Zappiti One SE 4K HDR Media Player Review & Comments

Great review, and it looks like a nice product. Particularly like the fact it has HDMI audio out, in addition to a normal HDMI.

One thing stood out however, which is the lack of HDR format compatibility. How important is it to have Dolby Vision/HDR10+?

Have you come across much content that uses these formats? Are we likely to see more content transition to the dynamic HDR formats in the future?

One thing stood out however, which is the lack of HDR format compatibility. How important is it to have Dolby Vision/HDR10+?
It depends lol. If you have a avereage TV (which is the majority) then Dolby Vision is the way you will get the best and most accurate picture quality from DV discs and streams. If you have an OLED then this is also important for HDR because of their limited nit range.
Have you come across much content that uses these formats? Are we likely to see more content transition to the dynamic HDR formats in the future?
More and more content is being released in the DV format for discs and Netflix in particular. The real answer though is for the most part you don't "need" Dolby Vision, but I bought my box specifically because it "does" support Dolby Vision and for a high end, expensive box I would say this is a bad look.

This is a nice bit of kit. If this version at this price point was around a few months back, it would have been in consideration but I'm sure that I would have rejected it because it doesn't give me much above a decent Android box and Kodi.
Overall this box has some features I wish my box did, mainly the library scan. So I use Kodi as my library then watch the Dolby Vision content on my box.
The fact that it is missing Dolby Vision is for a higher end box a let down. Also it only supports the SMB network protocol not NFS. SMB is fine and will work fine for most people but NFS is more efficient and is generally the protocol of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for he review Steve. Does this model have the direct output setting?

Thanks for the review, been thinking about getting one of these for a while.

Is it possible to set the player to output the original frame rate and resolution for each piece of content?

Is the MagicPixel stuff able to be turned off, or are you stuck with it? Does it only affect upscaled content, or all content?

Both those questions are because I'd prefer to do all scaling and processing externally in the Lumagen Radiance Pro rather than being forced to use something baked-in.

@Steve Withers , do you know if it allows the following :

a) Scan/Index of UHD/BD/ISOs, or does it only work with individual movie/episode files
b) Does it provide full menu support for ISO playback
c) Assuming a) does it allow manual mapping of the library content to play back the specific ISO containing the content (Just to get the menu up would do)

I have reached a level of peace with my Dune 4K Pro, particularly as it does a & b, which hardly anyone does, but it doesn’t do c).

@Steve Withers are there settings associated with the magicpixel feature? If so, where are they found? How does the upscaling compare to your reference display/projector?

Hi Steve I just purchased the Zappita Pro 4K HDR yesterday and spent most of the evening setting it all up and trying out some movies.
Will you be doing a review of the Pro model because my time with this bad boy and a few cold Stella's last night was awesome.
This is a serious bit of kit loving it despite no DV option.

a) Scan/Index of UHD/BD/ISOs, or does it only work with individual movie/episode files
c) Assuming a) does it allow manual mapping of the library content to play back the specific ISO containing the content (Just to get the menu up would do)

I have reached a level of peace with my Dune 4K Pro, particularly as it does a & b, which hardly anyone does, but it doesn’t do c).
*deleted*
Answered below.

a) It does all of them
b) yes
c) you would get a prompt to ask if you want to play the menu or just the movie itself

Interesting but very expensive imo, vero 4k+ still does the job for me!

Lack of NFS is big minus.

Hi Steve I just purchased the Zappita Pro 4K HDR yesterday and spent most of the evening setting it all up and trying out some movies.
Will you be doing a review of the Pro model because my time with this bad boy and a few cold Stella's last night was awesome.
This is a serious bit of kit loving it despite no DV option.
I'm not sure about reviewing the Pro – media players were really Mark's thing, and I only ended up reviewing this because he couldn't in the end.

For a unit of this price calibre Dolby Vision is a must have I have 4K mini and it is a great player which does everything other than dv and hdr10, so not much of a real upgrade for me

It depends lol. If you have a avereage TV (which is the majority) then Dolby Vision is the way you will get the best and most accurate picture quality from DV discs and streams. If you have an OLED then this is also important for HDR because of their limited nit range.

Ive got a B8, which, from memory, supports DV.

If the box doesn’t support DV, but the content is in DV format, do you just get shown SDR?

Ive got a B8, which, from memory, supports DV.

If the box doesn’t support DV, but the content is in DV format, do you just get shown SDR?
No because HDR content is always HDR whether Dolby Vision is layered on top of it or not.

Is there any media players out there that support Dolby Vision?

It’s a big plus having full menu support for no other reason than forced subtitles work properly every time which in my experience is very hit and miss playing back movie only files.Excellent to have an audio out hdmi for people with slightly older receivers.None of these boxes however good can playback Dolby vision (legally)until Dolby themselves give them licence to do so.As far as I can tell at this price this player ticks all the important boxes.

c) you would get a prompt to ask if you want to play the menu or just the movie itself

So it knows what track in the iso file to play for each episode, without having to manually map it?

Is there any media players out there that support Dolby Vision?
As far as I know the Nvidia Shield tv supports Dolby vision, but lacks quite a few features of this box. However read up on it as you can attach an external drive and use something like Kodi, for a similar experience

As far as I know the Nvidia Shield tv supports Dolby vision, but lacks quite a few features of this box. However read up on it as you can attach an external drive and use something like Kodi, for a similar experience
Not exactly. The Shield supports Dolby Vision from streaming and not much else. So if you play your own DV sources from Kodi (for example) you don't get DV. That's why I ended buying yet another box. Shield with Kodi is my (over powered) library catalog the clone is for playing back DV content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom