Game of Thrones - The Final Season Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Am in the US at the mo, so got to watch it live last night. 7/10 for me - some good scene setting, but, as you say, it really felt like a waste of an hour when there are so few episodes left

Last edited:
Might be an idea to remind people to use spoiler tags where necessary Cas?

Just watched episode one!

A solid episode, very much like most first eps, lots of stage setting without too many "Oh My God" moments. Quite light in tone mostly, bordering on fun.

Some genuinely heartwarming reunions, Sam giving Jon some big news, and of course... Jon riding a dragon! We all knew it was coming but still a great moment.

Cheers for the review, Cas. It couldn't have been anything massive but a set up. Tyrion may be regretting having shot his dad on the loo as he was good at organizing *hit.
It may be sacrilege to many but I'm not too bothered with it now. Season one remains my favourite and most subsequent seasons have felt like a collection of some really good episodes amongst seasons.

I wouldn't call it naff, pretty much every first episode of a new season has an "establishing" tone to it, laying the foundations.

The episode title was secret until air time. Turns out it is “Winterfell”. Very anticlimactic. It should have been called “Where are the Elephants?” :laugh:.

Or they could have called it 'The Looks' ...

Sansa and Daenerys / Jaime and Bran / Jon and Drogon / Sam and Daenerys / The Hound and Arya / ...

I was going to wait until I could binge the lot but now I may want to see this "look" Cas talks about.

A good episode. Some nice scene setting and foretelling. Great character moments - especially for Sam and Ayra.

Just noticed that IMDB has episodes 4 to 6 all listed as 80 minutes long.

Could be a placeholder I guess but great if we're getting an extra 20 minutes per episode... makes up for there only being six.

Could be a placeholder I guess but great if we're getting an extra 20 minutes per episode... makes up for there only being six.
Also here.

Game of Thrones season 8: what time does episode 1 start in the UK tonight, run times and latest news

How long will each episode be?
  • Episode 1: 54 minutes
  • Episode 2: 58 minutes
  • Episode 3: 60 minutes
  • Episode 4: 78 minutes
  • Episode 5: 80 minutes
  • Episode 6: 80 minutes

The global fantasy phenomenon Game of Thrones finally comes to a close.
Read the review.

Write your own review for Game of Thrones - The Final Season

The review of Season 8 Episode 1 assumes you have seen Season 7 of Game of Thrones, and will inherently contain spoilers of the previous seasons.

**Use Spoiler Tags in this thread**

"T
he show has been an odd beast, dropping core characters like flies across the first few seasons, so much so that it almost became unpredictable"

Did you mean?

"Predictable"

Basically amounts to shorter than the 550 minute seasons 1-6 (each 10 episodes) and around the same length as the 430 minute seventh season (which had 7 episodes).

I think the longer runtime per episode will suit the final season, as it will feel less episodic as everything gets concluded.

"T
he show has been an odd beast, dropping core characters like flies across the first few seasons, so much so that it almost became unpredictable"

Did you mean?

"Predictable"

No, unpredictable. Nobody was safe, at least for the first few seasons. Then the core cast became nigh on untouchable.

No, unpredictable. Nobody was safe, at least for the first few seasons. Then the core cast became nigh on untouchable.
Gotcha. I was thinking GOT kills off that many that it's predictable that main characters die.

I get what you mean.

Not worth getting up at 2am for tbh, I for one was very disappointed, also feel cheated that only 3 episodes are longer than 60mins. Was sure I read somewhere ages ago that all S8 episodes would be longer than 60mins due to the short season length.

THe Thion/Yara storyline was an absolute travesty, should/could have been so much more. Plus wooden acting was far to common place but i guess that could have been down to the director who was clearly off his A game.

Overall 5/10

Pretty much a waste of time apart from Sam's two encounters and the final "look". If you look up the word "awkward", it say's see GoT S08 E01 00:53:29.

God I love and hate this show so much

Absolute nothing episode and so glad I didn’t watch it at 2am!

I predict there will be no “OMG” moments until the final 10/20 mins of episode 4 - which will then feee into the final 2 episodes.

There are so many people left that they can’t all be winners and some are just going to have to die for the sake of it?!

Having binge watched all episodes last year for the first time. You can really tell that the writing drops off a cliff once they go past where the books are up to. They try to make up for it with increased budget (big battles and dragons), but it's nowhere near as good as it was. But now they have the general audience hooked so it doesn't matter.

The show now seems to be more plot driven, rather than character driven.

Also here.

Game of Thrones season 8: what time does episode 1 start in the UK tonight, run times and latest news

How long will each episode be?
  • Episode 1: 54 minutes
  • Episode 2: 58 minutes
  • Episode 3: 60 minutes
  • Episode 4: 78 minutes
  • Episode 5: 80 minutes
  • Episode 6: 80 minutes

These numbers were superceded slightly, Episode 3 is actually 82 minutes long (and rumoured to be the longest battle in TV history).

Game of Thrones season 8 ALL episode lengths revealed by HBO

I think 8/10 is a fair assessment . I just got the feeling that this episode was "rushed" on purpose to get the formalities out of the way. Jamie is now on set and his interactions with Tyrion have always been one of the best on the show in my opinion so I expect things to pick up nicely in subsequent episodes...
Speaking of looks, anyone figured out what's the craic with Drogon!!

He knows John is the true air to the Iron Throne and "Father of Dragons".
Personally I thought it was more of a "Jon, you nasty " ! Kinda look .. ha

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom