Yamaha RX-v685 Crackling issues after YPAO Setup

Tonez9510

Hi AVForums, So here's my issue, I have tried in vain to find even a single thread with my problem. So hopefully someone out there can help me solve it. I have a Yamaha RX-v685, Q Acoustics 3020i fronts, 3010i rears, 3090Ci centre, a BK Electronics xls200 Sub and a LGTV OLED55C7V plugged into the receiver. The problem is when on Netflix menu screen or when no audio is playing, I get terrible crackling through every channel. After trying literally every setting on the AV settings I found out that it only starts after I have run the YPAO setup. If I manually configure my levels/distance to speakers its fine so I think it's something maybe to do with the PEQ. When I turn on my YPAO volume it starts but if I turn then on the adaptive DRC it stops. Also it only starts when the volume is -29.5db or lower. Can anybody explain why this is happening? Is my AV receiver faulty? Thanks in advance, Tony.

Attachments

dante01

Distinguished Member
Where is he crackling sound eminating from? Is it from all the speakers, some of them or only one of them?

I'd tend t think it to be a fault with the receiver and you should contact the retailer to see about returning it under warranty. The other potential cause could be the speakers?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can only suggest that you turn the receiver and sub off and then disconnect the speakers from the AV receiver. I'd then systematically connect any of the speakers apart from the cenre speaker to each set of speaker terminals in turn, paying particular attention to the centre speaker terminals when you connect another speaker to those terminals. If you still get the crackling via the centre speaker terminals voa a different speaker then the issue is far more likely to be with the receiver as opposed to being an issue with your centre speaker.

Tonez9510

So I tried this out. When I plugged the speakers back in except the sub, the crackling went only to the rears this time, with the sub connected the crackling is back to the centre and the sub. Also if I swap the centre for a front the sound follows. The Receiver is under warranty, but do you have any idea why this is happening? Is it repairable? Below is a video, I turned the gain all the way up on the sub to highlight the sound problem.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It could be poor solder on a circuit board? Other than this, I've n idea as to an exact reason for it.