YPAO setup help

lowrider007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, just setting up my RX-V685,

Using a tripod at my ear level listening position in my very small lounge I ran the YPAO setup, it set my front L&R to +5.5db, C to +5db, and L&R rear to +5.5db and 6.5db, my Sub at -10db.

I left it for a couple of days then I read online that the Sub set to -10db wasn't good, I presumed this was because my SUB volume was set too high so I re-ran the YPAO setup with the SUB set at 12 o'clock, this time though it set the sub to -6.5, ok good I thought, but then it set all the other speakers to near 0db, I re-ran the test a few more times and same result?

The only difference is that during the first test me and my GF was in the room, her on the sofa and me on the floor, could that of effected the first test? I can't find any information anywhere that says whether your supposed to leave the room during the YPAO setup, and if that has any impact on the results?

Whats annoying is that after the initial setup I kind of got used to the sound, now with the setup redone and the speakers set to 0db feel that I have lost some headroom and have to crank for the volume more, especially to hear the dialogue.

Any advice? Is 0db normal in a 'tiny' lounge?

What was the sub set at the first time round?

Ideally you normally stay at 11 o clock and try it.

People in the room and certainly sitting in or close to the MLP will have an effect on the measurements. The room should be as quiet as possible and with the only person in the room standing well behind the mic reading position.

What was the sub set at the first time round?

Ideally you normally stay at 11 o clock and try it.

First time around I had it quite high, around 3 o'clock, I'll redo at 11 o'clock in the morning as it's quite late here now.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciate, I have a few questions regarding my amp,

1) Firstly does this look ok?

YPAO_1.jpg
YPAO_2.jpg
YPAO_3.jpg

2) I have Sur Decode set to auto, correct?

3) I have noticed that YPAO VOL appears on my amp display during Netlfix movies etc but disapears on normal TV, is that normal?

4) I have a Samsung UE55KU6000K, in the TV's Audio settings I have the following,

HDMI Audio Format: Bitstream/PCM

Audio Format PCM/Dolby Digital/DTS(Greyed out)/DTS Neo 2:5

What settings do I use?

Thanks

Set all your speakers to small. It's nothing to do with the actual physical size of the speaker. You want the speakers' crossovers to be 80hz for the fronts as this is the recommended crossover for mixing for THX and is the film industry standard and recommended for surround sound systems.

All audio inputs should be set as Bitstream.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom