The Purge Series 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I was curious about this in it's main thread a few weeks back. I've not seen any of the films, but wondered if I could just jump straight into the series.

However your thoughts have just cemented what I've sadly already heard. And with an abundance of other high quality TV available, I'll definitely be letting this one slide.

Thanks for taking the hit! :smashin:

Thanks for the review.

I've only seen the first episode and a bit of the 2nd, but as soon as the first flashback started in the 2nd episode that was enough to tell me to stop and your review has confirmed that.

Flashbacks are so old hat now, it's lazy writing where they try to build up tension by showing some exciting activity in the current day but then intersperse that with numerous flashbacks, so what was likely a 5 minutes scene they can drag out across the whole episode.

I knew this would be the case with this show but hoped for different after none in the first episode.

I feel bad that you had to sit through all episodes of this dross!

hey guy/gals,

Have episode 3 tonight... *So what do I think so far?*
Is it brilliant, eh no, is it crap, eh no again. It's somewhere in the middle I say.
It's not The Wire or Homicide On The Streets for sure but either is it Home or Away or Neighbors either. Will I keep watching? Yes I will but I wanted it to be a bit more gritty, powerful and have a message but I suppose it's not meant too either.
I am being nice compared to the reviews online that say *Don't bother*
Don't know how they're going to fill 10 episodes but it will be interesting.
I am more interested in watching Sean Penn first TV series *the first* and that's had mixed response also. Are we being spoiled with so many series available to us?
I watched 87 different series last year (yeah, I need a life LOL) and we don't have time now to watch crap with the busy lives we all lead, we rather watch 6 episodes of Wolf Hall then 24 episodes of Troy, the fallen City.
Peace :D

Thanks for saving me from this Cas,

I was looking at this but decided to watch Homeland instead as it's one I have never seen....Think I made the right choice! I have not seen the wire either (hangs head in shame!)

Total toss. Poor scripts. Poor acting - Reed Diamond, bow your head in shame - and a lack of horror or gore. If your'e happy with soft lame lesbianism and off screen violence then watch away.

Extremely boring, didn’t even make it through the first episode. Far too many better shows to watch these days.

Total toss. Poor scripts. Poor acting - Reed Diamond, bow your head in shame - and a lack of horror or gore. If your'e happy with soft lame lesbianism and off screen violence then watch away.

Agree the script is laughable at times with questionable acting. I have absolutely no problem with lame lesbianism though. It's not exactly Tipping the Velvet standard, you're right.

Had this on my watchlist, but I'll remove it now, thanks for saving me from wasting at least a couple of hours! :)

Only started it earlier tonight and to be honest the first episode was enough for me, no way ill be returning to this either.

My wife is a big fan of the movies and so was really looking forward to this and, probably, was a bit of a target audience for the series..... Even she has told me this is a bit crap. :D

My wife is a big fan of the movies and so was really looking forward to this and, probably, was a bit of a target audience for the series..... Even she has told me this is a bit crap. :D
Yeah both my wife and I really enjoyed the films but this was a big let down for us:(

I must be the only one that was enjoying it, then my prime ran out

It's really hit or miss. I only have one friend who's also watching, but that's it. I'll watch to the end just to see how the "twists" in the respective stories play out, it really makes you wonder who's up to what, and why.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom