Yesterday 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

A lovely film, and no less that what we have come to expect from Curtis. I look forward to watching this with my Beatles-loving parents at Christmas, even if it'll only be in 1080p.

I'm not bothered about cultural appropriation but how hasn't this film been slammed by the people obsessed by these things? Does it only go one way?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching it. I've heard only good things about it.

I didn't have big expectations, but Yesterday was the most "refreshing" comedy i've seen this year.
Additionally liked it even better than other musical movies like Bohemian Rhapsody or Rocketman.

It's really worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet. :)

I'm not bothered about cultural appropriation but how hasn't this film been slammed by the people obsessed by these things? Does it only go one way?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching it. I've heard only good things about it.
I've not seen the film either but judging by the trailer / reviews I'm pretty sure the main character is British, so the Beatles and British pop music in general is his culture. He just happens to be of Indian descent.

I've not seen the film either but judging by the trailer / reviews I'm pretty sure the main character is British, so the Beatles and British pop music in general is his culture. He just happens to be of Indian descent.
Agreed - The main character, played well by Himesh Patel, is British of Indian descent (shoutout to Sanjeev Bhaskar and Meera Syal, great as his parents) so there should be no worries about cultural appropriation. Besides that, he's playing a fictional character created specifically for the film, not an existing character who has been "appropriated" for the purposes of the production such as BBC's recent version of Les Misérables.

As to the film itself - if you like Richard Curtis and/or the Beatles music you'll enjoy it. If you think Love Actually is a nauseating piece of saccharine middle-class tripe you'll hate it. Lily James is wasted, and as for that ending.........

I found the lead and the film pretty underwhelming. A far too failed attempt at even being twee enough to be twee.
Suddenly I hear The Clash in mind...

Love Actually is in my Top 5 all-time favourites so I'm going out today to get this to watch with guests coming over on the weekend.

Excellent movie and a brilliant excuse to 'escape' for a couple of hours.
guy's it's a 'fun' movie. Can't it just be be left at that ?

Excellent movie and a brilliant excuse to 'escape' for a couple of hours.
guy's it's a 'fun' movie. Can't it just be be left at that ?
I understand why people enjoy this kind of film, it's just not for me. The world would be a pretty boring place if we are liked the same thing. :)

Loved this film, great premise, brilliant interpretations of the songs and a real feelgood factor.

One bit astounded me
I was convinced the Lennon bit was CGI trickery, I was amazed when I found out who it was.

Loved this film, great premise, brilliant interpretations of the songs and a real feelgood factor.

One bit astounded me
I was convinced the Lennon bit was CGI trickery, I was amazed when I found out who it was.
I actually got quite emotional at that bit, which caught me off guard..if anything, this film reminded how good the Beatles were/are, and how they would be missed, if they never existed

Has anyone actually seen this at the SRP of £19.99, or is that a typo? Seems to be £24.99 everywhere online.

Has anyone actually seen this at the SRP of £19.99, or is that a typo? Seems to be £24.99 everywhere online.
I think this type of film will drop in price or be in two for one deals shortly. But no..£24.99 everywhere

Quite an enjoyable one off movie, a rental only for me as I have no desire to watch it again.

One bit astounded me

Just looked it up on imdb and agree.

I was ready to warm to this film, but I couldn't make it through. Ed Sheeran is appalling in it. It's really awkward when he's on screen as the acting is so bad. The film's biggest flaw though, is the fact the lead guy cannot sing. Not even slightly.

Just watched this - I have to say, regardless what you think of the film, this is the best looking 4K discs I've seen to date, abolutely stunning !!

We watched this last night. Really, really fun. And I agree with Steve, the use of Atmos throughout, but especially on the songs, was excellent.
The part where John Lennon appears had SWMBO actually catch a breath, & finding out that he was played by a favourite Actor of hers added to it
Working in the Live Music Business, the generic (& totally incorrect) way they treated lots of the Live bits usually drives me nuts, but for once I could live with it as the rest was such fun.
I liked the fact that that recording Studio actually exists by a busy Railway line, & the script was slightly altered to fit it in. Who in their right mind would put one there? :rotfl:
It shows that mixing it up a bit CAN work - Rom-Com writer with a Director capable of Trainspotting was a good balanced mix. As Patel was in Tenet as well, we realised that we actually saw him in something three nights in a row, after probably never before. :)
An 8/10 from us

Has anyone compared the Blu-ray and 4K UHD versions?

I can get the BR locally for £5 and the UHD is £16, so wondering if it’s worth the difference (or I can wait and get the UHD when it’s sub-£10)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom