Philips Announce 804 and 854 OLED and 7304, 8804 LCD TVs for 2019

No mention of the HDMI chipset version? Could be a contender if 2.1.

Thank you Andy, please note that this is the 3rd generation of p5 with DV and roughly 20 percent improvement versus 2018 generation 2
No info so far about hdmi 2.1 and don’t expect any from Philips
The interesting news amongst others is that LCD fald with DV and b&w sound...

Direct lit and fald are two different beasts. No mention of fald anywhere that I’ve seen.... inc Dutch news sites.

Direct lit and fald are two different beasts. No mention of fald anywhere that I’ve seen.... inc Dutch news sites.
Really? Please explain as it is the same for me. Did I miss something ?
Direct lid is opposite to edge lid...

Really? Please explain as it is the same for me. Did I miss something ?
Direct lid is opposite to edge lid...

Direct lit can be with or without fald. So the latter has no zones just the sheet of LEDs behind the lcd screen. Hisense 6 series is direct lit, for example.

Sorry - I should have been clearer before

Direct lit can be with or without fald. So the latter has no zones just the sheet of LEDs behind the lcd screen. Hisense 6 series is direct lit, for example.

Sorry - I should have been clearer before
Dont apologies, i really didn’t know that. Tells you that you learn everyday
Thank you. Need to look into this further

Édit: bloody hell..I am very surprised I didn’t understood this until today...distinction is subtle BUT it is there
Direct lid is better than edge but nowhere as good as fald...
https://mightygadget.co.uk/4k-tv-te...local-dimming-fald-vs-direct-lit-vs-edge-lit/

Last edited:
Yes, and then not all edge lit sets are created equally. As with most things, implementation is paramount.

A mid range set called The One. Did something get lost in translation?!

B8A74039-28DE-4112-8A61-68D39165CF04.jpeg
A mid range set called The One. Did something get lost in translation?!

'Philips were keen to emphasis the 7304 LED LCD Performance series / model as ‘The One’. Designed to be the TV that you would recommend to your family and friends as ‘the one TV to watch’

That's most amusing. Sounds like they let the Marketing temp come up with that. Cheese on toast ..

803 was tested here in AV a few weeks ago with great end conclusion ... so I am interested what 804 would bring ... any way they are making great TVs with out any big bang ower the planet like others do ...

Ok, articles are coming now:
1. The oled are interesting indeed with 3rd generation p5
2. If I read right, Philips will support dv and hdr10+ like pana
3. Lcd series 8 is only one with b&w sound like 903 lcd. 400 nits and edge led. Please someone tell Philips it is missing 1000 nits extra for lcd and fald
4. No b&w sound on oled means an oled is on approach by sept..never know with Philips :) like brexit
5. Oled availability? Mid year if we are lucky but I don’t know anymore with Philips...tp vision

Conclusion: oled could be very interesting IF available and priced right. LCD is a massive LETDOWN

Ok, articles are coming now:
3. Lcd series 8 is only one with b&w sound like 903 lcd. 400 nits and edge led. Please someone tell Philips it is missing 1000 nits extra for lcd and fald...LCD is a massive LETDOWN
Edge lit LED is not a major problem if done properly. But there has only ever been one TV that I know of where it has been implemented properly so you can pretty much guarantee it wont be. 400 nits would be an absolute joke if that is true.

Edge lit LED is not a major problem if done properly. But there has only ever been one TV that I know of where it has been implemented properly so you can pretty much guarantee it wont be. 400 nits would be an absolute joke if that is true.
I hope they forgot 1000 in the article
They could at least have tried edge lid but really a top of the range lcd should be fald and they know it

I hope they forgot 1000 in the article
They could at least have tried edge lid but really a top of the range lcd should be fald and they know it
I totally agree. I bought my first Sony TV, the xe90 because it was FALD. But the implementation although decent was still not as good as their next TV up which is edge lit. So although I totally agree that a top end TV should be using FALD tech, but Sony showed that a very good edge lit implementation can perform a lot better than FALD if there aren't enough zones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think any of these lcd sets are top of the range, top of Philips range but looking more like that they will compete with Hisense models like the U7A....

Sony X930e is Edge lit and is amongst the best TV for HDR.

Sony X930e is Edge lit and is amongst the best TV for HDR.
the Sony X930e is different !
""One of the most ingenious new TV technologies of 2016 was Sony’s Slim Backlight Drive. It put two sets of edge-mounted LEDs and two separate LED light plates in sequence to double the number of individually controllable light zones possible with an edge LED lighting system.""
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930E review | TechRadar
Sony XD9305 Ultra HD LED TV: Slim Backlight Drive System
Google Translate

Last edited:
the Sony X930e is different !
""One of the most ingenious new TV technologies of 2016 was Sony’s Slim Backlight Drive. It put two sets of edge-mounted LEDs and two separate LED light plates in sequence to double the number of individually controllable light zones possible with an edge LED lighting system.""
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930E review | TechRadar
Sony XD9305 Ultra HD LED TV: Slim Backlight Drive System
Google Translate
We know :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom