Question Zappiti Mini 4K HDR: Film is shown in Explorer but doesn't appear in Video categories or search

Hannay11

Standard Member
Reaction score
As a relatively new - and satisfied - Zappiti user I have been working my way through things when faced by something I wasn't initially familiar with, and have mostly worked out what I wanted/needed as something came along.

I can't figure a recent issue out however, and would appreciate any pointers ...

I have added a film to the ext HD, and Zappiti sees it fine in Explorer and plays from there no problem.

It hasn't been picked up in Video however, doesn't appear in All, Recent, alpha-groups or in any search whether under whole-name or using each word as a keyword ... it hasn't figured in the Identifying step/phase, it doesn't appear on a residual to-be-identified list.

I have deleted and re-added twice, still the same.

The file is not contentious: .mkv and 1.4GB .. and anyway it plays fine when accessed via Explorer

So I'm assuming it is simply that Video can't or hasn't executed some function to enable it to have picked up the new addition. But from here I'm in entirely new territory, and lost for a next step.

Is there a force-search or force-rebuild function somewhere? Or is something else advised?

I actually think however that I am missing something blindingly obvious now, and if someone can point that out it will be well worth the embarrassment!

Thanks for any guidance/advice.

Thanks!

I'll run that when I am back this afternoon and hopefully that will pick up the new addition.

Rescanning 3500+ just to pick up 1 seems a little strong and I'd expected a facility to operate on just a nominated single file file, maybe via Explorer: but a fix is a fix, and is welcome.

Maybe a nominated-item scan will be part of some future update ... could be useful on occasion.

Thanks again, appreciated!

A follow-up post for the benefit of someone maybe having the same problem and finding this later:

Thanks again to mcspongy for the guidance to something I didn't know.

Running the rescan worked seamlessly and quickly (3,566 films, just left it running and it had finished when I looked-back after 40 mins to see how far it was getting ... so less than that).

It didn't however fix my *problem* of an added film showing in Explorer and being playable from there, but not being added in Video to its library. It was still not there, still didn't appear on a search.

But that appeared to be entirely against logic, so accepting that as correct I started from the position that the film HAD been recognised and added, and that there was a valid reason I was not seeing it there.

Top of the list was that it was using another title, meaning also that the Explorer name and the Video/library name didn't have to be the same, that the Explorer name wasn't automatically used even if it was a legitimate name, which I had assumed was the case.

So then I decided I would do a search on actor name and director name to see what that threw up, assuming that the *missing* film would be found hiding in plain sight under some other title.

But quickly before that I looked it up on IMDB, and whilst *my* title brought it right up, that was its "also known-as" title!

So it was found easily under the main title given in IMDB, which I had never heard of, and embarrassingly a simple title-confirmation check would have sorted it in seconds ...

So bear that in mind and just check even if you think you are using the only/correct film-name, okay?

I hope this stops someone else scratching their head at having a confirmed and playable film apparently resisting regular library-addition!

In a similar sort of vein another one to look out for is the the title “Speed”, the Bullock/Reeves movie. MakeMKV rips DVD movies to a name such as Title00 etc... and if you don’t rename the file properly the Zappiti scraper for some reason thinks that it is the film Speed. I’ve found numerous “lost” movies in my poster wall under that title and had to rename and rescrape to fix.

Thanks for the extra pointer mtenga.

It actually has meaning for me right now, because whilst checking back and forth a few times trying to resolve the above issue I spotted a couple of films that had duplicate entries on the library wall.

Whilst I don't believe that I have any duplicate files I had assumed that the odd one could well have slipped through *because Zappiti has picked them up*. I didn't want to head off on a tangent just then and check through to delete them, but put it on my next-to-do list to manually check the couple I had made a note of and then if valid just use "Remove Duplicates" to catch any others.

I had also thought however to check on the storage drive, where I would expect any exact duplicates to have been flagged by Windows already when adding it there - so worth a look.

Now however I will go through and check any other instances of duplicated covers if there are any, in case of what you have described ... or some other random cause.

If I discover another "Speed" I'll add it here.

One further thing to keep an eye on is French posters. Zappiti is French and a number of posters added to their database, which your poster wall draws from, will be French. So I have the movie William the Conqueror correctly listed under the “W” section of my wall but the poster shown is for “Guillaume”. You can usually easily change these French posters to English via the menu.

I'd spotted a few like that when originally setting up - not many, but irritating enough - and went through making changes that same way though without knowing the (now-obvious!) reason.

I think there's only been an odd one or two since then, and anyway they are easy to notice via the "Recent" folder if I haven't already caught it.

Interesting, and thanks.

Every Time I start my Zappiti Mini 4K, I get this message and when I click "OK", it goes away and everything works fine.

Is there any way to get rid of it short of going back to the previous firmware? It is just a bogus message.

I have the latest firmware and the output is set to 1080P/60.
I also did a factory reset but it didn't help.
1578515899474.png

To pick up on an old thread, I am having a similar problem to the original poster. Whilst I can see and play all the files from my NAS using the Zappiti Explorer, its videowall cataloguing system only sees about a quarter of them, with even fewer identified.
I’ve given it multiple scanning passes, a factory reset, ensured all software and firmware is the latest, even created different collection to see if I’d get different results, but all to no avail.
I can also easily access the files from a Popcorn Hour A-500 that I am trying to transition away from, as well from within Win10. So I’m stumped. How can I get the Zappiti to see the other files that are all mkvs within the same folder (either filename.mkv or filename (year).mkv). Anyone have any ideas as to what I might be missing?

Last edited:
Start again. Delete the .zappiti file which will be in each of your drives. Ideally rename the shares and then add and reindex. Sounds like something has got corrupted somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, there are no .zappiti files, not even hidden, in any of the shares. That might be down to a difference between choosing the Zappiti Cloud Server as opposed to using their PC based one. Just guessing.
I'll drop Zappiti support an email and see what they come back with.

That's interesting, I thought the .Zappiti configuration file was created regardless of the type of server you use. Please let me know what they say, I'd be interested to hear their solution.

another bump
having the same issues I have a few movies which show in, and play from, explorer but never show up in Zappiti Video
in trying to resolve things I have now just accidentally deleted a MKV file on one of my external hard drives with no way to recover it
so think I will just have to suck it up and play the unscraped films from explorer

so think I will just have to suck it up and play the unscraped films from explorer
That should never be a solution. Have you tried all I suggested above? If so, mail Zappiti and see if they can help.

That should never be a solution. Have you tried all I suggested above? If so, mail Zappiti and see if they can help.
Thanks for the reply
Like the OP I cant see a .Zappiti file on my drive ?
one of my drives has folders with the Movie name and only contains the MKV file and works fine
while my second drive has folders with the Movie name + a few other files most show on Zappiti Video while some don't
I will have another go tonight

not easy to find but digging deeper into Explorer i did find .Zappiti files at the top of each folder
I deleted some folders and re added them I am still not getting all movies showing in Zappiti Video

I have added a screenshot and would appreciate any thoughts on how things look
I notice some show Host :ZappitiHDR
while others show Host: 192.168.1.201
is this normal?
2020-02-16 (1).png

Last edited:
It’s not unusual I’ve got a mix of both and mine all work fine now.

I’ve had your problems in the past and deleted all of the .zappiti files, renamed the offending shares, reset the machine and added the shares back. The index thereafter does not take long since they’ve all been indexed before. Half an hours work but paid dividends for me.

It wouldn't open the .Zappiti files but I didn't try and delete them so will try that
forgive me but I am unfamiliar with what the term shares actually means?

Shares are the folders. You call yours 4K; Blu-ray rips; Atmos demo clips etc... You could rename the troubled ones.

The .zappiti file is a key configuration files and should be deleted if somehow corrupted. New ones will be created when you add again.

Cheers thanks for clearing that up for me :thumbsup:
now I just need to hunt down those .Zappiti files again

Cheers thanks for clearing that up for me :thumbsup:
now I just need to hunt down those .Zappiti files again
If you are doing this on your PC they should be the first file in the folder. If you have four shares on a single drive, for example, it might only appear in one of the folders. Can’t remember now it’s been so long. Just check them all.

I'm using the Zappiti Video app on my laptop and cant find the .Zappiti files using that
I only found them by using Zappiti explorer on my Zappiti HDR machine
I haven't been able to access Zappiti Explorer on my laptop

I don’t think they are hidden so should be viewable on your laptop using Windows Explorer or Mac equivalent. No need to bother with any Zappiti app, just go into the folders directly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom