Question Yamaha RXV685 vs RXA680

rberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my Yamaha RXV681 which has developed a fault and is out of warranty. I want to stick with Yamaha as I also have some MusicCast speakers that I use in another room.

I have been looking at the current equivalent AV receiver model which is the RXV685 (£399 from Richer Sounds) but also considering the entry level model in the Aventage range which is the RXA680 (£499 from Richer Sounds).

Any thoughts as to how the two models compare?

I am aware that the RXA680 has a lower power output (80 watts per channel as opposed to 90 for the RXV685), but the assistant I spoke to in Richer Sounds yesterday seemed to think the RXA680 would be better for playing music. I use the AV receiver for playing music as well as for watching TV/movies. I'm not bothered that the RXA680 has only 4 HDMI inputs and only 1 HDMI output as that's all I use. I'm also not bothered that the RXA680 has lesser Zone2/Zone B functionality for outputting to wired speakers in another room as that's not a feature I've ever used.

My main concern is how the two models will sound, including when used for music playback. My speakers are a set of KEF KHT2005.3's which are still going strong after a number of years of use.

Buy the RXV685. You'd only really be getting the Adventage build if opting for the A680.

So you don’t think the A680 would sound better? Would I need to go for an Aventage model higher up the range to get an advantage?

So you don’t think the A680 would sound better? Would I need to go for an Aventage model higher up the range to get an advantage?

I think it would sound much the same as the V685. The lower tier Adventage models don't use a different DAC and their components are basically no different to those used in the RXV models. The only main difference is their casing/chassis and the addition of the "wedge" fifth foot which is supposed to reduce resonance. It isn't until you get to at least the RXA1080 that you'd be gaining anything by opting for an Adventage model over the RXV models. The only other reason to go for an Adventage model is if wanting pre outs and the lowest model Yamaha do with pre outs is the RXA880. This is in effect what would have been the RXV785 if you'd have left the fifth foot off it.

Last edited:
What about if the price is same at the moment for both?
At Richer Sounds both priced at £439 should i take RXA680?
Dante what you recon?

You'd be gaining in terms of build quality if opting for one of the Adventage models. They have a better chassis design than the RXV models. What you'd not get are the 2 HDMI outputs, the phono stage or the front left and right pre out associated with the RXV685.

@dante01 please i have read most of your comments but still note sure about the following:

- is there a really clear sound difference between the V685 and the A1080 ? they don't use the same DAC i know but on the field and using mainly low volumes and small speaker packages....

what do you think ?

You;d ideally want good quality speakers to reap the benefits of the differences. The power supply is better and gives cleaner power and the DACs onboard the A1080 also impart less noise than the Burr Brown DACs employed onboard the models below the the top three Yamaha models. There are improvements and you will perceive them, but do not expect night vs day like differences.

Last edited:
Did anyone buy.... and what do you think.... I'm in exactly the same problem, not sure which to buy. The shops lean towards the 680. Wondering why the 685 is so much heavier? The DAB on the 680 is a bit of a sway.

I'd suggest that the weight difference boil down to the additional weight assciated with the additional terminals and circuitry onboard the V685.

The RXV685 has several advantages over the A680. It has one more HDMI input as well as 2 outputs and it has front analogue pre out. There also 2 optical imputs on the V685 compared to the A680's single input. You'd also get second zone audio abilities with the V685.

The RXV685 is a superior model, will more features and abilities.

There's a side by side comparison here:

Cheers Dante, the DAB is not a deal clincher but could you help with this, in respect of the 2nd zone feature.... I have 2 sets of decent speakers, sub and centre. I often switch between the 2 sets when listening to music, depending on how I feel. I have made a cumbersome switching box for this. So, would the 685 have this capability.... being all included in a 5.1 setup but being able to switch between the 2 pairs when playing music. Not sure if 2nd zone would facilitate this?
Many thanks... Paul

A second audio zone would only facilitate a pair of stereo speakers. AV receivers don't include the ability to have more than just 2 stereo speakers in a second audio zone. The receiver will not EQ or level the second zone and has no prevision for bass management relative to that zone.

I'd also question your current arrangement given the fact that at least one setup will be incorrectly calibrated given that the AV receiveris using the same calibration for both sets of speakers.

If serious about sharing HDMI sources between different zones then you'd want a receiver with second HDMI zone abilities. You'd also need another AV receiver for the second zone.

Last edited:
Thanks Dante, just as I thought. Currently, only one pair of speakers is linked to the TV av system. The switch box allows me to link/ switch the independent pair and TV pair to my music system. Many thanks, best wishes. I missed an opportunity to buy the 680's at an open box price last night... gone this morning. I believe both the options will be coming to the end of their shelf life soon so will hope to find a decent price.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom