Slight Pixellation

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Watching live TV is fine, no problems.

However, catchup programmes and on demand ocasionally get a slight bit of pixellation every few minutes.

It doesn't really affect the picture much but just want to know.. Any ideas what causes this?

Thanks

Internet download speed too slow or your bandwidth is being maxed out by some other device accessing the internet at the same time?

Thanks for the reply mate
Speed is 70mb down and 2gb takes about 5 minutes to download so can’t be that

Obviously it downloads onto the box before I watch it so don’t see how it could be my connection ?

Last edited:
Does the fault replicate on replay?

So the file is writing ok. What about replay of satellite recordings?

From what i've seen, no it doesn't do it on satellite recordings... Only on catchup/on demand every 5-10 mins or so.

If that is actually the case it is a faulty box. Your only trouble is to reproduce it for $ky.

If that is actually the case it is a faulty box. Your only trouble is to reproduce it for $ky.

Whats the procedure in getting a new box then ?

Ok it does not do it on all catchup downloaded stuff, just some of it.

Just watched a programme with no pixelation whatsoever

Last edited:
Keep an eye on it. If it persists report issue to Sky. If it doesn’t repeat it may just be one of things.

Keep an eye on it. If it persists report issue to Sky. If it doesn’t repeat it may just be one of things.

Will do, thanks .

Is there any chance it could be a software issue ? On the sky forums there’s a few other people with the exacts same problem

Could be although surely everyone would be affected then? As long as it originates on the Sky end of the HDMI lead its their problem.

I have read that thread just now. I take it all with a pinch of salt. It can seem that people are reporting on the same fault but they could all have different faults.
People with multiple replacement boxes may have external issues or a faulty tv but are they experiencing exactly the same symptoms? Does it affect live satellite, recorded satellite, sky downloads and Netflix streams? I suggest that unless all categories are showing the symptoms it must be the box>Sky end of things. If all categories exhibit the symptoms it may still be the box but the display chain also needs further investigation. Of course the fault may not occur often enough to be sure. The logic may be simplistic but until someone explains otherwise I would hold to it.

Could be a slightly dodgy cable connection or a software update that needs a cold (power cycle) reboot.

This isn't meant to sound patronising, but have you tried turning everything off (TV, Sky Box, AV Receiver, Blu Ray Player, Console, ...), unplugging and then plugging back in the HDMI connectors and non-captive power leads, and then turning things back on?

If you do have multiple devices connected to your TV, try just connecting the Sky Box on its own using a different HDMI lead.

In principle the dodgy cable connection should affect all viewing all of the time, but it depends on how the firmware on your Sky Box and/or TV interact with each other over the HDMI connection depending on the mode that Sky Box is in - they could use a completely different "application" for live satellite decoding and viewing vs playing back from disk that has some particular timing requirements that are upset by an intermittent HDMI handshake / communication problem.

Thanks guys.
I've turned it off at the mains for a minute or so, changed HDMI leads still no luck.

It doesn't pixelate on Live TV, or Recorded TV. Just most of the catchup/boxsets

Sky are saying it could be down to my internet, I don't see how this is true though ( if it was streaming then yeah it could be my internet, but as you know the programme gets stored onto the HDD before watching )
Got a 70mb connection with BT. Netflix, Prime etc all stream fine.

Every 15 mins just a mild pixellation
@MarcoDB I'll disconnect my firestick then and see if it makes any difference

Changed my res to 1080i and now much less pixelation ! Thanks :)

Spoke too soon. Still pixelating ocasionally but not as often.

Got a new tv, so that cant be the problem

Obviously if it gets to the point where it's unwatchable i'll have to get Sky out. Only thing is, others have this issue so replacing the box may not even make any difference.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom