Captain Marvel 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Totally agree with the review... Suffice to say that the movie gains a +1 in my house as I have 3 young girls and, whilst I didn't expect it, there was most definitely a glint in their eyes to see such a powerful woman on screen who has a relatable and fully fleshed out personality.

Totally agree with the review... Suffice to say that the movie gains a +1 in my house as I have 3 young girls and, whilst I didn't expect it, there was most definitely a glint in their eyes to see such a powerful woman on screen who has a relatable and fully fleshed out personality.
Yup, this movie made the girls in my house very happy so gets a +1 from me too.

After having watched multiple times in the cinema and now at home... this might just be my favourite Marvel standalone film. Great casting (as we expect I guess but still worth mentioning) with some lovely subtle moments sprinkled throughout, solid script and a pretty damn good mix of action and drama all help but it's the third act that really makes it. Everything from Carol getting her traditional suit on is a delight and genuinely can't wait to see more of her ASAP.

Better still my one real complaint has been totally addressed by the 4k release. This is a film that verges on being too dark at times. It's nowhere near as bad as, say, Solo but a lot of the choices made presented.... shall we say challenges for modern multiplexes. Think I ended up going to 5 different screenings of this from Superscreen to Screen X and normal 2D shows and they all struggled at times, especially the initial Starforce mission and the dust-shrouded flashbacks to Carol getting shot. The UHD version (at least on an OLED) doesn't just fix the problem it's a big step up all round. The space stuff in particular is stunning and the effects work on Captain Marvel are spectacularly good. Making human figures fly convincingly seems to be one of the big challenges for effects houses, especially if there's no cape or other flowing fabric involved but this works perfectly.

Have only had time to sample a few scenes since purchase, the special effects do really pop with this one. Hopefully when I sit and watch it all the way through it won't start to feel a bit overcooked.

As for the film, seen it a couple of times now, still think it's a bit underwhelming with what had been released just prior to it. Couple of forced scenes that still make me cringe and would have been best left in an actual 90s superhero movie -Bening dancing to Nirvana, like watching your parents dancing at a wedding. Same goes for the suit aesthetic change, that's like some cheap smart LED lighting system from Ebay... o_O

Still my eldest daughter loved it and I'll be happy to watch it with her, no doubt numerous times.

Thanks Simon. Was a bit underwhelmed by this at the local cinema, thought the opening space scenes were far too dark, but sounds like this release has addressed those issues.

Disney and incredible bass? Never ever did I expect to read that in the same sentence!!! :D

Watched this over the weekend; One of the weaker MCU entries for me but was impressed with the 5.1 mix (not upgrated to Atmos yet!) and picture quality :)

Thanks for the Review Simon. Was travelling on Business when this was on the local Screens, so eager to watch it now it is out in 4K.

Interestingly, although the 4K Dolby Atmos version is now out, iTunes USA have not yet updated their HD version. I prefer to watch the 4K disk, but surprised they weren't on it.

I agree but the funny thing is that some women reportedly find her totally un-relatable.

...Disney and incredible bass? Never ever did I expect to read that in the same sentence!!! :D
I've had this for a few weeks now but never got around to watching it, especially as I saw the film twice at the cinema (comparing cinema sound systems). It didn't seem to have Aquaman levels of LFE but there were some good effects. So I'm curious now to hear this incredible bass.

...The space stuff in particular is stunning and the effects work on Captain Marvel are spectacularly good. Making human figures fly convincingly seems to be one of the big challenges for effects houses, especially if there's no cape or other flowing fabric involved but this works perfectly.
OK now I'm really curious.

We (us 50 something’s and a 12 year old nephew) very much enjoyed.

Have to admit a bias though as long been a fan of Kevin Smith (and “that” film) and we all like cats.

Oh and Ben Mendelssohn walked past me on set once!

Captain Miscast sounds more apt lol

7 out of 10 for the movie is awfully generous. I wouldn't rate it higher than 5 myself. It's not terrible; the second act is quite watchable, and Samuel L Jackson is always good in anything; but Brie Larson isn't a very engaging heroine - she's too wooden - the plot feels like something you've seen 20 times already, and the third act, frankly, reminds me of that line in Macbeth: "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I'm all in favour of films with strong female leads, but this simply isn't a particularly good film, regardless of its girl-power pretensions. It's not as bad as Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World, but it comes close.

7 out of 10 for the movie is awfully generous. I wouldn't rate it higher than 5 myself. It's not terrible; the second act is quite watchable, and Samuel L Jackson is always good in anything; but Brie Larson isn't a very engaging heroine - she's too wooden - the plot feels like something you've seen 20 times already, and the third act, frankly, reminds me of that line in Macbeth: "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I'm all in favour of films with strong female leads, but this simply isn't a particularly good film, regardless of its girl-power pretensions. It's not as bad as Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World, but it comes close.

I agree. I thought it was poor. No idea who Captain Marvel was, which might explain why Brie was not engaged with her character. She seemed lost. A lot like Harrison Ford mumbling his way through Blade Runner - he didn't know who he was playing.

Agree with the review and first few posts, I thought it was good fun and looked and sounded great.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it with that buddie road movie approach and feel between Larson n big Sam . Thought Brie played the straight man role pretty well spot on bouncing off Sam J wise cracks . Looked gorgeous and sounded great .

I agree but the funny thing is that some women reportedly find her totally un-relatable.
Yes, my missus didn't like her at all, didn't find her engaging as a character and rolls her eyes with all the girl power / "me-too" stuff of late. Samuel L Jackson was very good and the de-aging tech is really convincing. Was an OK entry for me, so might rent rather than buy this one.

Enjoyed it with that buddie road movie approach and feel between Larson n big Sam . Thought Brie played the straight man role pretty well spot on bouncing off Sam J wise cracks . Looked gorgeous and sounded great .
This was good looking but not great looking at the cinema so obviously HDR doing its magic.

This was good looking but not great looking at the cinema so obviously HDR doing its magic.

Was certainly ( for me ) and up tick on the Atmos front over past Disney MCU UHDs . HDR certainly had an impact on bringing the vibrancy of colours in it .

Yup nice .

Captain Marvel was great and much better than i'd anticipated. Fun super hero adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I must say I’m Marveled out, the whole franchise has become so bland, even when I watched the last avengers movie I’d given up caring without even realising
When all the “dead” returned to fight Thanos........ I just thought, oh yeah I’d forgot about you lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review gonna give it a watch this weekend as a filler havemt watched endgame yet what is it with Disney and their bluray are they not good at mastering surround for their home releases? Always have to turn it up when watching them

Captain Miscast sounds more apt lol
Just curious who would you have put in the role & why would they have been not miscast or even better if you like ...?

When
all the “dead” returned to fight
Thanos........ I just thought, oh yeah I’d forgot about you lot
Is that not a spoiler alert for those that haven't seen Endgame ... what do you think?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom