Netflix's Close Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score

I watched it this morning, and would say a 7/10 is about spot on. Noomi Rapace gives a solid performance, fully combat ready and a little emotionally broken too. And she absolutely gets stuck into some bad ass fight choreography. There's nothing to rival THAT stairway scene in Atomic Blonde, but this has a good attempt at trying.
The film opens with a terrifically tense pre credits set piece that sets it's stall out from the get go, and despite being followed by a random kaleidoscopic titles sequence (and Kate Bush cover), is nicely paced throughout.
The story was generally pretty predictable in parts, but it was enjoyable nonetheless, and better than the average 'Flix fare. It has a lightly drawn villains, and a hugely annoying supporting lead (deliberately so I guess) in Sophie Nelisse, who I struggled with a little, but I managed to go with it by the film's second act.
If I still decide to catch Glass later, I get the feeling that Close might be the peak of today's moviegoing. Forum members could do A LOT worse than to make this your viewing this Friday evening...

7/10

Thanks for the heads-up Cas. I'll certainly give it a go as I always find Repace engaging, even if some of her choices fall short. But then after Dragon Tattoo, she's got a bit typecast so I don't hold her to the fire.

Thanks for the review Cas,might check it out :)

The only problem i have with Netflix movies,is the lack of any dynamic range on their soundtracks,to me they all sound like,the night mode switching,you get on receivers :thumbsdow

Last edited:
Thanks Cas, big fan of Ms Rapace, I'll definitely check this one out.

OK, saw it. Were I to rate it, I'd go 6/10.
It has that horrid version of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill song at the beginning, that I'd advise people to FF through as it serves no purpose beyond WTF.
The story is simple, done before lots and adds nothing to the genre. Repace is convincing as personal security but her character has moments where you doubt that she'd hold back as much giving another the option draw, like at the beginning, though in others she's more convincingly calculating and so it feels uneven. There are a couple of good fight scenes with Repace, though others felt overly long and unrealistic as if she was being given repeat chances to prevail. Her charge, Zoe, played by Sophie Nelisse does little beyond be annoying except for the odd moment of humanity along the way and coming good at the end in typical fashion. And Indira Varma wasn't used to good effect either, which is a waste.
Having a consistent big bad may've helped as it just feels like a random string of useless and faceless henchmen is all you get.
Overall I'd say it's yet another Netflix film that fails to fill in the blanks and hangs around in scenes that add literally nothing.

Thanks Cas, i enjoyed her other two Netflix movie, even Bright, so will give this a watch tonight.

Hmmm it was OK. Had some good moments but the trailer made it look a lot better that it was.

It was all fairly predictable and downright silly at times. As a top level body guard I felt some of her actions were questionable

the false flags were hoisted up the flag pole so high that it was obvious what was really going on.

It felt like it was all rather rushed as if Vicky Jewson didn’t have confidence in herself, which is not correct as there were some good moments for sure.

I’m a sucker for films/TV shows like this and there have the been great ones so that doesn’t work in the films favor.

Netflix may have some truly top draw TV shows, but their films are mostly lacking. I applaud their hands off approach to directors and their film making, but if they don’t keep any tabs on what is being made it’s a very expensive business model to get in the same park as Hollywood.

enjoyable Netflix fare - agree with the score cas

Watched it last night and agree with the score.

Not stellar but a good solid thriller.

watched it today and thought it was ok. Nothing spectacular and it felt and looked more like a mini series that had been recut into film length. It seemed to have a lot of scenes that made everything grind to a halt when it should have been picking up the pace and giving everything a sense of urgency.
I thought Noomi was decent enough in it but it was all very lightweight, throwaway stuff in the end. OK for a week night bit of filler though

I like Noomi Rapace a lot but was disappointed with this, sort off felt cheaply made for me.
The script was all over the place and the fellow actors/esses were a let down.

Give it a 4/10.

OK, saw it. Were I to rate it, I'd go 6/10.
It has that horrid version of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill song at the beginning, that I'd advise people to FF through as it serves no purpose beyond WTF.
The story is simple, done before lots and adds nothing to the genre. Repace is convincing as personal security but her character has moments where you doubt that she'd hold back as much giving another the option draw, like at the beginning, though in others she's more convincingly calculating and so it feels uneven. There are a couple of good fight scenes with Repace, though others felt overly long and unrealistic as if she was being given repeat chances to prevail. Her charge, Zoe, played by Sophie Nelisse does little beyond be annoying except for the odd moment of humanity along the way and coming good at the end in typical fashion. And Indira Varma wasn't used to good effect either, which is a waste.
Having a consistent big bad may've helped as it just feels like a random string of useless and faceless henchmen is all you get.
Overall I'd say it's yet another Netflix film that fails to fill in the blanks and hangs around in scenes that add literally nothing.

I liked the movie (7/10) but absolutely loved the Kate Bush cover song by 'Candy Says'. It takes all sorts I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom