Sonos Beam Soundbar Review & Comments

Interested in one of these but concerned where the cables will go with my LG C8 TV. The connections seem to be at the back meaning if the beam sat in front of my TV the wires will just have to drape around the base of the TV??

Still no DTS. Perhaps I'm missing something here (and it may be likely!), but I still can't fathom how something this level of premium doesn't have DTS support.

Sonos argues that there's no DTS streaming anywhere (paraphrased), but that practically ignores an entire market that buys physical media.

Says to me that Sonos only want the casual consumer with deep pockets.

(I'm not being trite deliberately, just making an observation on what I have seen over the years and being frustrated that I want to spend money on a nice product, but can't justify it when others are better suited for our needs, for considerably less outlay).

I struggle to see why you don't count the PlayBase as a SoundBar, what else is it? I certainly chose between it and a PlayBar as they both make sound for the whole room from the bottom of the TV. Also unlike the other two the PlayBase includes a Sub...

I am jumping on the Sonos train now that I have moved to a larger house and this is an ideal entry point for the smaller livingroom we will be doing most of our regular TV viewing in. High End Audio / Atmos etc can be reserved for the cinema room where it can be utilised properly.

Looking forward to picking one up next time I'm in the airport.

Have to admit, I am loving mine. So convenient, so pretty, yet sounds so good.

And this was replacing Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 setup with a Sony DR1040

I am jumping on the Sonos train now that I have moved to a larger house and this is an ideal entry point for the smaller livingroom we will be doing most of our regular TV viewing in. High End Audio / Atmos etc can be reserved for the cinema room where it can be utilised properly.

Looking forward to picking one up next time I'm in the airport.

This is exactly what I have - 40" TV with Sonos Beam in the living room, high end stuff in my cinema room

I have had a Playbar with two Play One rears and a sub for a few years now. I bought a Beam as soon as it was announced (in part due to a tidy £150 discount from when Sonos bricked the original CR100 controller).

I think the remote control conversation isn't particularly valid. Ignoring the ARC route, you can reach the Beam to read the volume up/down off pretty much any remote. I use my Sky remote. It works a treat.

I have the Beam mounted on the wall below a TV in the kitchen. My personal view is that it is perfect. I probably wouldn't bother with a Playbar in comparison. As good as the bar sounds, the Beam is really tidy and sound amazing.

I have the Beam mounted on the wall below a TV in the kitchen. My personal view is that it is perfect. I probably wouldn't bother with a Playbar in comparison. As good as the bar sounds, the Beam is really tidy and sound amazing.
I’ve only listened to one in John Lewis on a test and I wasn’t knocked out compared to a pair of Ones. Was that just the environment it was it or is that fair? Was looking for one to go in a kitchen as well.

Also had a wee shot of one in JLs today.

Sounded ok, quite clear dialogue without being tinny.

Great size, a bit like a flattened baguette.

They’re going to sell a boatload of them.

I’ve only listened to one in John Lewis on a test and I wasn’t knocked out compared to a pair of Ones. Was that just the environment it was it or is that fair? Was looking for one to go in a kitchen as well.

We have a 3 in the kitchen and often play music on both the Beam and the 3. The richness from the Beam is really noticeable. I am a big fan of the ones but I definitely prefer the Beam to a couple of them.

I struggle to see why you don't count the PlayBase as a SoundBar, what else is it? I certainly chose between it and a PlayBar as they both make sound for the whole room from the bottom of the TV. Also unlike the other two the PlayBase includes a Sub...

Agreed that the Playbase sounds great ... certainly better than the Playbar IMHO ..... but what do you mean that it includes a Sub? Ok its got better bass than the Bar (and probably Beam) but it doesn't come with a sub ... or am I missing something?

Steve
My playbar is connected via optical and my TV remote controls it - don’t see why this should be any different ?

Steve
My playbar is connected via optical and my TV remote controls it - don’t see why this should be any different ?
Isn’t that Via the ir receiver on the playbar though? I haven’t checked to see if the beam has one or not but might explain the difference

Loving the Beam - it adds clarity and bass to normal TV viewing, but I haven’t been blown away, it’s subtle. That’s what I wanted though, not a huge wired set up that destroys any relationship you had with your neighbours. Paired with my two Play 1’s it’s perfect for the living room.
The only issue I have is that whenever I switch my Samsung KS8000 on, it defaults to the TV’s speakers and I’m unable to adjust the volume. I’ve checked all the settings....anyone else have this issue?

Will a Harmony remote work with the Beam?

Are there any plans to add Truplay for Android?
Is there decent enough bass at low volume levels without the sub?

ah ok, not even for explosions etc in films?

Are there any plans to add Truplay for Android?
Is there decent enough bass at low volume levels without the sub?
I asked Sonos this very question, they are hoping to add it one day, but because there are so many different Android devices with different mics, it's not as straightforward as just using Apple.

I asked Sonos this very question, they are hoping to add it one day, but because there are so many different Android devices with different mics, it's not as straightforward as just using Apple.

For this very reason a good friend of mine bought an older model iPad Mini off of eBay and uses it as a dedicated controller and Truplay tuner

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom