Yamaha RX-V677 Owner's Thread

anyone done the 1.77 firmware update yet did mine tonight cannot find anything online to say what the upgrade is for though ?

In which case your SKY box hasn't had the firmware update that gives it the ability to output Dolby Digital via HDMI. This in turn explains why you are only getting 2ch stereo from the SKY box. You are getting 2ch PCM displayed because this is all your SKY box can output via HDMI if it hasn't been updated.

Look into whether or not your box is updatable and if not then you'll have to use optical to convey multichannel audio from it as opposed to HDMI.
I contacted Sky explaining the problem of not being able to update the sky+box. Because it's insured they are sending someone out. They gave me a date Jan 7th. I thought they were coming out a lot sooner than that and it wasn't acceptable. Waiting for call back. Sky=Rubbish

Hi Dante, If i look at the sound settings on the tv then turn the amp of it changes from home theatre to tv but i have no sound from tv speakers.

If you mean you switch the amp into standby and the TV switches to TV speakers then try increasing the TV's volume.

Has anyone come across this amp switching itself on? A couple of times or so a week my amp switches itself on and shows 'Airplay' on the display, always at nine in the evening. It's connected to an eight port switch, my tv, sky box and a pc are also connected to this switch. The network wake setting is turned on but it comes on without any specific activity. I have an Ipad but the amp comes on even when I'm not using it.

happy hammer, I know it's no comfort but my 673 amp and Panasonic GT60 TV do the same as you have found. I've not found anyone who claims to have it working. I always use the amp for all TV sound so it's not an issue for me other than the irritation of not knowing how to make it work. I've a couple more friends with similar setups to follow up yet.

I'd suggest the issue is either with the HDMI cable, Netflix or your XBox. It may even be an issue with your home network or internet provision if only apparent in relation to Netflix content?
The problem now occurs on all hdmi inputs. It updated the firm ware as well

Hello. First post.

I am having issues getting my RX-V677 to work with my speakers. Both are new and have not been set up before.

The speakers are Vizio SB4051-C0. They work when directly connected to the TV. However I cannot figure out what the proper way to connect them to the RX-V677 is. I have no issues getting video to work, only sound.

I have tried using optical, digital, and RCA but none have been successful. Obviously I am not setting it up correctly but I cannot figure out what the disconnect is. The guide seems to focus more on more advanced speak systems.

I'm not sure what information would be useful so if you need any clarification or pics of the setup just let me know.

Hello. First post.

I am having issues getting my RX-V677 to work with my speakers. Both are new and have not been set up before.

The speakers are Vizio SB4051-C0. They work when directly connected to the TV. However I cannot figure out what the proper way to connect them to the RX-V677 is. I have no issues getting video to work, only sound.

I have tried using optical, digital, and RCA but none have been successful. Obviously I am not setting it up correctly but I cannot figure out what the disconnect is. The guide seems to focus more on more advanced speak systems.

I'm not sure what information would be useful so if you need any clarification or pics of the setup just let me know.

The Vizio SB4051-C0 system comprises of integral amplification and audio processing. It is more akin to a soundbar than a surround sound speaker package. It cannot be used in conjunction with an AV receiver. The Vizio SB4051-C0 speakers can only be effectively used with the Vizio SB4051-C0 system. You need passive speakers and a standalone active sub. The Vizio SB4051-C0 is more an alternative to an AV receiver than it is something you'd use in conjunction with one.

You were spot on. Purchased the correct speakers and now life is good. Thank you for your help.

Now to figure out all of the settings....

Has anyone come across this amp switching itself on? A couple of times or so a week my amp switches itself on and shows 'Airplay' on the display, always at nine in the evening. It's connected to an eight port switch, my tv, sky box and a pc are also connected to this switch. The network wake setting is turned on but it comes on without any specific activity. I have an Ipad but the amp comes on even when I'm not using it.
Seem to have narrowed this down to the pc, with the pc switched off the avr doesn't come on, on it's own. As it seems to be from the same time that I upgraded the pc to W10 I'll get around to asking in the computer-desktop section if anyone has an idea where to start looking.

VERY STRANGE BUG!
I've just purchased my RX-V677 as an upgrade for my old Onkyo receiver (from 2008) in order to get into 4K 3D. Connections: 7.1 + Zone2 speakers (Polk Audio and Onkyo), a brand new LG 55UF9500 TV (thru my Monster HDMI cable), a brand new LG BP-440 Blu-ray player on HDMI input 1 (thru the HDMI cable that came with it) and the cable TV converter box on HDMI input 2 (thru a brand new HDMI cable). All of those protected by a reliable power conditioner. I've carefully gone through all the owner's manual for installation and configuration. One of the first procedures taken was to update firmware to version 1.77.
That said, let's go to the point. When I turn on the receiver the HDMI sign and some other information start blinking at the display (as if it is trying to tune signal from HDMI port) and the receiver keeps silent, with no image sent to the TV. After trying all possibilities that came to my mind, I noticed that it loads a perfect connection when I press the "on screen" or the "option" buttons at the remote control. I then get perfect image and sound from the desired input - but behind the on screen or option menus at the TV screen. After pressing those menus off, info at the display starts blinking again. Then I start to slowly turn on and off those menus - after some turns I'm successful on having my image and sound clear and ready without the menus boxes in front of it and then I get the fun.
Another thing that is surprising me is that, when I press "on screen" or "option", the receiver gets silent for a while, with no sound or image for 3 or 4 seconds, then it recovers image and sound but with those menus at the TV screen. It surprised me because I thought no signal interruption should be produced simply by calling for "on screen" menu. It can be a pain in the ass if you need to go to the menu in the middle of the transmission of the NBA finals.
There is nothing about a similar problem at the owner's manual. I took the receiver to the store and they promptly exchanged it to another new one. I've proceeded exactly the same way with the new one and the whole problem is there again.
My best guess is that there is a bug in the 1.77 version of the firmware. As I am sucessful at the end, it looks like there is no problem on the HDMI circuits nor I have any hardware issues.
Did anyone experience a problem like this? Can anyone help identifying the cause and solving it?

Annoying problem started in the last couple of days. When I press the "sur decode" button nothing happens. The amp will not switch from "straight". Before that button cycled through Dolby modes, now does nothing other than switch from straight to straight.

I saw there was a software update so have done that, but not fixed the problem.

Any ideas?

Annoying problem started in the last couple of days. When I press the "sur decode" button nothing happens. The amp will not switch from "straight". Before that button cycled through Dolby modes, now does nothing other than switch from straight to straight.

I saw there was a software update so have done that, but not fixed the problem.

Any ideas?
The same is happening to mine. Firmware bug?

Hi - I've just changed from an Onkyo 607 to a Yamaha 677 receiver (thanks to my old fella kindly donating it to me as an Xmas pressie! :) )

I'm having a problem getting it to sound as good as the Onkyo using my Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker system though. I've spent a lot of time over the last week tweaking the settings from the ones that the YPAO set-up recommended but I always seem to end up with either too much or too little bass.

Anyone got any suggestions for set up? Currently I've set all the speakers to large and set the crossover to 60Hz.

Any advise or suggestions to try gratefully recevied.

Hi - I've just changed from an Onkyo 607 to a Yamaha 677 receiver (thanks to my old fella kindly donating it to me as an Xmas pressie! :) )

I'm having a problem getting it to sound as good as the Onkyo using my Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker system though. I've spent a lot of time over the last week tweaking the settings from the ones that the YPAO set-up recommended but I always seem to end up with either too much or too little bass.

Anyone got any suggestions for set up? Currently I've set all the speakers to large and set the crossover to 60Hz.

Any advise or suggestions to try gratefully recevied.
I was advised to set speakers to small

I was advised to set speakers to small
I've tried that and it didn't seem to make much difference. The Bose manual says if your receiver gives a choice of large or small speakers then you should choose large. The manual also says set the crossover to the lowest setting on the receiver (usually 80Hz), but the Yamaha can go down to 40Hz which gives way to much Bass...

I've tried that and it didn't seem to make much difference. The Bose manual says if your receiver gives a choice of large or small speakers then you should choose large. The manual also says set the crossover to the lowest setting on the receiver (usually 80Hz), but the Yamaha can go down to 40Hz which gives way to much Bass...

The receiver's crossover filters only effect speakers designated SMALL. If you've designated them large then no frequencies are being redirected away from your speakers to the sub. The sub will only be active if there's a discrete LFE channel preaent in the audio stream coming into the receiver.

Adjust the Bass and LFE using the knobs on the Bass Module. I have my crossover set to 60Hz even though the receiver can go to 40Hz. Here are the LFE instructions for the Accoustimass 6:

Adjusting the bass/room compensation After placing the Acoustimass module where you want it, you can fine-tune it for that location. Make this adjustment only as necessary. For example: • If the system performance lacks bass, turn the BASS control (shown above) clockwise to increase the low-frequency output of the module. • If the audio overemphasizes bass, turn the knob counter-clockwise to reduce the low-frequency output of the module. The setting made at the factory is meant for use in the most common room arrangements. Adjusting the LFE level The LFE level control is for use only with receivers that provide an LFE/SUBWOOFER channel. Use it to match the volume level of the LFE channel with volume levels of your other speaker channels. You can check all levels by using the “test tones” feature on your digital surround sound receiver.

You shouldn't be using the setup as described in Bose's own instruction. THe speakers need to be connected directly to the receiver's corresponding speaker terminals, not to the sub and the sub needs to be connected to the receiver's sub pre out. The sub is not filtering the frequencies associated with the speakers! The frequency filter onboard the sub is surplus to requirements. Bose's own instructions are not conducive with how you correctly connect and setup both speakers and a sub to a modern day AV receiver.

When correctly connected set the sub's own filter as high as it allows and its volume to just under half way. Run the YPAO calibration.

After the calibration, designate all speaker sizes as being SMALL and set the crossover on the receiver and only on the receiver to 60 - 80Hz. I'd suggest 80Hz as being the preferable setting.

The Bose System is designed to run through the Bass Module. It is not technically, nor does Bose describe it as, a Subwoofer. However, if you do connect your speakers directly to the amplifier, you may want to use "small" for the speaker size. If you run the speakers through the bass module, follow the instructions and set the speaker size to "large" in the amplifier settings. The bass module DOES filter the frequencies associated with the speakers. Adjust the bass and LFE using the adjustment knobs on the bass module.

Further to Enterprise63's post...
Do NOT under any circumstances connect these Bose speakers directly to a receiver.
The manual explicitly says so on page 8.

The special multicore cable must be connected to the receiver's speaker outputs.
The Bose module then uses the speaker level signals, possibly with attenuation and/or protection, to connect to the Bose satellite speakers.
Set the speakers sizes in the Yamaha receiver as per the Bose manual (Large).
To use the subwoofer module with music you will have to use the Extended Bass function on the receiver.

IMO it's an unusual method and is not the best combination most of us would recommend.
The use of RCA connectors for speakers is also rather strange but hey ho you've got it now so set it up as Bose says.

I wonder why Bose get so much stick and why it is usually suggested peope avoid Bose?

(rhetorical question of cause)

Get some of those nice beige trousers with elasticated waistbands. They advertise them on the back cover of the Radio Times too so they must be good? :)

Solution: Sell the Bose Acoustimass 10 system and get something that is actually fit for purpose.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom