Fast Five 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
this is the best one in my view as well

but I am a sucker for these films

so as the UHD disks seem pretty good I have ordered the set of 1 to 8 on UHD which can be obtained from the global sales arm of a well known internet retailer for less than £60 inc duty/vat whereas the UK edition set will be £100 apparently

Can we please refer to this as "Fast Five - The one with the safe" - otherwise I find it hard to recall which is which...

Sure:

Fast 1 - The one with the 10 second quarter mile races that take 10 minutes
Fast 2 - The one without Vin Diesel
Fast 3 - The one in Tokyo without anybody
Fast 4 - The one with Vin Diesel and Walker returning on a vendetta
Fast 5 - The one with everybody against The Rock in Rio with the safe
Fast 6 - The one with everybody with The Rock and a ghost, and the eternal runway
Fast 7 - The one with the flying cars against Jason Statham
Fast 8 - The one with the sub with Jason Statham against Charlize Theron

I think you know these films too well Cas

Sure:

Fast 6 - The one with everybody with The Rock and a ghost, and the eternal runway
Fantastic! Maybe I don't even need to watch them now - all is there! :)

Fantastic! Maybe I don't even need to watch them now - all is there! :)

It's mad because it's such an inclusive universe, but it is quite rewarding if you stick with them. Although not the same quality, it really is comparable to the Mission: Impossible franchise.

It reminds me of when I had to persuade a friend who had jumped off the M:i franchise after John Woo turned it into a dovefest, that in order to best experience Fallout, he'd have to watch 3, 4 and 5 beforehand. Sure, that's a much easier sell as they are all great, but the same principle applies to Fast & Furious, you've really got to invest in it and, if you do, when characters you thought were dead suddenly turn up, or characters you've followed for several films suddenly get killed, or villains who killed those characters suddenly turn into allies, crazy as it may be, it actually works. Within this insane world, it's perfectly ok to have a high speed chase involving a tank... or a sub, neither of which were previously in my Top Trumps 'high speed vehicles' set (although perhaps it was incomplete?).

I'm really hoping they go retro with high speed tractors next. My son would love that.

Sure:

This is not exactly a totally persuasive nor convincing indictment to watch any of them without losing the will to live, but you're clearly a fan and I like your enthusiasm!:)

Sure:

Useful and funny but I'm only allowed one response.

Although I previously had no intention of buying any more of this series so "thanks" again!

Since you are a fan, would you say that I could watch Fast 5and then skip to F8 or do I need to watch 6 and 7. My wallet is listening so write quietly.

Also would you say Fast 5 looks better than F8? From what I saw F8 does look amazing!

I do love this film. It's just so gloriously unlikely that it works. It's the cinematic equivalent of setting fire to a bin full of kitchen waste and getting a Masterchef grade soufflé out the other end.

Since you are a fan, would you say that I could watch Fast 5and then skip to F8 or do I need to watch 6 and 7. My wallet is listening so write quietly.

Also would you say Fast 5 looks better than F8? From what I saw F8 does look amazing!

OOOOOHHHH NO, don't do that. If you watch 5 and then skip to 8, it'll be somewhat confusing. Compare with watching Mission: Impossible 1 and skipping to Fallout (or thereabouts).

But to put your wallet at ease, if you want 5 you're going to have to buy the collection (it's not available individually) so you get all 8 anyway so, well, you may as well watch them. And if you get them off Zoom with the discount they're little more than a tenner each, which ain't bad for 4K... (and yes, for different reasons, I'd say 1 and 5 - 8 all look excellent).

I have to say, 6 is a guilty pleasure tie for my favourite. So ludicrously OTT in terms of delivery, but deeply satisfying as a fan nonetheless. And 7 WILL make your eyes well up, which is crazy to think about in an action franchise.

Damn you, I'm going to have to watch them again now, having just watched the first five over the weekend. Damn you.

Thanks for the review Cas,keeping you busy with theses F&F reviews :D

Better than the usual 13/48 hours of binge-watching Netflix!

OOOOOHHHH NO, don't do that. If you watch 5 and then skip to 8, it'll be somewhat confusing. Compare with watching Mission: Impossible 1 and skipping to Fallout (or thereabouts).

But to put your wallet at ease, if you want 5 you're going to have to buy the collection
Do you remember that scene in the Avengers where
Iron Man says "I'm bringing the party to you".
Black Widow then says "I don't see how that's a party"?

Iron Man
"But to put your wallet at ease, if you want 5 you're going to have to buy the collection "
Black Widow "I don't see how that put's my wallet at ease"
Damn you, I'm going to have to watch them again now, having just watched the first five over the weekend. Damn you.
:)

Do you remember that scene in the Avengers where
Iron Man says "I'm bringing the party to you".
Black Widow then says "I don't see how that's a party"?

Iron Man
"But to put your wallet at ease, if you want 5 you're going to have to buy the collection "
Black Widow "I don't see how that put's my wallet at ease"

:)

I see the flaws in that logic.

But it’ll be worth it.

And I’d say wait for a price drop but you’ve only got 2 weeks to get up to date before the most fun blockbuster of the summer arrives.

I see the flaws in that logic.

But it’ll be worth it.

And I’d say wait for a price drop but you’ve only got 2 weeks to get up to date before the most fun blockbuster of the summer arrives.
I did fear for this when I first heard about it, but I have to admit that the trailers do look good.

The cars, the girls, erm........ The cars, the girls. I love this franchise :D

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I’m not buying another ‘fast’ movie until I see the tagline ‘gravity defying cars & Bras’
Russ Meyer's Movies, anyone?
(By the way, I liked especially that you had "cars" in lower case & "Bras" in Upper case, defining which defied gravity the most!) :)

Is this just available as part of a US box set ? I'd ideally like standalone - or failing that a UK box set where Blu Ray and digital code work ? Is this happening at all ? Thanks

But to put your wallet at ease, if you want 5 you're going to have to buy the collection (it's not available individually) so you get all 8 anyway so, well, you may as well watch them. And if you get them off Zoom with the discount they're little more than a tenner each, which ain't bad for 4K... (and yes, for different reasons, I'd say 1 and 5 - 8 all look excellent).

I have to say, 6 is a guilty pleasure tie for my favourite. So ludicrously OTT in terms of delivery, but deeply satisfying as a fan nonetheless. And 7 WILL make your eyes well up, which is crazy to think about in an action franchise.

didnt 6 have sound problems on the UHD im sure i remember reading...?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom