Zappiti One SE 4K HDR Media Player Review & Comments

I bought a One SE last week and can I ask a couple of really stupid question?

I bought a WD Blue HDD to go into my One SE. What is it for? At the moment I am streaming files from my PC which seems to be work well. Trying to figure out what I would use the HDD for.....

Also ripping UHD disks so I can watch them on them on the Zappiti. Is the only way to do that to rip them onto my PC and stream them directly? Just looked into what I would need to do that and it looks like a Blu Ray writer drive and caddy for that to go into, another £160 ...……. All starting to add up a little!

Impressed with what I have seen so far though, really impressive that it can pick up on my PC files and find cover art, music etc. Looks very professional!

Thanks!

Some people prefer to host their hard drives inside the unit itself, some prefer NAS/PC/Mac, some prefer USB attachment to the unit. Just a matter of personal choice but if you do not intend to host in the unit then the Zap Mini would have been fine.

I use three optical drives from Asus, two which are UHD capable. They are installed internally in my PC and none cost more than 70. After you’ve ripped on a PC, files can be transferred over the network to any drive within or attached to the Zappiti.

Some people prefer to host their hard drives inside the unit itself, some prefer NAS/PC/Mac, some prefer USB attachment to the unit. Just a matter of personal choice but if you do not intend to host in the unit then the Zap Mini would have been fine.

I use three optical drives from Asus, two which are UHD capable. They are installed internally in my PC and none cost more than 70. After you’ve ripped on a PC, files can be transferred over the network to any drive within or attached to the Zappiti.

Thanks for the response, most appreciated!

It seems like I may have wasted £160 on a HDD I dont need then, that’ll teach me to get carried away buying new stuff without doing my research first......!! Might put my UHD rips on the internal drive so it’s not a total waste!

Was I right about having to buy a UHD compatible disk writer and rip all my disks onto my PC? Also what software do you use?

Thanks!

I use MakeMKV. It explains about optical drives on there and what you need to do to make them UHD compatible. It's easy. Some prefer AnyDVD and there is other software.

You can't rip directly in the One SE but Zappiti has an expensive NAS solution which some use and that rips.

I use MakeMKV. It explains about optical drives on there and what you need to do to make them UHD compatible. It's easy. Some prefer AnyDVD and there is other software.

You can't rip directly in the One SE but Zappiti has an expensive NAS solution which some use and that rips.

thanks again!

on the Zappiti can poster wall be updated manually
Yes you can change the posters whatever server you are using and there is usually a wide selection to choose from within the Zappiti database. If you are using a local server such as PC then you can upload your own photos, but not from the cloud server.

Hi I am experiencing this issue.

“Be aware that 24.000p video files are converted in 23.976p when using some displays that are not fully compatible with this specific cinema frequency. In fact, the 24.000 Hz is not part of video rules and specifications (only supported in professional video and motion picture industry). Only the 23.976Hz is part of the video rules and specifications. So this is why some displays are not compatible with this frequency. To force 24.000 Hz output on 24.000p sources, please activate the Source Direct option in "MyApps / Service / Source Direct". But in this case, please make sure that your display is fully compatible with 24.000 Hz before to display 24.000p files. In case of convertion, the 24.000p files can present some judder effects every several minutes (frame drop) to compensate the missing frames of the framerate.”
I have an LG OLED55C6 TV, what are the best settings on either the tv or Zappiti to prevent this? (Display is set to auto and source direct activated)

Last edited:
Hi I am experiencing this issue.

“Be aware that 24.000p video files are converted in 23.976p when using some displays that are not fully compatible with this specific cinema frequency. In fact, the 24.000 Hz is not part of video rules and specifications (only supported in professional video and motion picture industry). Only the 23.976Hz is part of the video rules and specifications. So this is why some displays are not compatible with this frequency. To force 24.000 Hz output on 24.000p sources, please activate the Source Direct option in "MyApps / Service / Source Direct". But in this case, please make sure that your display is fully compatible with 24.000 Hz before to display 24.000p files. In case of convertion, the 24.000p files can present some judder effects every several minutes (frame drop) to compensate the missing frames of the framerate.”
I have an LG OLED55C6 TV, what are the best settings on either the tv or Zappiti to prevent this? (Display is set to auto and source direct activated)

Just leave as is unless you notice any frame skipping.
If you do, report back here

Zappiti support is also very good as well.

I am noticing frame skipping, can anyone help with settings?
(I have emailed Zappiti support and am waiting for their reply)

Last edited:
I had the same issue & tried what Zappiti suggested, made no difference to my set up i'm afraid & hence returned it
Im hoping the next gen don't have this issue as i really liked the Zappiti.
Go for zidoo absolutely no problems

Go for zidoo absolutely no problems
Gonna see what the next gen bring, there's no point buying one now as the new ones will have newer chips.
Hopefully something soon, but not in any rush as want to make sure my next purchase is the right one.

Zappiti have responded suggesting I try this out

Will give it a go tonight.
I had the same issue & tried what Zappiti suggested, made no difference to my set up i'm afraid & hence returned it
Im hoping the next gen don't have this issue as i really liked the Zappiti.

I’ve probably watched around 70 odd films since getting the zappiti.

I have had this issue in 4 films, King along, True Romance, lethal Weapon and an episode of band of brothers. Each time it was the mkv rip and not the player. As soon as I rip ISO they play fine.

I don’t actually know what’s causing it, but it seems something to do with the audio sync not matching the film properly, if you were to rip all of the audio in the disc, it would probably stop it.

The zappiti infrastructure is superb though, I absolutely love it, especially with the nasrip, it’s much quicker this way also.

The new zappiti will be out by the end of the year with the new chips I’ve been told.

Anyone experienced problems with older movies with LPCM?

I copied Dirty Dancing for the Mrs and the MKV file plays perfectly on my PC. However when I play the file on my Zappiti I get a ‘No Video Information’ message at the start and then there is no audio.

It has a 7.1 LPCM audio track and it’s the only file I have in that format and the only one that gives the player problems...it must have something to do with it.

Anyone else experience this?

Anyone experienced problems with older movies with LPCM?

I copied Dirty Dancing for the Mrs and the MKV file plays perfectly on my PC. However when I play the file on my Zappiti I get a ‘No Video Information’ message at the start and then there is no audio.

It has a 7.1 LPCM audio track and it’s the only file I have in that format and the only one that gives the player problems...it must have something to do with it.

Anyone else experience this?
Whilst it was included in the specs from launch, the player has never been able to handle more than 2 channel LPCM ( nor likely ever will based on the response i got from Zap support many months ago). Pity as my old Dune players play them fine.

If you use makeMKV though you can convert to FLAC when ripping IIRC so you can workaround.

It is my first post here as I only recived player yesterday. Very nice device!
Two things I would ask from experts.
First: every time I try to watch HDR/4K movie from NAS it asks to turn TV on 2160p 23,976. Why? I'm sure that my TV (LG oled 65E9PLA) is already on the highest resolution. Is the point in player menu?
Second: I use in copying movies from NAS on to palyer internal HDD FileZilla help. Too slow action! What is the fastest way to do this?

Last edited:
I have been on the fence for a long time and I am getting very tempted with this player but as I have Panasonic OLED (55GZ950) which ultimately supports HDR10+ & Dolby Vision I have a question in this respect.

It is my understanding that the Zappiti player still will extract the core HDR10 from any HDR10+ & DV material, is this correct (i.e. not all will be lost by player not supporting the very latest formats)?

Also, has anyone done any direct comparisons between playing HDR10+ and/or DV content on Zappiti and a device that support the formats (like a BD player). How much a real world difference is there?

Ta

Is there a way to remove the ‘mkv’ banner that appears on some of the cover art? I’m pretty sure it’s something the player is doing rather than actually being part of the art that it assigns.

Is there a way to remove the ‘mkv’ banner that appears on some of the cover art? I’m pretty sure it’s something the player is doing rather than actually being part of the art that it assigns.
Yes, untick "Show Topcover" in settings.

It is my first post here as I only recived player yesterday. Very nice device!
Two things I would ask from experts.
First: every time I try to watch HDR/4K movie from NAS it asks to turn TV on 2160p 23,976. Why? I'm sure that my TV (LG oled 65E9PLA) is already on the highest resolution. Is the point in player menu?
Second: I use in copying movies from NAS on to palyer internal HDD FileZilla help. Too slow action! What is the fastest way to do this?
Self-answering. Sorry, things are OK now.

Next question.....

I’m sure I read on here that a few people have noticed the occasional stutter / slow down of frames. Well I’ve watched a few movies now and noticed it for the first time today when watching Back to the Future. It’s not the end of the world but is there any setting that can remove or help with this?

Thanks.

Ok I’ve done a bit more digging and it’s to do with the video codec used. In my case the Back to the Future disc uses the VC-1 codec and the stuttering is a known issue with this codec and the Zappiti players. It’s mentioned in the notes for the latest firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom