On offer at Peter Tyson for £399 now.....

Just got one from Peter Tyson, but I have a question about the sub woofer...or rather replacing it.
I have a spare Tannoy HTS sub that I can use instead. Which is objectively better?

The Tanoy is rated at 100W with 29Hz-200Hz response. (200mm/8" cone)
The soundbar's is rated at 75W (140mm/5.5" cone) - couldn't find any info on frequency response.

Should I bother swapping the sub or leave it as is..?

Just got one from Peter Tyson, but I have a question about the sub woofer...or rather replacing it.
I have a spare Tannoy HTS sub that I can use instead. Which is objectively better?

The Tanoy is rated at 100W with 29Hz-200Hz response. (200mm/8" cone)
The soundbar's is rated at 75W (140mm/5.5" cone) - couldn't find any info on frequency response.

Should I bother swapping the sub or leave it as is..?
I don't have believe you can swap out the subwoofer as it outputs some mid range frequencies, it's not 100% a true sub. Ideally you want the sub at the front of the room near the soundbar. You can run two subs, I did it for a while, I had a splitter on the subwoofer cable so a feed went to the yamaha, then another feed to the subwoofer behind the sofa.

potentially stupid question here but here goes...

I have a Vinyl 500 turntable which I connect via MusicCast to my YSP. I do this by opening the MusicCast app and linking Vinyl to YSP then playing a record, once I've done unlink and put YSP to TV-Arc. I was wondering if there's an easier way to do it withut using the app, maybe with the remote? Or a way to keep them linked all the time? Or am I being dumb?

any help/comments welcome :)

You can hardwire the 2RCA Output of the TT to the 2RCA Line Input on the YSP - you need to set the TT Output switch to Line.

You can then select the TT as an Input on the YSP using the YSP Remote .

Joe

right, thanks. Understand. TT isn't near YSP though hence me using the MusicCast capability. Oh well

Now £449 at Peter Tyson but with £50 cash back from Yamaha, so still £399. Just ordered one.
Yamaha cashbook deals run until 15th June 2020,

I see that both Richer Sounds and John Lewis no longer sell this and it looks like it is now on a sales push. And yet it is still showing as a current model on the Yamaha website.
i think that it was launched in 2016 so it would seem overdue for replacement. There has been a flurry of releases from Yamaha’s competitors due to eARC and Atmos.
i bought the Yamaha because of its 3 hdmi inputs as well as audio input sockets. The thought of spending £1000 for a soundbar with only one hdmi input and no audio sockets is ridiculous to me.
I‘m going to stick with the Yamaha despite the sub-woofer that really isn’t and the lack of eARC.
Yamaha, upgrade the YSP-2700 soon!

I’ve had my YSP2700 since 2016 and it’s worked flawlessly. I’d only ever replace with another Yamaha with similar HDMI connectivity

No, the YSP2700 doesn't currently support HDR10+ passthrough.
Is this still the case? Is this a concern or does the fact that in can do HDR10, DV and HLG make this a non-issue?

I currently have a YSP-2500 and I am considering upgrading to the YSP-2700 purely for the HDR passthrough.

Is this still the case? Is this a concern or does the fact that in can do HDR10, DV and HLG make this a non-issue?

I currently have a YSP-2500 and I am considering upgrading to the YSP-2700 purely for the HDR passthrough.
I believe it's still the case. Connect your player to TV and route HDMI audio seperately to the YSP to ensure you get HDR10+ displayed.

If either your TV or player does not support HDR0+ then you need not worry, you can just route everything direct to the YSP as that will passthrough standard HDR10 and DV.

I believe it's still the case. Connect your player to TV and route HDMI audio seperately to the YSP to ensure you get HDR10+ displayed.
Thanks, I was hoping to avoid having to make a double cable run. But I may well have to take that approach. I am considering a Panasonic TV which supports both formats.

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid having to make a double cable run. But I may well have to take that approach. I am considering a Panasonic TV which supports both formats.
It's an extra cable, but something you can forget about when done. In comparison DV is better supported, though more titles recently cater for both formats.

So as your setup supports DV you could disregard HDR10+ and just settle for the single DV format if you like. Personally, if my setup supported both formats then I'd just run the extra HDMI cable to get everything checked off.

My only dynamic metadata HDR option on my FZ802 is HDR10+, so I have to go the split cable route to get that. Amazon Prime is also a source of HDR10+ content for me, but the selection seems limited (previously tested with external Fire TV to see display info) and the TV has a weird bug where it keeps defaulting to True Cinema with IFC on everytime Prime is launched and an HDR video is played. I find that annoying, so I have resorted to using Prime via. Apple TV 4K, which does not support HDR10+. It's a sacrifice I am happy to make to not have to toggle the picture button everytime I use Prime in HDR.

Noticed a strange thing this week. I have a Harmony remote with a few activities, eg Sky, Movies, Switch, and 3 things connected to the YSP-2700, SkyQ, Vero4K box and Switch. I've recently noticed that if my Switch has been left on and I try and start Sky or Movies (from TV off) then for some reason the YSP doesn't pass anything to the TV, I just get no signal on screen, but do get sound from the YSP. If I turn the Switch off then all is fine?!

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

So as your setup supports DV you could disregard HDR10+ and just settle for the single DV format if you like. Personally, if my setup supported both formats then I'd just run the extra HDMI cable to get everything checked off.
I currently have an Apple TV 4K which, as you said, is DV and a Sony UBP-X500 which is HDR10 only (so both are supported by the YSP-2700). However, I am considering a Panasonic DP-UB450 which is both DV and HDR10+. Unfortunately I have read about sync issues when splitting the signal.

I have opened a support case with Yamaha asking is they can investigate adding HDR10+ pass-through support. Worth a punt.

I currently have an Apple TV 4K which, as you said, is DV and a Sony UBP-X500 which is HDR10 only (so both are supported by the YSP-2700). However, I am considering a Panasonic DP-UB450 which is both DV and HDR10+. Unfortunately I have read about sync issues when splitting the signal.

I have opened a support case with Yamaha asking is they can investigate adding HDR10+ pass-through support. Worth a punt.
I've been using the UB420 and YSP2700 for a year and not encountered any sync issues thus far.

The only audio issues I have encountered are regarding HDMI ARC, and to a lesser extent Optical, with passing through FZ802 TV app audio in 5.1. I've ended up with an Apple TV 4K for app duties to resolve this issue.

I actually have Apple TV 4K straight to the TV and it passes through to the YSP2700. I like this setup as it means I can conveniently leave the FZ802 TV's Game mode permanently on for the YSP2700, where the 3x HDMI consist of Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and UB420 AUDIO-ONLY.

Surprisingly HDMI audio passes through perfectly fine, the audio issues seem to be limited to the TV apps when passing through 5.1, rather than Stereo.

Yamaha got back to me pretty quickly. They said that none of their soundbars or A/V receivers currently support HDR10+. They don’t know if an update would be possible or if any of the models will be getting such an update. But the suggestion has been passed onto the relevant teams.

Yamaha have fallen behind in the soundbar market, they used to be market leaders, but haven't put out a flagship model in several years now, which is disappointing.

I am thinking of getting a YSP2700. It will be my first soundbar. I have a new Panasonic 55" GZ950 along with Sky Q and Blu-ray player.
In some of the older reviews they say it is difficult to set up the surround sound function.
We have our settee where we sit in a bay window recess directly opposite the fire the TV is to one side of the fire at an angle so we see straight on. Will the 2700 be able to cope with this layout of the room?
In looking at other sounders on the market I have been worrying whether I need Dolby Atmos or a 3.1 system or DTS:X virtual, etc, is the lack of these a concern to existing users.
I have been attracted to the 2700 because of the price and I also have full Yamaha hifi set up in another room
Thanks for any replies

I have a YSP-2700 and I’m happy with it but it is a little bit out of date now. That said, I’m struggling to see a replacement with its hdmi and audio connectivity. I haven’t seen anything yet that enthuses me to upgrade.
i couldn’t see whether your tv has eARC but if I was buying a new soundbar it would have to have it.
The main deficiency is that the sub-woofer also doubles as a source of mid-range sound, you cannot use the soundbar without it.
if the automatic setup has problems with the room shape you can set it up manually.
i’m thinking that the quality of your tv probably deserves something a little better. That said, it would not be a disastrous choice if price was a major factor.

I almost bought the 2700 when PT had it at £399 to replace my YSP-1600. I prefer the integrated sub to separate but most seem to be wireless subs now. I also don’t like that the new Yamaha soundbars such as BAR 40 or BAR 400 all use DTS Virtual X. My current choice is now Sony HT-ZF9 as it has Dolby Atmos & DTS:X and will passthru HDR10, DV & HLG.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom