Yamaha RX-V677 Owner's Thread

Hoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, there doesn't appear to be an owner's thread for this receiver and having just bought one, it'd be great to discuss settings and experiences with other owners.

For me it's my first AV receiver, shopped around for over a year and finally got this Yamaha along with some Dali Zensor 1s in 5.1. Linked up to my new Sony TV it's an absolute dream compared to my last setup.

I have Xbox One going into HDMI 1 and a Raspberry Pi running Rasplex in HDMI 2 so far.

Also using Spotify to stream directly from receiver, controlled from my Android. Works flawlessly. Looking at getting some lossless music to really get the quality of those speakers shining through.

Watched my first 3D Blu Ray last night and there was a slight lip sync issue, audio was coming through slightly quicker than the image, tried a few different modes and also Pure Direct (I'm not sure what all these settings do yet) but the picture was always a few milliseconds behind. There's a manual delay option on the receiver which I had a quick go of but the girlfriend was watching too so didn't want to play around too much.

When I watched a few episodes of Big Bang streamed through the Rasp Pi there were no noticeable lip syncing issues.

Gaming on Xbox is an absolute pleasure with the sound coming through the receiver too. Shadows of Mordor and Forza 2 both make excellent use of the 5.1, very immersive.

In summary: Loving it so far :)

Would love to hear any tips and tricks from you guys along with your experiences.

Cheers!

Audio sync issues are more often than not due to a TV's video processing as opposed to the AV receiver, although using the receiver's own inbuilt video processing can also cause video delays. Try not to use the receiver to process video and try to minimise the amount of video processing carried out by the TV itself.

Audio sync issues are more often than not due to a TV's video processing as opposed to the AV receiver, although using the receiver's own inbuilt video processing can also cause video delays. Try not to use the receiver to process video and try to minimise the amount of video processing carried out by the TV itself.

I had the TV set to Cinema1, it's a Sony W905a, i've set it up as per Insanity's settings from this very forum, most of the processing is turned off. I hadn't considered whether or not the AV receiver was doing anything with the picture however, so you raise a good point there. I still don't know what I'm doing with it yet :) having a read of the manual now and experimenting with turning things off like Cinema DSP 3D mode etc.

Haven't managed to find any clear options as to what video processing the Yamaha receiver is doing yet, just went for the firmware update which will take 20 mins so see if that introduces any new options.

Is RS-V677 model capable for driving a 4-Ohm load speaker (5.1 system)?

Thanks for the advice :)

Just got my one, seems impressive. Lets keep the tips and tricks coming!!

Is RS-V677 model capable for driving a 4-Ohm load speaker (5.1 system)?

Thanks for the advice :)

Yamaha rate it capable, but with the proviso that you use the receiver's impedance switching. This isn't ideal and I'd not ordinarily suggest any receiver of this level the most suitable option for powering 4ohm loads with. It is usually only the flagship AV receivers that are truly capable of powering 4ohm loads withpout issue.

Hi peeps. i purchased my RX-V677 on Sunday 31st November 14 and i must say its not a bad amp, not as powerful sounding as my ageing DSP-AX763 which has done a sterling service. my main reason for buying the V677 was to gain 3D functionality to which it does perfectly and the added bonus of handshaking quicker than the AX763 when watching .iso files via my OPPO-BDP93.

i have had what i thought was HDMI handshaking issues with Tivo from Virgin Media but i think its turned out to be the Tivo box. at the same time every day when Deal or no Deal is on 4-HD the handshaking issues were really bad and it was every 4-9 seconds with a 1-2 second picture loss but sound was still coming through. my ageing AX763 was having very few problems so i put it down to the V677. it turns out that my AX763 which had handshaking issues with my OPPO-BDP93 when loading an .iso actually is less sensitive to input fluctuations so would carry on regardless apart from a few rare occasions with Tivo but it seems that the V677 is a lot more sensitive to HDMI input and tries to rectify things quicker so was giving me problems.

when i was having the problems i was swapping out the V677 for the AX763 and the issue would disappear which led me to believe that the V677 was at fault but it was not the case and it's the Tivo box that is the culprit. the problem has been that the Tivo box does not like recording live HD shows while watching the same show when the HDD is full. a quick clean out of all the deleted-recoverable shows, turning off predictive show recording and only setting record when we are out seems to have cured the problem and the V677 is now 100% rock solid.

i have not tried any of the WiFi or other gadgets that are bundled with the V677 as i dont need or use them.

my view of the V677 is that once set up its a nice amp but sounds a bit cheep compared to the AX763. this is evident on the centre channel to which it sounds a bit 'cardboard box' and the dialogue is not fixed to the screen like it was with the AX763 apart from that gripe all is well.

what i do like is that the V677 will show you on the display what codec the amp is receiving instead of just having Straight lit up all the time. i dont like the blue display and much preferred the good old amber display of the AX763.

i just hope that the V677 gives me as good a service as the AX763 as the AX763 has been in my system since i got it doing its stuff day in day out for the past 5+ years with not one bit of drama.

ooohhh and why did Yamaha decide that consumers dont want a multi remote... i'm now having to use the AX763 remote as it controls all my other gear and luckily controls the V677 as well.

I loving my 677 too. after the recent 1.44 firmware update, i found that Zone 2 speaker have better bass. it sounds nicer for zone 2 now, i believe it. :D

Hi Guys I'm the proud owner of a 677 but I've hit a problem and I cannot solve it. When my new amp and TV were delivered the guy set it up and all was working fine. All devices are connected to the amp via HDMI and then one output HDMI to the TV ARC HDMI port. Now I'm sure this is my fault and I've messed with the settings but I cannot get the TV sound to come through the amp and speakers. The guy said the sound from the TV would go to the amp via HDMI and I feel like I've tried every possible setting on the amp and nothing? Please help otherwise I might just go and buy an optical cable and be done with it as that should achieve the same.

well i think the firmware on these amps is seriously flawed. i thought i had solved the handshaking issues but it appears not. every day between 4pm and 9pm the amp drops out of sync with the HDMI, all other times the amp is rock solid. i have a sneaky suspicion that the amp is trying to update the network each day for 20mins on the hour, the only problem is that its not connected to any network. if not then why does the amp only play up between these hours. its affecting both my OPPO and the Tivo.

just plugged in my trusty AX763 and all is well again.

think the amp will be going back as i'm not putting up with it any longer.

So I've solved the TV sound problem from the amp but now other things are wrong. when I press HDMI 1 which is my bluray player the disc tray opens which is really annoying me now as the family don't yet know which each HDMI does so they scroll through them and every time the blu-Ray tray ejects and we have to get the Blu-Ray controller and turn it off. The second issue is last night I was watching a recorded program on the Humax player with sound through the amp and speakers from the HDMI. This morning I turn on the TV, Humax and Amp to watch another recorded program and no matter what I did no sound would come through the amp and speakers. I turn the amp on and off a few time and them finally it all starts to work. Whats going on with the AMP????? I wouldn't rule out me being dumb but I'm worried I have a faulty HDMI lead (they were all replaced when I got the amp) or the Amp is broken already???

Just saying hi....I recently joined the ranks of 677 owners. Set mine up yesterday alongside a brand new set of Dali Mikro Fazon 5.1s. Much much better than my old Sherwood/Celestion/Eltax setup which was over 12 years old.

Sounds great through the PS3 (HDMI only), I'm still working on the sound from the Sky HD box....the centre sounds a bit muddy to me and not as crystal clear as I'd like it. I am using an optical to carry the DD5.1 signal as I am using HDMI pass through for the Sky box (in HDMI port 2) and my TV doesn't decode DD5.1 so the sky box sends stereo through the HDMI and DD5.1 through the audio cable.

Music also sounds great through a connected iPod, and I will try Spotify later in the week.

The only gripe I've found so far is the FM antenna and the poor reception its giving me but that could be user error!

On the sound settings what sort of settings are people using?

I'm currently running it as straight with custom eq on the centre but flat for everything else. The YPAO did tell me one of my rears was out of phase but I checked the cabling and reran the test and all was OK.

Have not really tried any of the 'music' or 'movie' sound settings yet as I want to get the basics right before I tweak!

Last edited:
here goes, i turned on the WiFi and no joy but then i discovered that a few of the banana connectors were loose so i removed them, stripped off more sheathing and used the posts. so far so good and it seems to be much much better. no drop outs as i type.

there might be hope after all :)

I am not using banana connectors...its a UK model so the ports are blocked up (I know..I know...I can remove them).

Are you saying your WiFi dropped out due to loose banana plugs, or the sound was dropping out?

I am not using banana connectors...its a UK model so the ports are blocked up (I know..I know...I can remove them).

Are you saying your WiFi dropped out due to loose banana plugs, or the sound was dropping out?
i have had a weird HDMI handshaking issue since i got the amp. between the hours of 6pm and 9pm (was 4pm-9pm) the HDMI is very bad at keeping a signal and drops out continually.

i have tried everything including changing the cable to the Tivo box and my router, turned on Wifi to see if that was the problem and basically gone through every single setting on the amp, connected the speaker cable to the binding posts but to no joy.

its fine all other times apart from those above and i get not one bit of issue with it otherwise.

Interesting on the timing issue.... these amps in theory should be time agnostic. Other things that might influence it....central heating causing temp changes? Changes to power being supplied to the house? Like you said earlier, possible routine scans for new firmware? I'd take it back as faulty and get a new one under warranty. If the new one does the same you know its environmental.

update time.

i had the same issues at the same time again. this time i turned the amp off then on again and problem continued.

i then tried turning the tv off then on again along with the amp and problem continued.

i then turned the amp off, tv off and the tivo onto standby then turned everything back on again and bingo solved.

it has been fine since so it looks like if i start having issues then its a complete restart of everything.

think what i might do tomorrow is turn everything off then on gain just before the issue time and see what happens.

@Bibio sometimes it seems most electronics have to be reset every now and again to get rid of the "ghosts in the machine";). I'd take it back if the problems arise again for inspection/testing (or new amp if under warranty) as your problems aren't normal from what I've read on this amp before.

I've just picked one up to go with my Samsung 3d TV, PS3 and dali zensor 7 5.1. Looking forward to getting it all hooked up at the weekend.

well well, after going round and round i have finally got my bugs sorted out.

it was the HDMI cables that were dodgy, new cables and all is fine and rock solid. it seems that the HDMI on the V677 are very sensitive and even the slightest issue with a cable that otherwise worked in the old system was causing problems. new cables and the V677 is fantastic. before anyone says that the old cables might not have been good enough spec then they were V1.4 and worked perfect with my old amp. i'm still a bit puzzled as to why i was only having issues between the hours i was. all is fine for the moment but if i have more issues then i'll update.

There's no such thing as version 1.4 HDMI cables and if they were labelled as such then this is more an indication that they are substandard than not. Only those manufacturers that fail to meet HDMI orgs own guidlines label their products with the version number. It is technically a breach of HDMI's trademark to do so and the version number only relate to the hardware implementation and not the cabling.

ok dante01,
yes we all know that HDMI.org set the standards for hardware implementation and that with each new specification its backwards compatible with the former but with each new implementation comes new added features and speed, without having a good enough cable you cant take advantage of these features. cable manufacturers are only making it easier for Joe Public by saying that this or that cable is capable of such features by specifying the hardware implementation version and testing it to make sure that their cable design works with the hardware version.

what i was saying is that i had dodgy cables and that by changing them for new ones has solved my issues, sub standard cables or not. it seems that the HDMI ports on the V677 are a lot more sensitive than they were with my last amp and this is why i never gave the cables a second thought as to if they were the problem due to them working before.

also by saying what i have said in the post above some people like me having problems might try new cables and solve their problem by doing so. i'm only trying to help.

and for the record. i have been plugging sound systems into visual playback devices since betamax but i dont pretend to know it all.

ok dante01,
yes we all know that HDMI.org set the standards for hardware implementation and that with each new specification its backwards compatible with the former but with each new implementation comes new added features and speed, without having a good enough cable you cant take advantage of these features. cable manufacturers are only making it easier for Joe Public by saying that this or that cable is capable of such features by specifying the hardware implementation version and testing it to make sure that their cable design works with the hardware version.

There are no new requirements in terms of cabling. There's no such thing as an HDMI version 1.4 cable and previous incarnations of HDMI cables continue to work in conjunction with HDMI version 1.4. The existing cables can handle the increased bandwidth needed for 1080p 3D and even the bandwidth associated with 4K UHD video content. Manufactures that do label cables with a version number are dishonest and trying to cash in on the confusion. They are also breaching HDMI's own trademark by doing so. There's no testing associated with cables specific to HDMI version 1.4.

Here's the official HDMI categorisation of HDMI cables:
HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

These same classification apply to even the latest version 2.0 of the HDMI hardware specs.

there is nobody trying to con the public. they are mealy quoting what HDMI.org have done and that is numbed the hardware to help the public make it a more easy choice. as you have rightly pointed out at the moment the top specification is High Speed With Ethernet which will do all versions of HDMI hardware up to and including the new V2.0. if anything HDMI.org has made a booboo in adding numbering to their standards such as the new V2.0 hardware when in fact its just plain old High Speed With Ethernet including new added features. there is no new V2.0 so why are HDMI.org branding the version number about... more than likely you will see a new cable specification coming out in the near future that will be something along the lines of Ultra High Speed with ethernet.

lets say someone had HDMI standard cables and got a new system with 3D and Ethernet would you expect the Standard cables to work... ermmm no they wont so what does the average Joe Blogs do, they go out and ask their retailer for what ever version number they see written in the literature supplied with their shiny new toy. the retailer then says yes these cables are capable of HDMI V?? and should do just fine. if it were to be done any other way the consumer would get confused like most of them are at the moment.

i dont know why you are getting your panties in a twist about it.

They have been expressly told not to use HDMI version numbers for the cables and threatened with legal action if they continue to do so. The only reason for continueing to do so is to sell cables to consumers who do not realise that new cables are not needed each time the HDMI specs are revised. The manufacturers who are breaaching HDMI's own trademark are dishonest, not helpful.

I'm not arguing the toss with you, I'm telling you the facts. If you are so gullible and wish to invest so much into dishonest marketing tactics then it is you who loses out and no loss to me, but please do not suggest to others that what is being done by some manufacturers is being done to help anyone other than the manufacturers themselves!

The fact is that there's no such thing as version 1.4 cables and any cable that is labelled as such breaches HDMI's own trademark. HDMI do prosecute cable retailers and manufacturers that label cables in such a manner.

Lets say that there are established and clearly defined categories for HDMI cables as defined by HDMI org themselves and that no cable need mention the HDMI spec version. After all this is the case and not a proposition or presumption.

Your last post makes no sense. You are still refering to cables by HDMI spec version. HDMI version 2.0 doesn't require new cables either! The specifications only apply to the hardwatre and not the cables and are not used to categorise cables. Current cables will continue to work in conjunction with HDMI version 2.0 and can convey the bandwidth associated with 4K UHD video. HDMI org categorically state that new cables are not required for use with HDMI version 2.0.

Again, here's the official HDMI categorisation of HDMI cables irrespective of the hardware version they are to be used in conjunction with:
HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

By the way, name a device you'd need the ethernet channel for? Besides which, the inclusion of the ethernet channel capability should be stated in relation to a cable as opposed to the hardware specification that can potentially have such a capability. Not all HDMI version 1.4 or higher devices utilise the ethernet channel, in fact no device has yet employed its use.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom