Answered Yamaha RX-V781 Atmos problem

Hi guys,

How you doing, hope you are all well.

So after struggling with the tablet, I´ve decided to buy an Apple TV 4k that comes with Dolby Atmos, but after setting up everything, and making sure the Apple TV is sending Dolby Atmos to the Yamaha RV I still get the PCM sign when I press the info button :\

This is becoming something personal between me and this receiver sent directly from hell... what should I do to get the same display as you guys get "Dolby Atmos" help much appreciated, thanks again <3

PS: is there a way to get the Yamaha to wake up at a certain time with lets say Jazz Music on internet radio? can´t find the wake up mode anywhere only sleep mode... thanks!

Hi Sarah,
Give yamaha support a ring they are very helpful, failing that pm me and i’lI try and help.

Hello again guys,

So, still at the same point, now I have the Yamaha receiver connected to the Apple 4K TV, but still no sign of Dolby Atmos in the receiver... quite frustrating... any ideas? thanks.

Hello again guys,

So, still at the same point, now I have the Yamaha receiver connected to the Apple 4K TV, but still no sign of Dolby Atmos in the receiver... quite frustrating... any ideas? thanks.

Ensure that you follow the guidancw as given by Apple as to the settings that need setting onboard the Apple TV if wanting Atmos:

Note that the Apple TV outputs Atmos along with multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT and doesn't Bitstream DD+.

[QUOTE
Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT
The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes, PCs, and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.
][/QUOTE]

I have followed every single step both in the Apple TV 4k and in the yamaha receiver, Dobly Atmos its activated in the apple tv 4k but in the receiver it display SUR. DECODE, totally blocked with this... thanks guys
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_5618.JPG

Press STRAIGHT on the receiver's remote. As said, the Apple TV will output PCM even if conveying Atmos to your receiver. You'll get PCM with the inclusion of Atmos metadata.

What speaker configuration and layout do you have? Are you sure that the content you are playing includes an Atmos soundtrack? Remember that you'd only get Atmos via Netflix is subscribed to its top tier UHD subscru=iption.

Go into the receiver's ON SCREEN menus and down into INFORMATION. Use the AUDIO entry here to determine exactly what the source is outputting to the AV receiver. If possible, post an image of the INFORMATION AUDIO screen.

Press the straight button on your remote control.

Next up, are you sure the speaker configuration on the AVR is correct?
Can you show us a screenshot of what you're set to currently?

This reminded me that my Yamaha 3070 didn't show the input signal but always surround decode, enhanced or some such I was interested in. I always preferred my older model's display in that regard where it was clear what was being played (important for films which don't default to the best track, i.e. The Matrix I just put in now).

As someone mentioned here for my receiver to show the input source I had to press the "info" button on the remote repeatedly until it showed what I was after. Specifically I pressed it, saw what was shown on the screen as the type of info and then waited for a moment so it reverted to showing the info. Perhaps give that ago? I know it was mentioned before but clicking info once didn't do it for me.

2 types of information can be conveyed via the disp;ay:
DSP PROGRAM
AUDIO DECODER

You'd need the AUDIO DECODER option if wanting the type of Audio format coming into the receiver to be shown. Note that this will also indicate any additional SURRROUND DECODER upmixing as well as the aforementioned format.

You can cycle between the front display options using the INFO button on the receiver itself or on the receiver's remote.

This is on more recent and current Yamaha models, but the manner in which you change what is being displayed and the information you get is the same on earlier models. The only real difference with the older models is that they also include a third INPUT option. The newer models indicate the source/input regardless of which of the 2 other options are in use.

I am fairly certain I know why she, and others that are also here looking for the answer— is not receiving Dolby Atmos. This forum, and every other forum— are incredibly helpful. However, there is a massive overuse of technical jargon & in order for a resolution to work, it has to make sense.

I fully believe that her audio is set to PCM within her source. When I say source, I mean: The Blu Ray Player, the 4K Apple TV, the 4K fire stick, etc— NOT the “receiver.” The individual electronic device you have that is likely connected to your receiver.

You need to go to the settings menu of that individual device ~~> go to audio/settings ~~> change the default from PCM to Bitstream. I have mine set as Bitstream uncompressed, but choose Bitstream. Nobody comes right out & tells anyone this, which is a huge miss in Atmos awareness— but Atmos requires Bitstream & if you use the “default” of PCM, it will ruin everything.

That is all.

THe Apple TV use Dolby MAT to deal witth Atmos ans as such conveys Atmos via PCM:

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT
The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes, PCs, and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.

You can find details of how to configure the Apple TV's settings to correctly output Atmos here:

It is repeatedly indicated throughout this forum (and others) that source devices must ordinarilly be configured to BITSTREAM audio via HDMI or via ARC in order for Atmos metadata to be conveyed to an AV receiver.

Last edited:
I am fairly certain I know why she, and others that are also here looking for the answer— is not receiving Dolby Atmos. This forum, and every other forum— are incredibly helpful. However, there is a massive overuse of technical jargon & in order for a resolution to work, it has to make sense.

I fully believe that her audio is set to PCM within her source. When I say source, I mean: The Blu Ray Player, the 4K Apple TV, the 4K fire stick, etc— NOT the “receiver.” The individual electronic device you have that is likely connected to your receiver.

You need to go to the settings menu of that individual device ~~> go to audio/settings ~~> change the default from PCM to Bitstream. I have mine set as Bitstream uncompressed, but choose Bitstream. Nobody comes right out & tells anyone this, which is a huge miss in Atmos awareness— but Atmos requires Bitstream & if you use the “default” of PCM, it will ruin everything.

That is all.

Over simplifying things is all well and good, but how would your instructions help those with an Apple TV or those whose issue with not getting Atmos not having anything to do with the HDMI audio output settings on their sources? AS I indicated, the Apple TV does actually stream Atmos metadata in conjuncrion with PCM data.

Most of those oferfing advice here are already aware of the need to BITSTREAM audio if wanting to convey Atmos metadata. They are also informed and well versed in other aspects of various configurations that you appear not to be as well informed about?

Hi guys,

How you doing, hope you are safe at home during the quarantine.

Since I had some free time these days I decided to take it personal and give it another go, finally I made this machine made in hell to display "Dolby Atmos", you were right it needs to be in "straight mode", then just press info and it will display it.

Now Im facing a different issue, while I get the Dolby Atmos signal, I dont get any sound from the hanging atmos speakers, is this normal? If I use a different setting like "7ch Stereo" they sound perfectly, but not in straight mode... any ideas? thank you <3

Attachments

• IMG_8354.JPG
    IMG_8354.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 173
Forgot to mention, I'm getting the signal from an Apple TV 4k, and I have a 7.1 system, thanks

What speaker terminals are your ATMOS speakers connected to?
Can you take a few pics and post them here please.

1: A pic of the back of your RXV781 so we can see how the cables are connected.
2: A pic of your TV's on-screen guide when you're in the RXV781's setup menu... in particular the section called 'Power amp assign' and 'speaker configuration'.
To be fair, the more pics the better as we'll be able to spot issues for you.

Hello,

Please find attached pictures of all the speakers and the back of the RXV781, the speakers are connected to the EXTRA SP1 / F Presence / Zone 2, if I remember well I think it was mentioned to plug them there in the receiver manual.

Its strange because if I choose 7ch stereo to watch a movie there is sound coming from the Atmos speakers, but when straight is on and Atmos is displayed in the receiver there is no sound.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_8376.JPG
    IMG_8376.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8377.JPG
    IMG_8377.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8378.JPG
    IMG_8378.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8380.JPG
    IMG_8380.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8381.JPG
    IMG_8381.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8382.JPG
    IMG_8382.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8383.JPG
    IMG_8383.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 187
Its strange because if I choose 7ch stereo to watch a movie there is sound coming from the Atmos speakers, but when straight is on and Atmos is displayed in the receiver there is no sound.
That could very well be that the sound is not there for the channels simply because the soundtrack doesn't contain much Atmos effects. There are several Atmos titles where the speakers are virtually mute throughout, American Sniper is a prime example.

If the receiver is showing Dolby Atmos then that is what you are receiver. It shows that the receiver is processing the meta date contained within the Dolby TrueHD stream correctly. If you have any DTS HD MA 5.1 films then engage DTS Neural:X as this can throw more information to those speakers than an actual Atmos title often does.

Even then do not expect the ceiling to become alive with sounds. BTW looking at your photograph of the speaker connections beware of that stray wire, it's very close to touching the chassis.

You cannot have a 7.1 setup on your receiver and still be able to get and portray Atmos. You'd need a 5.1.2 setup.

The Atmos speakers need to be connected tp the EXTRA SP1 (Front Presence) terminals. You'd not be able to utilise the back surrounds while portraying Atmos or if using the PRESENCE SPEAKERS. Your receiver only has 7 channels of amplification available to it so can nly drive 7 speakers at any one time.

You can have a setup that has both back surround and 2 Atmos speakers, but the back surrounds will not be engaged while portraying Atmos soundtracks and the presence speakers will not be engagd if portraying discrete 7.1 channel content. The receiver will automatically switch the amplifier assignment from the Front Presence to the Surround Backs depending upon the audio source and or the mode you engage.

snapshot001.jpg

Ensure that your Atmos speakers are connected to the EXTRA SP1 Front Presence speaker terminals and not the EXTRA SP2 Back Surround terminals. If getting any audio via the Back Surrounds while portraying Atmos then this would indicate that the Atmos speakers are connected to the wrong terminals.

So, cnnect your speakers as follows:

• Front left and right to the Front Left and Right terminals
  • Centre speaker to the CEnter terminals
  • Left and right Surrounds to the Left and Right Surround Terminals
  • Back Surrounds or Zone 2 speakers(if wanting to include them) to the EXTRA SP2 Back Surround terminals
  • The Atmos Presence speakers to the left and right EXTRA SP1 Front Presence speaker terminals
  • Connect the subwoofer to the sub pre out
Note that if you aren't wanting to have back surrounds and if not fascilitating speakers in an additional zone then nothing should be connected to the BACK SURROUND EXTRA SP2 terminals.

Now go into the receiver's SETUP/SPEAKER/MANUAL SETUP configurations. Navigate to the POWER AMP ASSIGN configuration and ensure this is set to BASIC. If wanting Zone 2 speakers as opposed to BACK SURROUNDS then choose the 5.1.2 + 1ZONE option in the Amp Assignments rather than the BASIC option.

Now go back into the speaker configurations and navigate down to the CONFIGURATION/LAYOUT/FRONT PRESENCE setting. Set this in accordance with where your Atmos/Presence speakers are located (Front Height, Overhead or Dolby Enabled SP).

Once you've done this, run the receiver's YPAO calibration.

Last edited:
Use the INFO (WPS) key on the receiver itself to alter what the receiver is showing on its display.
Well I'll be dammed, i've been trying for an eternity and I mean months to get Atmos on my Sony X800 [Joker] HDR/ Atmos and Netflix [Snowpiercer] Dolby Vision/ Atmos.
And after years with different amp/receivers I too didn't know about the info button.
At last i've got Dolby Atmos.... God bless you :)

OOoooooops looks like i spoke too soon in my enthusiasm, although I have now got the receiver displaying Dolby Atmos, I now notice that the X800 when clicking display is showing Dolby TrueHD 7.1, on the disc setup i of course selected Atmos.
does anyone have the answer to this please.

If the receiver says Atmos on the display then that is what you are getting.

Players don't include any ability to detect Atmos metadata and they can only detect the format of the audio the metadata is being packaged with. Your player is simply detecting the YtueHD audio package within which the Atmos metadata is contained. THis will be detected by the AV receiver if you nitstream the TRueHD audio to the AV receiver.

For confirmation of this, go to the INFORMATION/AUDIO section of the AV receiver's settings. You'll notive that it indicates not only Atmos, but also the type of audio the Atmos metadata was package with. THis will either be TrueHD, Dolby Digital PLus (DD+) or PCM in the case of audio being streamed from an XBox, an Apple TV or a Windows PC. THe 3 last devices use Dolby MAT to convey Atmos, hence why it is streamed in conjunction with multichannel PCM. Discs tend to package Atmos within TrueHD and streaming services tend to use DD+.

Last edited:
Thanks for that buddy.
Just one more thing that might be of interest to someone, I watched Snowpiercer as I say on Netflix in Dolby Vision/Atmos worked fine, but this was from the TV app.
When I tried it from Virgin the V6 box would only do HDR and 5.1.

I'm not sure that Virgin/Netflix support Atmos via the Netflix app on the V6 box? Virgin do however provide provision for Atmos in association with UHD BT Sports channel broadcasts. I never use the Netflix app on the V6 and prefer to use the app on my LG TV. I get both Dolby Vision and Atmos via the TV's app. The V6 cannot and will not support Dolby Vision and you only get HDR10 in association with content inclusive of Dolby Vision HDR.

Last edited:
Hello,

Xbox Series X connected directly to Oled C9
Yamaha receiver V583 connected to TV EARC

TV sound settings:
HDMI ARC
Digital Sound Out / AUTO = displays ATMOS/DD+
Digital Sound / PASSTHROUGH = displays ATMOS/PCM

Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello,

Xbox Series X connected directly to Oled C9
Yamaha receiver V583 connected to TV EARC

TV sound settings:
HDMI ARC
Digital Sound Out / AUTO = displays ATMOS/DD+
Digital Sound / PASSTHROUGH = displays ATMOS/PCM

Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance!

No and neither would you have the option to choose between one or the other. The XBox relies upon Dolby MAT when it comes to outputting Atmos. This relies upon the Atmos metadata beingstreamed with PCM data as opposed to the metadata being packaged with either DD+ ot TRueHD when output gtom the sourve. The XBox decpdes the DD+ or TrueHD formatted audio the Atmos metadata is packaged with and then uses Dolby MAT to stream the metadata along with the resulting PCM audio data.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD
Dolby has expanded the Dolby TrueHD format to allow the format to support Dolby Atmos content on Blu-ray and ultra high definition Blu-ray Disc. Prior to Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD provided lossless support for channel-based audio, such as 5.1 and 7.1. Now we have added a fourth substream for Dolby Atmos sound in Dolby TrueHD codec to enable a support for a losslessly encoded object-based sound mix.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD is transmitted from a Blu-ray player or Ultra HD Blu-ray player to your AVR via an HDMI connection. If your AVR supports Dolby Atmos, the Dolby TrueHD object-based audio and related metadata will be decoded, processed, scaled, and rendered to your specific speaker configuration. Dolby Atmos audio can be encoded with Dolby TrueHD at multiple sampling rates (including 48 and 96 kHz) and bit depths (16- and 24-bit).

Dolby Atmos enabled receivers will also support legacy Dolby TrueHD bitstreams at multiple sampling rates (including 48, 96, and 192 kHz) and bit depths (16-, 20-, and 24-bit) to provide full backward compatibility with legacy Blu-ray Disc media and Dolby TrueHD music files.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital Plus has been updated and features a new decoder capable of processing content encoded for Dolby Atmos. This module uses new bitstream metadata to extract Dolby Atmos object-based audio and outputs this information for further signal processing. The sampling rate for Dolby Atmos content is 48 kHz, the same sample rate as for Dolby Digital Pluscontent.

Both new audio decoders are designed to be fully backward compatible with legacy channel-based Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT

In the instance where getting DD+/Atmos, you are receiving the metadata packaged within the DD+ audio package.

You cannot get Atmos from an XBox packaged as DD+ and you can only get Atmos from the XBox using Dolby MAT in association with multichannel PCM. The PCM data will be the same quality as the format it was derrived from.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom