the amp instead, and piping it through to the tv via the amp. I don't view any 4k content, or HDR (which I don't believe my tv does anyway. Part of the reason I want to change this is to tidy up all the cables running to the tv.
While this is an older amp, is it worth setting it up this way or not? One of the reasons I take the sound from the PC via optical rather than HDMI was because every now and then it would lose the sound, and require me going into sound settings and sorting it out. Back then I was using media portal, but now I use the Plex app on the tv.
Any thoughts or recommendations on seeing this amp up would be awesome! I've already leant a lot just reading through these threads since joining up last night.

That's how I did it with my 673, should work fine and like you say will help tidy up the cables.

I liked the option to edit the tv picture settings for each input, but your tv may not have individual options.

But by using the hdmi for sound it may give you the better options like dolby true hd if the amp supports it, as optical is limited to just dolby digital / dts

Thanks for the help, suggestions etc.

Did yammy make their ypao mikes with different size plugs? Because I was going to go through the calibration again, went to plug the mike in and the plug is too small for ypao jack on the front of my receiver! What the....??? I could have sworn I used this mike before, then rolled it up and placed it beside the amp in its cabinet. I know I've done a ypao multi seat position calibration as this amp is the first I've had that had Auto calibration capabilities. In fact I've don't it twice as a re-did it when I fitted in ceiling speakers. My in-laws have a yammy ysp5600 sound bar, so I'm wondering if it has a different size jack? Maybe we mixed them up somehow?

The mic inputs are the same 2.5mm mini jack inputs that they've always been. Are you sure that you aren't trying to plug the mic into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the receiver's front fascia?

The mic for the YSP5600 will be different and has a stand, but the jack plugs should still be the same 2.5 plugs used on all Yamaha AV receivers?

It's weirding me out, that's for sure! Definitely trying to plug it into the ypao Mike jack input, not the headphone input. It also is too small to plug into the headphone jack on a phone! The ypao Mike has the yamaha symbol on the front of it, and underneath the threaded insert for a tripod. I know with no doubt at all that I've completed several multi position Auto calibrations a couple of years ago. Maybe I had to borrow the in-laws Mike from their 5600? I wonder if this one would work if I found an adaptor plug to fit it? Strangely, the only two Yamaha amps our entire family, on both sides, has owned is this 773 and the in-laws 5600.

Here's a pic. Grabbed my calipers. The ypao Mike is about 2.5mm. The earbuds plug is 3.5mm, and it plugs straight into the ypao Mike jack on my 773. What the calipers could measure of the ypao jack on my amp said it was 3.35mm.
IMG_20200503_104741.jpg
IMG_20200503_110500.jpg

Hi all,

I've got a problem with ARC that is driving me crazy! If anyone can help that'd be great.

I got a new tv in December, a Philips 55OLED754/12. Now, when I got the 673 originally, I bought it for - amongst other reasons - the fact it handled 4k... Anyway... things change and of course when I finally get a 4K tv, 4k has changed, and it doesn't handle UHD etc.

I mainly use an nvidia shield for content (esp Disney+ these days). But I can't put the video through the receiver, so I have that going to HDMI2 on the TV. HDMI1 is connected to the receiver. When using the receiver for audio only, audio is on AV4.

ARC works, 50% of the time...Sometimes it randomly fails but I can't work out why at all. At first I thought it was a hardware issue - the socket being a bit loose but I'm 99% sure that isn't it now (I secured it very strongly). I've tried various HDMI cables of course.

But as well as watching the shield, we also watch content from the tv itself (with sound going to the receiver via arc too), and a blu-ray player which is connected to the receiver for audio and video.

And for no good reason that I can work out, sometimes the ARC works, other times it doesn't.

But if I pull the plug on the receiver and then plug it in again, 100% of the time the ARC starts working.

The obvious answer is get a new receiver and I will at some point but 1) I'd rather not spend that much at the moment, and 2) I actually don't know for sure if it is a problem with the receiver or the TV itself. I like the TV, but I have doubts about some of the software, it seems a bit buggy.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

It sounds like an u=issue with the cable you are using between the TV and the AV receiver? I'd suggest one of the following cables:

EDITED.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It sounds like an u=issue with the cable you are using between the TV and the AV receiver? I'd suggest one of the following cables:

By the way, your receiver is UHD and HDCP 2.2 compliant so should have no problem with passing through 4K video. The only thing it cannot passthrough are Dolby Vision, HLG or HDR10+ HDR. Yopu'd need to ise one of the first three HDMI inputs though because the remaining 2 aren't HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Thanks. I have tried lots of cables and some are modern I'm sure, but I've ordered some any way. Can never have enough... no, actually, I have lots all over ;) But worth a shot.

And yes, sorry, I was getting myself confused, I meant HLG/HDR etc - The shield box is and Disney etc is so I'd rather get the best picture - even though it's a pain not having it all through the receiver as it used to be.

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just realised that this thread is discussing the RXV673 as opposed to the RXV679. Ignore the comments I posted about the receiver being UHD compliant as they were in relation to the RXV679 and not the V673.

I've subsequently edited that post and removed the incorrect information.

Last edited:
Just realised that this thread is discussing the RXV673 as opposed to the RXV679. Ignore the comments I posted about the receiver being UHD compliant as they were in relation to the RXV679 and not the V673.

I've subsequently ediyed that post and removed the incorrect information.

Ha, no worries. I just know it doesn't give me the full capabilities of the tv and the shield so I stopped putting it through a day or two after I got it in December ;)

Just need to crack this on/off ARC problem!

Ok, I tried that. Got a pack of 3 cables today and swapped the one from the tv to the receiver, as well as the one from the shield to the tv (although the fault also occurs when I use the tv only with audio through the receiver).

Still no luck. As I said, it's 50/50 and of course it worked at first, which gave me hope, but eventually it stopped working and the only solution was to pull the plug on the receiver.

Anyone have any other thoughts as to what might be causing this? It could be the receiver, or it could be the TV. The receiver is obviously old, but I'd rather not replace it at the moment - a few things ahead in the queue - but the tv is in warranty and if that's it, I need to find out!

Thanks

After trying various solutions with the receiver I decided it was the tv that was faulty so spoke to Philips. They are trying to get someone to come and try to repair it (love to see them open it up and repair a 0.5cm panel in my house...) or - most likely - take it away for repair.

Currently in a stupid 'discussion' with them over the fact under Spanish law if I discover a fault with the TV within 6 months, and report it to them within 2 months of that, I have the choice of a replacement. They are currently refusing that saying I knew from the start and the period has gone.

I did know there was a problem with the sound, but I didn't know it was the TV, I presumed it was the receiver and/or other parts of the system, which is why I posted here. The timeline is simple and I am correct in my timings under the law.

They also confirmed other faults (pressing the menu button takes minimum 2 seconds, often more, to come up - I thought it was just crap software but they said it should be instant.

So now just waiting for them to come to their senses before contacting a family member who is a lawyer here in Spain.

It'll be the last Philips device I ever buy if they make this any harder. Very disappointing.

Well, it's not been a week since Philips (TPV actually) have replied to any messages, including one requesting the contact details of their legal department. Sorry to hijack a Yamaha thread, but just thought I'd update the situation here. I'll be posting about it elsewhere in a more relevant forum from now on. Word of advice, be very careful with choosing a Philips TV, my experience of support has been shockingly bad.

notice in the manual 'hdmi 1' input has 'bd/dvd' in brackets. does this mean i have to connect my blu-ray player to that input? what happens if i don't?

means flippin fiddling about if i do :laugh:

notice in the manual 'hdmi 1' input has 'bd/dvd' in brackets. does this mean i have to connect my blu-ray player to that input? what happens if i don't?

means flippin fiddling about if i do :laugh:
No, any HDMI input is fine they are named for convenience and correspond to the default inputs on the set up menu. You can use any input as they are all the same spec.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom