NEWS: Sky and Netflix team up for Sky Q customers

I'm already questioning Sky's benefits over Netflix. In the little time I get to watch, I usually end up watching a film.

The article says from today we can sign up for access. However this is incorrect as I just called Sky and they said there is no more information at the moment. We should call at the end of October when they have more information.

I'm already questioning Sky's benefits over Netflix. In the little time I get to watch, I usually end up watching a film.

I would agree with that. If Sky didn't have F1, they would be gone. Already wondering about a Now TV F1 pass, but its not in UHD.

As much as I would like the integration (should I ever switch the Sky Q) - I would lose Dolby Vision HDR that I get through my LG B7 OLED. Sky may introduce HDR next year (HDR10?) but that would still be a downgrade. It may be good for the average viewer, but not for me.

I’m not sure how Sky benefit from this. Surely no one is going to subscribe to Sky because Netflix is there. All they are doing is increase Netflix visibility for existing subscribers thus encouraging those who weren’t aware of, or have never tried Netflix to give it a go.
Netflix must be delighted.

If you've got a Dolby Vision TV you'd have to be bonkers to go for this and miss out on all the Netflix DV content and be forced to watch it in SDR or at best HDR10 (when sky q eventually gets hdr). Not interested in this in the slightest

Article says it will cost an additional 10 pounds. as this is the same as the top tier Netflix package, does that mean you will also get the 4 additional profiles and be able to watch on unlimited devices?
Also what if you already have Netflix sub, can you just sign into the app and a way you go?

Article says it will cost an additional 10 pounds. as this is the same as the top tier Netflix package, does that mean you will also get the 4 additional profiles and be able to watch on unlimited devices?
Also what if you already have Netflix sub, can you just sign into the app and a way you go?

If you already sub to Netflix, the article says you can link your account, so no extra to pay to Sky.

I’m not sure how Sky benefit from this. Surely no one is going to subscribe to Sky because Netflix is there. All they are doing is increase Netflix visibility for existing subscribers thus encouraging those who weren’t aware of, or have never tried Netflix to give it a go.
The sceptic in me thinks....will adverts be inserted prior to showing Netflix progs?

If you already sub to Netflix, the article says you can link your account, so no extra to pay to Sky.
Thanks, I don't know how I missed that last sentence in the article lol.

For those of us that already subscribe to Netflix it will be good that we can link our account.

It's a tricky one for me as currently via my LG B7 I get HDR but not sure I get proper Atmos.
But with Sky you may get Atmos but not HDR at this time.

My understanding is that the £10 a month figure gets you HD Netflix and Sky Boxsets. Currently boxsets is £5 per month and Netflix HD £8 per month so you save £3 per month on the subscription to both those services separately. Also i believe you will retain Netflix login details etc so will be able to continue to access Netflix via mobile, tablet or TV apps etc. It seems to get a bit more complicated and expensive if you bring UHD into the equation.

For those of us that already subscribe to Netflix it will be good that we can link our account.

It's a tricky one for me as currently via my LG B7 I get HDR but not sure I get proper Atmos.
But with Sky you may get Atmos but not HDR at this time.
Good point.
It’s very much wait and see.
From a picture quality viewpoint, I’m interested to see if 24fps (or 23.976) will be passed through or not. 25fps is Sky’s default isn’t it? Not at all certain that would look good.

At least when Netflix does arrive on Sky Q it might be a way in to try and negotiate a reduced monthly fee if you have both Sky Q and Netflix already. I'll still be able to log in to Netflix via my TV app and get Dolby Vision even if I move my account to Sky.

Yep, if losing HDR, DV in particular, it would be silly to watch via Sky.

Maybe it’s aimed at those on the HD pack on Netflix, I presume it’s SDR?

Here in Ireland it’s 16 euros per month, Netflix stand alone is 14 euros here.

So pay more and lose HDR!?

The money saving possibility comes from paying for Netflix through Sky. Top tier Netflix subscription is more than the getting the same access through the combined Sky price. Not sure if it's still worth it for those who aren't on the top Netflix tier though?

I believe SKY gets a cut on each subscription they get via their packages. Netflix has done it for years to get onto as many platforms as possible

Must be the same case with Spotify too although I would love for it to be a bit better and more integrated.

YouTube would be the holy grail for me on true integration to the extent they are with Netflix too totally blur between online and regular TV cntwnt

I think some people are being a tad over-simplistic.

If you currently have both Sky Q and Netflix you don't 'lose' watching in HDR or anything else.

You can still watch in HDR in exactly the same as you do now, using the app on your TV, or whatever. If you watch Marco Polo or Stranger Things in DV HDR now, you'll still be able to do so in exactly the same way once this goes live. The app you use now won't disappear.

But the vast majority of content on Netflix isn't HDR, and will be just as good watched via your Sky box, and a hell of a lot easier. Watching via the app will then be a bit more fiddly than on your Sky Q box, but no more so than it is at the moment.

Plans are afoot to launch HDR on Sky Q. Whilst some flavours of HDR may be seen as slightly superior to others, I really don't see any point in getting too wound up about getting one rather than the other. And, as I say, you can still get the original on your app if you want, anyway.

As for content...look, I have Sky Q for sport, and don't take the movies at the moment, as have so many Blu-ray Discs. However, I am thinking of including movies in my package, and have been looking into it.

The standard of content on offer if you subscribe to Sky Movies is hugely better than Netflix. It's not even close. Just going into the menu on my Sky Q box and seeing the number of 4K films available - both classics and recent - made my mouth water the last time I checked it out.

Ultimately, when this arrives, all it will mean for me is that I get Netflix more easily (most of the time), and possibly my monthly payments across the two platforms might be a couple of quid less a month - certainly no more. And anything I watch now, in whatever quality I watch it now, I'll still be able to watch later, in exactly the same way as I do now.

So nothing gets more expensive, more difficult, or worse quality. Some things get cheaper and less difficult.

What's not to like?

Reading some of the comments here you'd think the deal forced Netflix to stop broadcasting DV HDR altogether.

Unless I'm missing something? I'm always happy to have flaws in my argument pointed out.

Yes, I do understand I wouldn't "lose" DV HDR and that I can still use the Netflix app on my TV (I wouldn't be very good at my job if I didn't know that!) - however you would've thought that the integration of Netflix onto Sky Q would've made things simpler for consumers, not more difficult.

But then again, this does make it simpler for the "mass market / average consumer" who doesn't necessarily care about HDR anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom