NEWS: LG plans 48-inch OLED TV

Just as I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 49” XF9005! Oh well, no dates give so hopefully I will get a couple of years out of it.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to a smaller OLED TV, but ended up getting a 55” OLED. It is a bit large for the room, and may have to sell it the next time I move as it won’t fit most places I can afford. So I hope there is a 48” (and maybe 42”) by the time I next move.

This is what I’ve been waiting for! I only have a 13ft x 13ft living room. Anything bigger than 50” is just way too large. However, I always spend upwards of 1k on a new Tv. It’s been hugely frustrating for me the last few years to see manufacturers push all of their new tech into 55” plus. Let’s hope they still have all the bells & whistles that the larger sizes have.

Best bit of news in years. Hate those monstrous things for the average sitting room and normal TV watching.
Please come quickly before I kick the proverbial bucket. It'll replace my current Sony 42"

I think they should have gone for 50" to match old plasma sizes (eg 50", 58"). 50 is 49.5 anyways and works better visually especially with 2.35 movies and 1.33.

As someone who went from 46" to 49" to 50" to 55" over the years, I don't understand why they went for this archaic size over 50" and the only reason can be the original glass size I suppose.

Good to know they are listening as clearly there is a market, pleased for all of you now who will now be able to have the beauty of Oled.

This is what I’ve been waiting for! I only have a 13ft x 13ft living room. Anything bigger than 50” is just way too large. However, I always spend upwards of 1k on a new Tv. It’s been hugely frustrating for me the last few years to see manufacturers push all of their new tech into 55” plus. Let’s hope they still have all the bells & whistles that the larger sizes have.

That's bigger than my living room and the 55 inching mine feels perfect. I sit about 6.5 feet from it :D

That's bigger than my living room and the 55 inching mine feels perfect. I sit about 6.5 feet from it :D

Mine is in an alcove by the side of a chimney breast so I can’t get anything bigger than 50” in the space. If I could I most definitely would.

Over the moon, been holding off the Sony 49 inch hdr set for my gaming room but nearly bit a few times in the last month. 55 is way too big for my eyes at 1 metre for gaming

Looks at my 65" OLED in my 12ft x 8ft room and thinks maybe you should try a 77" OLED TV in your 13ft x 13ft room :rotfl:

Last edited:
I think they should have gone for 50" to match old plasma sizes (eg 50", 58"). 50 is 49.5 anyways and works better visually especially with 2.35 movies and 1.33.

As someone who went from 46" to 49" to 50" to 55" over the years, I don't understand why they went for this archaic size over 50" and the only reason can be the original glass size I suppose.
The actual width of a 55" OLED is the same width as a 50" pioneer plasma without speakers when you include the plasma bezels..

My 65" OLED is the same width as my old 50" pioneer plasma when you include the plasma side speakers ;)

My pioneer 50" plasma is 123cm wide including bezels
Sony 55" OLED is 123cm wide

My pioneer 50" plasma is 145cm wide including side speakers
My Sony 65" OLED is 145cm wide

Last edited:
Just the right size for my bedroom ;)

I have the 65" in the bedroom and the 50" in living room....;)
Blimey! You must be well paid and have a good job. I have just one TV in the house but most rooms have good quality radios for the best entertainment but no visuals of course.

What are these "r-a-d-i-o-s" you mention? They sound very science fiction!

What are these "r-a-d-i-o-s" you mention? They sound very science fiction!
Indeed! But it's surprising how many people don't have a radio, don't want them or think it's strange to want to access their delights.
I stared off with a Crystal set, then radios from Radio Rentals then FM ones and now DAB and Internet radio. Others just gape morning, noon and night at moving images on flat screen TV's whether appropriate or not!

Indeed! But it's surprising how many people don't have a radio, don't want them or think it's strange to want to access their delights.
I must admit I don't have a standalone radio here at home anymore. I used to use the tuner built into my AVR but that's in another room now. Of-course anyone with a digital TV has access to radio stations but how many of us use that feature?!

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to seeing this proposed new OLED television...

Blimey! You must be well paid and have a good job. I have just one TV in the house but most rooms have good quality radios for the best entertainment but no visuals of course.
I wish I was well paid :(

Most of my luxury items were bought by me doing overtime as I was working 59 hours per week almost every week for about 8 years (2010 to 2018)

But For the Last few months I only been doing 50 hours per week :smashin:

My plan is to go from this 55inch B7 to 65inch 2019 or 2020 LG oled series.
I wrote before that my B7 develop small burn in but in the end i stoped to care for things like this so my next tv is again oled

Nice news. I can finally replace my Panasonic plasma with an OLED. Hopefully they are not budget specs as I still want a high end picture just like my plasma was at the time.

Happy days. Mrs MB occasionally asks if we can get a "smaller tv". My 4" panny from 2005 has a huge frame around the screen, so i reckon this would be smaller. What's not to like ?

MB

Sadly too late for me; I gave in, bought the 55" (it's gorgeous, sure) and then had to spend another £600 completely redesigning the living room to make it fit.

But great news for my in-laws, who have just moved to a new place that has a wall that won't take anything bigger than 50" tops, when they also come to replace their 2010 TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom